on October 18, 2004
For anyone who needs truly high-quality voice reproduction for computer-based voice applications, this headset is wonderful.

I recently stated using a Voice-Over-IP application (Skype) with my portable computer and looked through the reviews of conventional and USB headsets on Amazon and elsewhere. After reading the reviews on the monaural version of this headset, I thought I would give the stereo version a try for the few extra dollars in cost. I haven't regretted in any way.

Voice quality for my phone application is excellent and when recording my own voice for other uses using full CD-quality capture it is good. Even this use would be excellent if my computer was USB 2.0 capable, though (I have USB 1.1). When using very high sampling rates with any USB microphone, occasional "clipping" of the recorded voice occurs (do a Google search on this behavior for all USB microphones using Windows XP). It's never enough to be a problem for voice-activated applications but it is annoying. Reducing the sampling rate and/or bit-depth should mitigate this problem for those who have the old USB ports on their computer. As I have used this on computers that support USB 2.0, I know the clipping problem is only with my older computer. At least it doesn't clip during Skype broadband conversations (which I'm always told sound as good as if I was standing right next to the person). There is no background hiss or static because it uses the digital USB port instead of the analog (and noisy) standard sound ports.

The Telex H-851 is a ruggedized headset with exceptional voice and sound quality. It will surprise you with its performance. Thankfully, with its construction quality, I expect it to last for years.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Thank you for your feedback.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again

Your Recently Viewed Items and Featured Recommendations