Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PME Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro STEM

on February 6, 2007
Excellent service delivering this product as I received it the next day!

Two things I'm not happy with:

Every time the peddle is depressed there is a very loud clicking sound from the machine which is very annoying--sometimes having to backup again and relisten to what was being said.

The other one is...even with the volume turned up at its highest, if the person dictating does not talk directly into their recorder, then it can be very difficult hearing them. My old machine would pick it up much better when the volume was turned up and 95% of the time would be able to figure out what was being dictated.

I rated it a four as no problem if dictator talks into their recorder other than the clicking of the peddle.
on August 1, 2007
I've been transcribing with an Olympus for six years. I needed another machine, so I bought the Sony M-2000...not a great product for the money. Even if you have the volume turned all the way up to 10 (highest), you can't hear the person very well and there's a muffled quality, even with the tone on high. I can't believe the difference in the quality of sound between the two. I'm disappointed with the Sony, and I actually bought it because I thought Sony would be better! Ha!
on January 3, 2007
I purchased this for my girlfriend for her birthday because she is completing her masters and needs it to transcribe interviews she's done for her thesis. She was previously using an older model and has fallen in love with this one, so far she is getting the job done twice as fast at a better quality
on February 28, 2016
Works as advertised but I have now gone through two others of these machines. They have a remarkable propensity to simply stop recording or playing already recorded tapes. The first one I bought really could change the frequency/speed of the tape quite a bit to be able to discern voices recorded on microcassette recorders that had low battery strength. This one doesn't do as well. Not exactly sure why, but it works well enough that I will keep it.
on August 19, 2009
Unfortunately, the office needed to replace the prior transcription machine and this is the unit that was bought. No matter what we tried, even with the volume up to 10, you just cannot hear. So, I now have to use my Bose earbuds to do my work. Not really fair for the money spent on the unit. Look elsewhere.
on February 22, 2011
When I started at my office I used the Sony M-2000 they had here. Since then, that machine died and we've now gone through 2 more of the same machine (the compatible foot pedals have also had short lives in our experience). It feels like for the past 5 years I've been either purchasing a new M-2000 or a new foot pedal because they're rarely working at the same time. As I've seen in several other reviews, the sound quality is HORRIBLE. With the volume on 10 you need absolute silence to hear the tape. All our machines started out fine, but the volume (or lack thereof) quickly became a problem. Our last machine did the same thing and at the end wouldn't read the foot pedal either. We bought 2 new foot pedals thinking it was the pedal that wasn't working, but after both of the new pedals failed to work, it looks like the issue is with the M-2000 (and what good is a transcriber without the pedal!? Without it, it's just a tape player). I'm now searching for a new transcriber set and will NOT be throwing any more money away on either the M-2000 or the M-2020 models.
on February 13, 2011
I've received these from two, no three, employers and bought one of my own before that, and another over a Thanksgiving weekend when there was nothing else available and also, because they are really inexpensive in comparison to the other transcribers - but, you get what you pay for.

I have thrown away a ton of micro-cassettes, thinking they were faulty, before i finally figured out it was the TRANSCRIBER that was awful. Do not buy this and, if you must use this bc your boss gives it to you, buy a Pearlcorder or even a Panasonic, pay for it yourself if your boss won't, because it will save you hours and hours of frustration. You could probably use a Dora the Explorer or Barbie Doll tape player to better effect that this trashy Sony, in my opinion.

P.S. I gave it one star bc this site won't let you give zero or negative stars. .

S
on April 14, 2009
Sony M-2000 Microcassette Transcriber/Recorder

I purchased this Transcriber after using a 3M-Harris Transcriber for over 20 years. The Volume is a definite problem. Even with the volume turned all the way up, voices are muffled and very hard to hear. Also, when the foot pedal is activated, there is a loud clicking noise that sometimes overrides what one is trying to transcribe. I have tried numerous headsets in an attempt to get better sound quality and, so far, the best is the headset that came with my Sony Walkman (Model SRF-M86V). However, the sound volume and quality are not perfected with this headset -- but much better than with the headsets I have used that are designed to be used with transcribers. I WILL be shopping for another transcriber -- and will write this one off.
on March 31, 2011
I was very impressed with how fast the product arrived! It was basically all set up and ready to go. I was very disappointed with the audio. There were times when the tape sounded so muffled I couldn't catch the voice. When I backed it up and replayed it the sound was noticibly better. It was kind of a pain to have to keep rewinding so I could get a fairly clear sound. Don't have time to return it. Will be looking for a different machine in the near future.
on February 3, 2016
This is the worst transcribing machine I have used in the 40 years of my legal career. I was able to use this machine after first receiving it but, after a very short time, the problems are exactly the same as described in other reviews, i.e. absolutely cannot hear unless the dictator is speaking DIRECTLY into their dictating equipment and the pedal is a literal nightmare!! Not only that, the two Sony M-2000's I purchased were less than $100.00 at an office supply depot, unlike the ones I find on Amazon. Is not worth what I spent much less what Amazon charges. Look elsewhere for a different transcriber!!