Sony MDR-E828LP Fontopia Earbuds with Winding Case (Discontinued by Manufacturer)
Product Packaging: Standard PackagingChange
Price:$49.99+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on November 21, 2004
I owned these for a few years, and I found the sound quality to be excellent... they were very comfortable, and you will notice the difference in sound quality when compared with the standard earphones supplied with most portable CD players. If you know certain songs very well, you will especially notice the difference --- you will actually HEAR the bass guitar when listening to rock bands for instance! I found myself listening to all my favourite songs all over again with renewed interest!

My dog recently chomped on one of these, afterwards it sounded like plastic film rattling inside them, so I ended up replacing these with Sony MDR-ED31LP (supposed to be the next model up), and they are hopeless in comparison (those earphones don't fit in your ear as well as the rubber inserts crumple when you insert them). I should have got these Sony MDR-E828LP earphones again. :-(
VINE VOICEon August 18, 2004
I've used many headphones as I am addicted to my MP3 player. But none of them even come close to the sound clarity and comfort of these Sony Ear-Buds. And the best part is, for under $10 it really is a steal!!!

I use these to do nearly everything from yard work to biking to running and I have no problems keeping them in my ears. I do knock them out on occasion, but that is always my fault and not the ear-buds.

If you are getting ear-buds, get these. There is nothing else out there that compares to these and it is going for an unbeatable price.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on March 12, 2005
Comfort: The Sennheiser MX400 earbuds are perfectly circular in shape thus seemingly fitting better inside your ear. While the Sony MDR-E828 are also circular but slightly tapered which initially fits inside your ear, but after extensive listening they cause your ear to ache due to the tapered edge. Thus the Sennheiser MX400 wins in comfort for long-term listening.

Sound Quality: The Sennheiser MX400 has a neutral refined sound with fair bass response and smooth treble. The Sony MDR-E828 has a brighter sound with slightly higher bass output and high treble. Generally fans of rock, dance and rap music will prefer the Sony MDR-E828. The Sennheiser MX400 can handle those genres, but not sound as "pumped up" with the Sony MDR-E828. Sound quality is a matter of personal choice, so you decide who wins.

Features: Both offer the same features: same cord length and winding cases.

Overall this is a tough decision, but if I had to declare a winner I would say the Sony MDR-E828 wins as it is almost $5 cheaper than the Sennheiser MX400.
on November 29, 2006
The sound quality is very good. However, my ears would inevitably ache after about 30 minutes of wear. The earbuds are hard plastic (albeit with a thin foam cover), which means my ear must yield to the earbud and not the other way around. These might be a great buy for someone with average to large ear apertures, but probably not for someone with smaller ears. I recommend the "marshmallow"-style ear buds (such as Sony MDR-EX71SLA), with the silicone gasket that conforms to the ear. They're more expensive, but they're comfortable for hours even in my tiny ears.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on September 28, 2006
I bought these to use with my Samsung Z5 mp3 player. While the packaged earbuds were good, the sound was just drowning in bass. I like good bass, but not when it completely overpowers everything else. I had given the Sony 51's a try and promptly returned them; they sounded ok, but kind of made my ears hurt, and for $40, they weren't worth it. I had read some reviews on these 828's, so I decided to go with these. The sound is incredible. The bass is well defined, but is balanced nicely with the midrange and treble. I was literally hearing nuances in the music that I didn't with other buds. They fit very well (though any earbuds will start to feel uncomfortable after a period of extended use, which is discouraged anyway). A set of black foam earbud pads is included. I always prefer to use the pads, but it is of course your own call whether or not you use them. The pads will wear out, but you can buy exact replacements at Radio Shack (pack of 4 for $4) that fit perfectly. Personally, I usually end up replacing the pads every few months or so.

My only gripe about the 828's (and the only reason for 4 instead of 5 stars) is that the cord is too short for my taste. About another foot or so would be nice. Otherwise, this is a great product and at around $10 is a STEAL.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
These headphones do reach the high and low ranges with adequate volume, and for the price are very good. They are better than most headphones that are included with portable audio players.

Compared to Sennheiser MX500 headphones, these have louder bass, but not too loud. The volume of all frequencies is just about right. The MX500's main drawback is quieter bass, which can usually be fixed with a slight adjustment to the EQ if your audio device has one.

The Sony MDR-E818LP do, again, have better overall sound quality at all ranges than headphones that were free with your equipment (or cheap headphones for the same price), but the first thing I notice when using these and comparing them to the MX500 is a difference in sound quality between low and high frequencies. Starting fairly close to midrange and going up, the Sony's have an obvious difference in sound. They are still better than any free headphones I have used.

I prefer the Sennheiser MX500 because I would rather have more even and better clarity accross the board (I find it easier to adjust to lower bass volume than varied sound quality). They are only a few dollars more. However, if you just bought some audio device and the headphones are not good (a near certainty), these will sound fabulous in comparison. If you are very picky about sound quality and generally use more expensive headphones, you might still be pleased with what these headphones will do for the price and want to use them when you want to avoid risk to your more good headphones.

It should be noted that the Sennheiser MX500's are not the best available either, only very good compred to most others, so I am not saying they are an absolute better choice. Take your pick based on the differences, they are both well above the POS free headphones you are wanting to replace.

It should also be noted that some reviews of the Sennheisers say similar things about the high end of THOSE headphones, but those reviews must be comparing the MX500 to even more expensive headphones. The Sennheisers are definitely very good for their own price.
on November 14, 2004
I read several reviews of these headphones here at Amazon about a month ago and decided that I give them a chance when my current headphones broke. My sub-par Koss clip-ons died on me last Friday after 4-months and the standard pair that came with my Rio Cali had broken weeks after purchase, so I decided to purchase a pair.

I bought them at my local Sears for $10 rather than order them from Amazon because I needed them ASAP. These headphones more than exceed my expectations. My previous experiences with bud-style headphones have been pretty bad. These however, had excellent sound quality, above-average bass, and fit into my ears quite nicely. I don't have any problem with the length of the cord and I tend to keep my MP3 player clipped to my waist while I listen to it.

The winding case is very easy to use and is a nice edition as it prevents my headphones from getting tangled in my backpack or purse when not in use. Also included are removable pads that fit over the tips of the headphones themselves for a better fit.

All in all, I'd recommend these headphones even if you're not normally a fan of bud-style headphones. Their excellent sound quality and low price are sure to please.
on January 13, 2005
These headphones, like most headphones, sound great compared to speakers at a similar price.

However, for something this cheap I've always liked Sony ear-buds because of the case -- most headphones are awkward and delicate for traveling. This winding case was great until mine stopped winding after four months.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
If you're willing to spend a lot of money, of course there are better headphones out there, but you can't compare these to a $200 set. Or can you?

The best things about these headphones besides their great performance to price ratio come from the well thought out design.

The cord material is durable and supple--so it's unlikely to get kinked or tangled (which would shorten the life of the headphone set).

The cord is just long enough without being too long. Whomever designed this realized that an unnecessarily longer cord would get caught on things and be a pain in the butt to wrap up.

The wind up case is nice, but these have been around a long time.

Best of all is the volume control right where the chord splits for your left and right earphones. It's a lot easier to find than if it were elsewhere; it has a nice range so that you don't find yourself needing to pull out your mp3 player to get it louder or softer than the line controller allows; and it slides instead of being indexed, allowing for even the slightest adjustment.

BOTTOM LINE: I thought I was just buying the cheapest set of decent headphones I could find, and ended up with a real quality item I'll likely be using for years to come.

Sony never disappoints.
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on October 7, 2011
These earphones have always stood the test of time, and the L-connector helps them last a year or more if your careful. Even jogging the buds aren't uncomfortable & I listen to music at least 3 hours a day. I think the buds become more comfortable with use. When working out, you should be careful not to get them too damp during a heavy workout (they are plastic, not gels remember?) The price is great, and they are always good as a backup pair.

As with all earphones/buds, be careful listening to these outside. These buds can easily block out most noise and conversation, even at a low-to- moderate level; which is a bonus in a gym or subway. The sound is clear, with enough bass (just enough) yet the treble is a bit on the high side, but not unpleasant.

The headphone part of this is "in ear" (hard plastic) with optional foam covers; not earbuds with the gel covers.. I've always replaced the standard earphones with these & used these without the foam because it's more comfortable.

I like the long 22 inch cord. The plastic "winding" case is pretty useless, and doesn't wind the cord. It does keep a new replacement set of buds nice until use.
After trying different brands, I always come back to these(my 4th pair), which get the job done for a great price.