Sennheiser PMX 60 Lightweight Portable Headphones with Neckband (Discontinued by Manufacturer)
Product Packaging: Standard PackagingChange
Price:$33.49 + Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on July 18, 2003
I bought these headphones after being totally dis-satisfied with the Sennheiser MX300 earbuds. These are very uncomfortable and sound too bright in my opinion.
I went out and bought the Sennheiser PMX60's. These were perfect as I cycle and need something that doesn't go on the top of the head.
As sound quailty goes, these things are amazing! Beautiful, strong bass and crisp highs. The volume even goes very high compared to other headphones. Well done Sennheiser!
The reason why I am returning these, is because although they are one of the best sounding headphones I have ever heard, they leak WAY too much sound. Anyone in the same room can here the music that I'm playing quite well. Every word is audible to the outside listener. For me this makes then very unattractive.
I'm sad to part with these as they sound so good, but I need something a bit quiter to the public.
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on July 13, 2004
These headphones are amazing. The price is extremely low for the quality of these headphones.
They're extremely comfortable; the most comfortable headphones of any style I've ever worn. Being a huge audiophile, I'm picky about my headphones, and these have beautiful clarity. The range is great as well, the highs are perfect. The mids and lows are right on as well. As for breaking them in, the bass will only get better with time, so that's even better.
Sennheiser PMX60s get LOUD! If you have hardware that can push it, these can bring you to ear drum shattering range and still sound crystal clear. The are only two downsides. These are open headphones, so people around you can definetly hear your music as well. But if you're getting open headphones, that's obvious.Also, the cord is kind of short, but it works for me.
The headphones are stylish, light, and very well put together too. All together, their sound quality, range, loudness, style, comfort, durability, design, and construction are all topnotch; not to mention the very low price.
These are great! Pick them up now!
on December 16, 2005
I usually buy behind-the-ear headphones to go with my Ipod because I hate the earplug types, even the overpriced Shure types. Most of the time, I'll buy the Philips HS500 or the Sony MDR-42s for good sound and a cheap price. Finally, I paid $10 more for the Sennheiser PMX60 Headphones and I'm glad I did.

First things first, these headphones can get loud! Every song on my Mp3 player is louder but, the sound quality is still clear. Another thing I noticed was that these headphones are soo much more lighter than the others listed above. Now, I'm not sure about the durability, but so far, so good. The sound quality of the headphones seems to be a big jump from Sony behind-the-ears. The bass isn't as present on these headphones like they were on the Sonys, but I guess thats the trade-in for clear, clear sound.

Overall: May not be suitable for rap music but, sounds great on anything else. 4.5/5
on April 25, 2006
I got these headphones about 2 months ago. I use them exclusivly at the gym and running. They are light,comfortable, and stay in place. Sound quality is very good. They are lacking on the lows and highs, but mid-level sounds are very crisp. I keep reading about how bad these cans leak sound. To be honest, they do, but not as bad as other reviewers make it sound. I asked people around me if they cound hear it when I had it at comforable levels, and no one could. If you crank them way up, (on a noisy treadmill for example), people could hear them up to a couple of feet away. But, most people are 3 feet away on the next machine, so no big deal.

Over all... these are the best headphones I have ever used for working out. They sound great
on May 10, 2005
Sonic Quality: These phones have a very good, balanced sound that covers the entire range well. Bass was a sufficient but a bit light when first used, but has warmed up quite well after burning in a several hours on my integrated amp. Highs and mids are very clear and sharp. These phones are easily driven by very low powered units (bought this for a 1-AAA powered MP3 player) and reach high volume levels without distortion. Given more power (from my amp) it sounds even better, but the short cord makes this impractical for non-portable sources.

Comfort: Very comfortable, as the phones are very light weight and the band is highly compliant. Stays on my head, even though I wear glasses and the phones have to compete for space on my ears. The open air design helps keep the ears cool.

Value: Outstanding. Worth several times what it is going for on Amazon.

Other issues: Other reviews have commented about the high level of sound leakage, which may bother others. In truth, you have to really play them LOUD for that to happen. At volumes I am comfortable with, external sound does not travel more than a few feet. I do agree that you will not want to use in on airlines, as your seat-mates will hear your music, but you will want closed-ear or noise-reduction phones for that anyway. I also own the PMX-250 for travel, does a great job.

You will also need to burn-in the phones before assessing if the sound suits you. Don't judge based on first impressions.

The cord is indeed about 3 feet, but this seems to be the perfect length for its intended purposes. It suits MP3 players mounted on your arm, belt, or front shirt pocket without undue excess. An extension, if you really need one, is only a few bucks too.

You will not be unhappy with these phones, unless you only like bass or it does not sit well on your head. Personal tastes and shapes. Nothing this light and portable can handle much higher levels of bass anyway.
on December 23, 2003
Alright, after a little bit of hassle I finally got these headphones. I really prefer the behind-the-neck headphones for portability, as when riding bikes or doing out having clunky, huge headphones isn't always the most convenient. So, the first thing I noticed when I took these out of their packaging was the amazingly short cord - its tiny! My Sony MDR-G72LPs and MDR-G82s cords were almost twice the length it seemed (realistically not that long, but still, much longer than these headphones - almost too long...). So, looks like I will need to buy a 3ft headphone cord extender... The second thing I noticed is that the plug isn't gold plated - both of the Sonys were, although the MDR-G72LPs was already almost completely worn off. Anyways, I plugged these things in and listened - I was amazed how loud they could go without distortion. I pushed these to my personal maximum and they still weren't distorting... the MDR-G72LPs would distort at these volumes, and the MDR-G82s impedence is a bit higher I believe so my portable players never pushed it to the max, but still, through my computer these things were excellent. With a direct comparison to the MDR-G72LPs (for about the same price), the bass wasn't as heavy but if you utilize a functional bass-boost, these headphones can handle it. The MDR-G72s were a bit heavy in the bass in comparison, but the highs were reproduced horribly compared the the PMX60s, and the bass they did have would easily distort with an increase in volume. Also, about the weight and comfort - these beat out both of the Sonys, by far! The MDR-G72LPs would hurt my ears after about an hour, and the MDR-G82s after shorter (although I would endure the pain as I needed a closed ear design at the time) - these things I have been wearing for an hour now and I can hardly tell they're on, with absolutely no pain! ;) Also, I dont know what this "bass tube" thing is about, as these things seem to have weaker bass by default than the other headphones, but they will handle bass if you feed it to them. All in all, these things are very much worth their cost, and I can't help but recommend these to those looking for street-style headphones that perform well. Now all we need are some street style closed ear Sennheisers... :)
on August 14, 2003
Beat to dirt Sony MDR-G52 I used before in all respects but price: crisp, crystal-clear sound; light weight and light, gentle grip on ears; short and soft cord. Also these are LOUD! Technically speaking they are 3 to 4 times louder than Sony, practically - they take all the range of my Philips EXP431 w/o distorting the sound, while Sony's cannot be used at over 6 or 7 out of 10. And did I mention their sound quality? Yes, but it sure is worth mentioning twice and more :-)
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
VINE VOICEon March 22, 2006
I've used both this pair and the more expensive PMX 100's and each set has their own strengths and weaknesses.

This set is by far the more comfrotable of the two. This set is lighter (though not as durable as the PMX100's), has a lower profile which allows you to rest your head back on an airplane, and are more muted in terms of their design...more classy in a sense.

However, the PMX100 most definitely takes the prize in terms of sound quality with a broader range and deeper bass. Though, it should be noted that this set has a higher decibel output...not always the most important factor.

With all of this in mind, the PMX60 is in my opinion the perfect set of everyday use headphones. Better sounding than the packaged ipod headphones, cheap enough to the point where you won't be angry if you lose em, ridiculously light and comfortable (if you like behind the neck sets), and attractive to boot.
on December 2, 2005
This is the best pair of lightweight headphones I have ever had. The sound is super clean and crisp. They aren't as good as my Sennheiser studio headphones -- which are fantastic -- but they blow away every other pair of lightweight phones I have had. I also like these more than ear buds. I have the Sony ML something-or-others which put out decent sound and are good in the subway where you don't want to irritate people. The Sennheisers are open air so other people can hear what you're listening to if you are in a closed space and the volume is a little high. But for me, the ear buds are a little annoying because the sound isn't as good and it makes my eardrums feel like they're going to pop. As long as you're not in crammed spaces like subways or buses, go with the Sennheisers and enjoy the better sound.
on October 23, 2003
I just my pair and they work awesome. My favorite part is they go loud all the way on my iPod without distorting. Perfect for playing music to my friends, on loud they almost work like small portable speakers because they are such high quality and sound.
I run with them and they stay put and are uber comfortable. But the best part is definately the audio quality
They are a little weird the way you fit on your head but its pretty easy to work around that and appreciate how good these headphones are!

Your Recently Viewed Items and Featured Recommendations