Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Melvins Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro

on February 23, 2004
A miserable experience. I bought this through Amazon when I contracted to have my hardwood floors refinished. The contractor took way too long, so I didn't try to use it until yesterday. Only the dry vacuum function worked, and not very well. I tried to call Hoover. They don't have an 800 customer service number, so I had to pay for a looonnnnnggggg long distance call. Got a busy signal the first ten times, then was put in line ("Your call is important to us") for 47 minutes, a total of one hour 13 minutes before I got a human being. She first tried to tell me that she didn't know anything about their products and that I should take it to my local appliance repair shop. I insisted and she finally suggested that I unscrew the handle and screw it on again. I did. Nothing, though I noticed that the internal "controls" are a couple of flimsey plastic sticks, the very essence of nineteenth century technology, but with cheaper materials. Ever heard of a switch?
I then drove across the county to my Hoover dealer. He told me that there were two screws missing, which should have been installed at the factory, and replaced them. He also pointed out that the "scrub" function is a misnomer -- the thing doesn't scrub; its brushes aren't designed to move at all. He assured me that the tiny dribble of cleaning solution he managed to get out of it was all it needed.
I took my expensive toy home and tried it. The advertised three-way action is actually about a half dozen separate actions, only two of them (vacuuming and dribbling) done by the machine. You have to do the rest. First you have to dry vacuum the floor. Then you switch over to wet/scrub and three tiny streaks of fluid appear. Then you go back over it to spread the fluid around and, supposedly, to pick up the fluid and dirt. After a few minutes the floor dries and you see dirty streaks everywhere. Repeat process. Same thing. Repeat, repeat, repeat. Then go get a mop and do it properly.
As far as I can tell, the purpose of this appliance is to moisten dust, move it around a little and leave it on the floor as streaks. The machine has no effect whatever on dried spills, footprints, scuff marks, dirt or any of the other things that routinely find their way onto a floor. And the tanks are so small that you can only do about half a room before you have to empty and refill.
I have bought a lot of appliances since I started restoring my house. Some have been great (Bosch dishwasher, Mac woodchipper, Mikita powertools), most good (Amana gas range, ShopVac), but this Hoover is the biggest piece of crap, backed by the worst customer service, that I have enountered outside the former Soviet Union. I gave it one star only because you are not given the option of none. And now Amazon won't take it back because 30 days passed before I could use it.
66 comments|161 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 3, 2004
We ordered the FloorMate 2800 model from the Home Shopping Network last week by mistake (paid $165, including shipping). We hadn't done enough prior research to realize there were THREE different FloorMate models, and this was the bottom-of-the-line model with immobile brushes.
It went together easily; probably 10 minutes and we were ready to go. Somehow we managed to get it out of the box and assembled without noticing the brush configuration (there was no need to turn it over during assembly).
I vacuumed and cleaned the white linoleum in our 500 sf kitchen in about an hour, using about 1.5 tanks of water + 3 oz of solution. It did a great job of picking up dog hair, pepper, sugar, etc, and did an OK job of cleaning the floor (still kind of dirty in the pits of the linoleum. I was disappointed that it took so long, but amazed at how filthy the water was, when we had just mopped a couple of days before.
While cleaning it out I discovered it didn't have the spinning brushes. After some quick research, we found that both the 3000 and 3010 models have the spinning brushes. The 3010 model (FloorMate Plus) has only been out since Sept 2003, costs only about $35 more than we paid, and also has a longer cord and extra set of brushes. It didn't take long to decide to send back the 2080 and get the 3010.
We weren't completely unhappy with the results of the 2080, but figured for $30 more, the 3010 would do even better.
0Comment|124 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 23, 2004
I am by no means a neat freak. When I bought the Floor Mate, I just wanted something that will sweep and mop with very little effort from me. The Floor Mate gets the job done, but I think it's over priced. Vacuuming the floor was easy, though I had problems getting the corners. Washing the floor was a little harder because the unit sits so close to the floor. My kitchen is tile, so it was kind of a bumpy ride. At some points, I had to tilt the vacuum up a little so that it could suck up some food.

But this vacuum passed the ultimate test: my 2 year old's eating area. It sucked up the dry cereal and crackers very nicely. As far as washing, I didn't have any juice spills or anything, so I couldn't test it on dry spills, but it did clean up a spot of coffee on the floor (I had to go over it a couple of times). It won't, however, get food that is crusted and stuck on your tile.

While I was cleaning the floor I was kind of disappointed with the Floor Mate. But I quickly became a satisfied customer when I emptied out the dirty water. It was filthy! And I had just swept and mopped 4 days ago! So it definately does the job.
on March 9, 2005
I was very disappointed when I received my FloorMate from Amazon.com. The unit works well enough, I guess, but does NOT have spinning brushes (or at least mine didn't come with them)that the unit is advertised as coming with (looking at the viewable manual provided on the product page). It does not clean very well with just the one little -- and I do mean little -- stationary brush included. I wish I hadn't bought it!
on May 13, 2005
I was pleased with the way the Hoover cleaned my floors, except that I had to empty the containers too many times. After using it for 3 or 4 weeks, I realized that it is scratching and scuffing the floors and they look terrible. I hope I can return it because I can no longer use it. Terry Sita
on January 5, 2004
i too didn't realize there were diff.models [i researched it on the web] but saw it at brandsmart and thought i was getting a good buy. its not the magic bullet for tile but saves the mopping.who knew there were supposed to be spinning brushes?a little truth in advertising? problem is finding lysol concentrate for machine.is there somehing else to use?
on March 10, 2006
I really like this but I wish I'd spent a little more & opted for the rotating brushes & gotten the one w/attachments to get into tight spaces. This doesn't fit around my toilet bowls. Now I've got to get down on my hands & knees to scrub around them. I bought the machine to avoid this but the price was great & it does a really nice job on the tiles & laminate flooring.
on January 30, 2006
Overall, the unit is very good. However, the newer model has spinning brushes which makes cleaning a breeze. This one takes a little elbow grease but definitely does the job.
on December 28, 2006
I have a very large expanse of linoleum flooring in the lower level of my home and decided to buy this machine to replace my cumbersome mop and bucket.. While I do indeed like using this product more than a mop and bucket i don't think thats saying much as everyone knows the old M&B method bites..

Admittedly, it does it's job - picking up debris on dry function and the water solution on wet.. However, It usually took me 4-5 passes to suck up all the water this thing squirts out as it's "squeegie" function is rather lacking.. I don't think the rubber was positioned low enough to the ground..

In anycase, it was a good deal of money I spent on the thing but I find myself wanting the top end model because I too was mislead by the "scrub" part of the marketing on this thing.. it has stationary brushes and I want ones that MOVE as this can have a tendency to leave those nooks and crannies in the linoleum filled with dirt if you don't pass it over a couple times.. I was still always amazed at all the dirty water left over after using this and the clean smell and feel of my floors afterward (granted you didn't take a closer look and still find dirt in the grout)..

My suggestion, go for the top end model.. it should do a better job AND last longer.. the parts in this thing (ie; filter) seem to wear after awhile..
on July 9, 2006
The Hoover Floormate was great the first two times we used it. Along with the Old English it did a great job cleaning and picking up the solution. After using it twice, it had difficulty dispensing solution from the Reservoir. This was remedied by having to apply downward pressure constantly. It still got the job done. Not too long after that it wouldn't vacuum the solution back into the unit. I got a great clean for the price divided by four uses. You do the math. I'll stick to the "cheap" clorox thing we pulled out of the closet after I put the Floor ex-Mate into the trash. Very disappointed