Automotive Holiday Deals Books Gift Guide Books Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Prime Music Sweepstakes egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Grocery Gifts for Her Amazon Gift Card Offer cm15 cm15 cm15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $30 Off Fire HD 6 Kindle Cyber Monday Deals Indie for the Holidays in Prime Music Shop Now HTL

Package Quantity: 1Style Name: SilverChange

on August 31, 2007
After many years, our faithful Panasonic electric pencil sharpener's motor finally gave out. Needing a new sharpener for the upcoming school year, I hurriedly picked up this Boston "Xacto" Vacuum Mount POC. When I opened the box, I was appalled at the poor quality of... everything. I tried to follow the included directions to the letter, but it didn't work out for me. Here are some observations regarding my fruitless attempt to sharpen one ordinary #2 pencil with the Boston Vacuum Mount Pencil Sharpener:
1) Cheap metal (or is it metallic plastic?) housing falls apart in your hands.
2) Vacuum mount adheres to glass & smooth wood surfaces momentarily, but not strong enough or long enough.
3) Dull, inefficient blades grab and halt progress countless times.
4) Then it's re-connect the housing (did I mention that it falls apart?), re-attach vacuum mount, re-insert pencil, and try again. Repeat. Repeat. Repeat.

In the end, I asked my 4th grader to hold the unit firmly on the desk while I continued the "sharpening" process, thereby unwittingly placing him in harm's way-- the housing fell apart in his hands and he nearly got cut. Well, probably not cut since the blades aren't sharp enough to cut anything, but at the very least pinched severely.... Anyway, that's not the real end-- I returned this shoddy, useless rattletrap practical joke and ordered a new Panasonic electric pencil sharpener.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 12, 2006
OK, where should I begin, the unit is made of cheap metal, the vacuum mount is just horrible, I tried it on wood, and even glass, and it still comes off quite easily, there is no mechanism to hold the pencil for you, so you need to work with both hands, and imagine when the vacuum mount goes bad, you guessed it, you need a third hand! I tried it on a 5B pencil, which I agree is somewhat soft, but to have two thirds of the pencil chewed to dust by this monster is just unforgivable. Here's why: there is no mechanism to stop the unit from shaving your pencil away, so when you have a soft pencil, and you want to take it off, it's still in the grip of the unit, with a soft lead, it will break and you need to get some more chewed away. For $30 you can buy yourself a house full of pencils and sharpeners. There is an X-acto brand of this on Amazon too, both are from the same manufacturer.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 19, 2008
Bought one of these at the store quickly, as we were looking for a manual one - assuming incorrectly it would last longer than an electric. Worked great for less than one day, though the vacuum mount never worked properly. Can no longer sharpen anything with this, as it won't grab the pencil - regardless of what size I try. Horribly designed, ultra cheap, and not worth it.
on May 28, 2008
I bought this on sale for 1/2 price at Office Depot, and it's going back tomorrow. I didn't have a problem with the vacuum mount (yet), but it only seems to want to sharpen one side of the pencil, leaving the other half still covered in wood. How does one write with that? I kept sharpening, turning the pencil around to get all surfaces, but I ended up with an incredibly sharp skewer that doesn't write. Is this the only manual left on the market!? What a shame... I don't need one more battery-operated contraption in my house, but I don't think there's any alternative.
on July 5, 2011
After reading the variety of reviews here, we opted for this X-Acto product mainly because there aren't that many options out there. First, it is completely adequate as a pencil sharpener. Second, the suction base holds on tight. Third, the blades or whatever lines the pencil up doesn't quite sharpen the pencil perfectly even all around. This is not a big problem, though perfectionists will find it frustrating. I recommend this product if you need a portable sharpener.
on January 7, 2014
If you have pencils larger in diameter than standard pencils, you don't have a lot of options for a sharpener. Ever since I started using TriConderoga soft-touch 3-sided pencils about 7 years ago, I haven't been able to use a regular electric sharpener. I know have three X-Acto sharpeners, this model or the X-Acto Ranger 55 Table/Wall-Mount sharpener. Both work very well.

I grant you that the suction on this model doesn't last very long and it does needs a pretty smooth surface to attach well, but it's quite workable. It even works just fine when I go on a mission and sharpen all of my children's pencils (well over 100). And the body disconnecting when it shouldn't is new-user error. You get the hang of how to handle it without it coming apart ever. As for dull blades...I really don't get it. The blades on these are sharp and have stayed that for years. I have a table mount at work that has been used by me and several of my colleagues for over 5 years and it works great.

One tip: If you find that the sharpener seems to no longer be working, there is probably a broken tip stuck at the very back of the mechanism. Stick the end of an elongated paper clip or an awl down in there and push gently to bust up anything stuck there. Tap the remnants out and it should work just fine.
on October 18, 2009
I bought this for the name, thinking it would be superior. The pencil alignment ring is flimsy and aligns poorly, so the pencils often sharpen off-center. Don't bother buying this one.
on August 11, 2014
Just got it. I had a vacuum mounted sharpener as a kid that lasted years upon years. Since becoming an adult and having my own kids I've learned that electric pencil sharpeners do not compare. I've gone through several in a few years.

This product seems sturdy, holds to the surface and does a good job of sharpening. So far, I love it.

I've now had this sharpener for over 1/2 year and it is still just and going strong. Great purchase!
on August 17, 2014
Good old fashioned pencil sharpener. Don't try to leave it in the locked position. Each person who uses it should release the suction mount after using so that it retains its function-ability. I teach adults ESL and train each class how to use it. They last a long, long time when used properly.
on February 24, 2014
OK, maybe it's not REALLY like the good old days, the metal is a little thinner, it's a little lighter, etc.. But in the big picture, this is WAAAAAY better than the cheap plastic pieces of junk that people generally have. A great pencil sharpener.