Automotive Deals Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Ruby jewelry Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

on October 27, 2008
Olympus Outback 10x21 RC1 Binoculars Great binocs, small, light, easy to carry, and decent optics for a tiny price. Comes with a functional soft, artificial leather carry case with velcro flap, neck strap slot, belt loop slots on rear, and a nylon neck strap affixed to the binocs. Re: the occasional negative review, please research how binoculars work before you buy. The 10 in 10 x 21 is the maximum magnification (too much makes it hard to focus because the human hand shakes); the 21 is the diameter of the objective lens (bigger collects more light). The 10 x 21 is a great compromise between performance and portability - makes these binoculars good for concerts, casual use, sightseeing. Not for serious birdwatchers or salt water sailors, who want more performance and therefore will tolerate more weight and size. Also, before writing a review, please learn how to focus your binocs, including how to fine tune the focus with the adjustable eyepiece: (First, pick out a moderately distant object. Second, viewing with your left eye, adjust the master focus [center knob] with right eyepiece covered and blocked off. Third, viewing with your right eye, fine focus [twist the slim right eyepiece ring] the right eyepiece with the left eyepiece covered and blocked off. Now your binocs are 'set' for your particular eyes and you can easily change focus as you view different objects just by using the master focus knob. The next person, with different eyes, will likely need to readjust the binocs per above instructions.) Also the rubber eyecups can be adjusted in and out as well. This helps some people, especially those with glasses.
44 comments| 65 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 1, 2008
I love these little binoculars. I specifically bought these to use on my daily runs. I run in an area that is great for birding and would often see ones off in the distance that I couldn't identify. I can run with these really easily as they fold up to neatly hold in one hand. Now I can check out any new or migrating species whenever I want. They are also strong enough to get a good look at quite a distance away. They are really easy to use and very light weight, perfect for on the run outside or to slip in a purse for your next concert.
on June 11, 2007
Nice entry level binoculars...perfect for casual wildlife watching and outdoor concerts...small and easy to tuck away.
on June 12, 2007
I bought this set of binoculars for my wife, who is a surfer. It is easy to use and has enough power to let us see who's in the water. The image is bright and clear, with a wide field of view. It's compact and light. The price was very reasonable too. I highly recommend it.
on August 31, 2007
I bought these binoculars based on the previous reviews and I'm glad I did. I will be using them primarily to hunt elk and deer in northern New Mexico. I wear glasses and these are very easy to use with my glasses and the size is great especially when out on the trail.
on July 20, 2007
After researching binoculars, I chose this one. Easy to use and very clear and sharp images. The size is small and fits in the palms of your hands. Simply adjust focus on left eye and then do the right eye. Good close up on the moon.
on May 13, 2007
It's so light that you hardly notice it hanging on your neck. At first, I had a hard time getting focused, but one I read the instructions, the two-step focus process worked like a charm. Excellent clarity. I wish I could have a wider view, but I know these are not designed for that.
on December 9, 2007
I bought this as a gift because it had been rated highly by Consumer Reports. I was terribly disappointed. They look, feel, and perform like a child's toy. The eyepieces are tiny, so it's hard to even get them to line up with your eyes; the field of view is miniscule, the image is muddy and incredibly dim. We returned them and purchased a pair of Nikan Action 8x40 for a similar price, and were delighted.

If you are considering these because of price, look at the Nikon Action 8x40 -- crisp and bright, and similarly priced. If you must have something pocket-sized, consider the Nikon Travelite V series. The image is nowhere near the Nikon Action 8x40 mentioned above, but it's still superior to this one. Also the eyepieces are much wider. Nevertheless for birding etc, I would hesitate to reccomend any of the pocket binoculars. You're much betetr off with a full-size, esp. a (relatively) light and cheap one such as the Nikon Action 8x40.
on January 24, 2008
The Outback is a good little binocular. In fact, it is quite small, the picture on amazon is a little misleading, its almost pocket-able. Just the right size for a concert or similar venture. Optics are good, the build quality seems good, so I'm pleased with the purchase at this price point.
on December 18, 2007
I bought these binoculars as a gift for my Dad, who is into birding. He says they are great, easy to use, and a huge step up from his old pair. As the gift giver, I like the value you get for the price. Great product overall.