Olympus 118760 Trooper 10x50 DPS I Binocular (Black)
Price:$54.95 + Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on November 26, 2008
Verified Purchase
For several years I owned a pair of Bushnell binoculars that I just didn't get along with. Nothing I did improved focus (yes, I followed the directions) and for some odd reason I seemed to suffer from double vision when looking through them (again, configuration was correct). So I finally gave up and invested in these Olympus Trooper 10x50 binoculars. All it took was a couple of seconds to make them perfect for me. The optics are clear and bright, focus is a piece of cake to obtain, the magnification and range are great and they fit very comfortably and securely in my hand. The carrying case is padded and well made. My one criticism (maybe) would be the strap, which although strong is thin and not so comfortable to sling over the neck or shoulder for longer periods of time. But I don't think the quality of these binoculars can be beat for their very reasonable price.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on December 19, 2012
Verified Purchase
Let's face it. You can pretty much spend as little or as much on binoculars as you want. Take these two for example: the Tasco Essentials 8x21 Binocular (Black) or the Carl Zeiss Optical Inc Victory RF Binoculars (10x45 T RF).

Sticker shock, huh?

That's ok, though. The question is not about budgeting for a pair of binoculars, since there's a pair for EVERY budget. The downside of that is that there are just so many to choose from.

I wanted to upgrade from a pair of very old 7x32 Tasco binos to a pair of 10x50 max. I figured anything over 10x would require a tripod. I don't have a lot of money to throw around, so I settled on these.

They serve their function well, but they don't feel anywhere near as rugged (as described) as any other pair of binoculars I've ever handled. I wouldn't feel comfortable taking them on anything more strenuous than say, a day hike.

I found that with other binoculars, I could focus using the center wheel, then adjust the right eye piece to match the clarity and I would never have to mess with the right eye adjustment again. With this pair, I'm finding that I have to refocus both with every third or fourth use.

One of my major complaints about these binoculars is the fact that the lens covers are not attached. If I want to get a quick look at something, I don't want to have to fumble around finding somewhere to put the lens covers. Sure, I could modify them, but it bugs me a little that I have to.

The case is horrible, in my opinion. It is soft sided vinyl with a Velcro closure. This will provide scratch protection but NOT impact protection. As for the closure, if you're bird watching or scouting game, you should probably already have them out because once you rip the Velcro open... bye, bye birdy, so to speak.

The other thing about the case is the strap. At full extension, when I wear it cross shoulder style, (think Sam Browne belt) it's right up under my arm. Very uncomfortable.

As long as we're on the subject of straps, this one has a soft(ish) nylon strap, adjustable, about 11mm in width. The edges are pliable and sit very comfortably around your neck. The strap also has a much more reasonable length adjustment. There is such a stark contrast in binocular/case construction material that it just screams "outsource".

Far from being top of the line binoculars, they still deliver a crisp, clear, undistorted view from edge to edge, even in very low light.

If you can spend more for a pair of binoculars, then by all means do so. However, if you're on a budget like me, I think you'll find these are a very good value at this price level.

I had to knock a star off because of the unattached lens covers and the dismal case.

As the title indicates, if you are willing to accept the shortcomings I mentioned, then I would definitely recommend these. I don't plan on upgrading anytime soon. Modifying, yes. Upgrading, no.
on December 2, 2008
Verified Purchase
I read the other reviews and they are right. For the price, these are great and they do not weigh to much. I am small and that was a concern of mine. I did not want to have the binoculars on a tripod all the time & these work pefect to star gaze or nature watch.
on June 8, 2007
Verified Purchase
These binoculars are amazing. The optics are flawless, and extremely clear. I highly recommend these binoculars. I mainly use them for astronomy. They allow you to see the rings of Saturn. Awesome buy.
on August 7, 2009
Verified Purchase
I was looking for a binolular for my Summer crusie to Alaska. Many reviews said that Olympus Trooper 10x50 DPS is a very good binocular. It gives you very clear and stable image; easy to control and adjust; and relatively cheaper. So I bought it. I am very happy to have this binocular. As the reviews said, I can easily get the clear picture, no double image with colorful edge. This is a really good binocular.
on September 3, 2014
Verified Purchase
I could see one Million Stars.

I could see my neighbors.

I could see the beach.

I could see ants crawling around in the grass.
VINE VOICEon March 29, 2009
Verified Purchase
These are very good binoculars when all factors are taken into account. They are not perfect, but the optics are great. I seen no obvious spherical, nor chromatic aberration so obvious in cheap binoculars. Brightness is great in low-light conditions, which is a plus in terrestrial viewing. The only area of concern that I have found is flare when looking at something such as a star or planet, and the object is proximate to a bright source of light. That is not likely to present a problem in most cases even if it is a minor irritation. All in all I think that value for dollar, these are solid, decent binoculars. They will have to do until I have money for Zeiss binoculars, and they will do well.
on June 20, 2012
Verified Purchase
I have had these binoculars for just three days and am very, very impressed with them. I have never owned binoculars before but wanted to start astronomy in a very amateur way. These were highly recommended and reviewed. Sadly, the great british summer has not been favourable for astronomy in the last three days so I can not comment on the ability regarding stargazing but for normal terrestrial use there are fantastic. I didn't really understand what people meant when the said in their reviews that these bins made things look 3D but now I understand, they are so good the view almost looks better than normal eye sight, hard to understand until you try them!

Given there high magnification and my desire to use them for astronomy I was conscious that even the slightest movement would ruin any space viewing so decided to buy the following product to attach them to my regular DSLR digital camera tripod.

It is the best £10 I have ever spent.

The Olympus website and google search does not give much information on how to attach these binoculars to a tripod but it is possible and incredibly easy with this attachment.

having done some reading on optics and there inherent problems I am aware that there bins have a VERY, VERY, slight discolouration on the very bottom on the image, nothing to worry about but it is there in a tiny (I mean minuscule way). As I am an amateur this does not bother me but nice to know what has caused it. From my limited reading it is something to do with the manufacture of the glass. It seriously affects less that 1% on the image and can only been seen if you are looking for it, as I was! With such a big field of view this is really not a problem, I only mentioned it as some serious buyers may be wondering if it exists. However, to be fair to Olympus, I have only tried the one pair, this problem/issue may vary my product.

I will monitor the review page so if you have any problems just ask and I will answer ASAP.

AS I intened to use these mainly on a tripod I wash;t put off buy the slightly heavy weight. i am sure there are heavier models out there but this was not my number one priority but be aware, good glass weighs more hence these are heavy compare to less strong bins. Weight is clearly the price you pay for quality and I am very impressed.

Overall, highly recommended and very happy with my purchase (especially as I bought them from Amazon.com (USA) and my dad bought them over for me saving me 30%!)

These bins come with a neck strap, four lenses covers and a relatively attractive plane black case with carry strap.

TOP TIP - Keep lens covers on when not in use, especially if left on a tripod like mine, I have read/heard horror stories of the sun shining through and starting fires.

Happy viewing!
on May 12, 2009
I purchased the Olympus Trooper 10X50 binoculars in preparation for a vacation to Alaska. I have not been disappointed with the binoculars based on the performance that they have exhibited. Great quality & functionality for the price.
on June 28, 2013
Verified Purchase
I purchase these to set out on my deck and watch the birds at the bird feeder. I can see much more details on my feather friends. I can even use it with my glass on.

Your Recently Viewed Items and Featured Recommendations