Truck Month Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Bob Dylan Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Father's Day Gifts The Baby Store Shop now Amazon Cash Back Offer DrThorne DrThorne DrThorne  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $149.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Shop Now STEM

on September 29, 2007
I needed a set of very portable speakers that would fit into my laptop bag that would also improve the sound over the built-in speakers. I am very happy with these speakers.

The Pro's: 1) These speakers provide much more solid and direct sound than my built-in laptop speakers. 2) They perform surprising well in passive mode, but I believe they sound slightly better when powered by batteries. 3) Very portable, no extra adapter to lug around, speakers cannot fall over if sitting on an unstable surface. Will sit on most laptop computers out of the way above the keyboard if desk space is really limited or unavailable. However, music sounds better if the speaker is sitting on the desk next to the computer. 4) Seem durable and well built to last. Nothing sticking out to break off. Power switch not likely to get bumped and turned on while riding in your pack.

The Con's: 1) No built in volume control. You must use your computers mixer/volume control. 2) Audio is a little compressed sounding. This is ok for movies because you can hear the dialog better. But for music, if you have a graphic equalizer on your music player you can make them sound a LOT better than just feeding them flat audio. 3) No auto power off -- If you don't switch off the power the batteries will run down when not in use.

Just to summarize. Don't think that your're going to listen to music through these while your raking leaves in the back yard. These are small speakers! If your unhappy with the sound quality and level from your laptop speakers and you want a boost without the typical hassels of exernal speakers then you will be happy with these.
on January 25, 2006
considering the size of these speakers, they put out good sound. the speakers i was using before these had to be plugged into an AC outlet, no option of batteries.

i use music for dance practices after school, and since i can't carry heavy equiptment with me, i just carry these and my ipod. i like that they punch out loud sound, unlike some other speakers i've seen. my friend has a portable speaker system that is the same size as mine, but hers isn't loud enough.

the speakers are about the same weight as my cell phone. i also love that it has the option of running on either batteries or passive mode (gets its power from the music player it's plugged into). i don't ever have to worry about finding an AC outlet.

these are a great choice for portable speakers!
on June 4, 2004
these speakers are not very good. first of all, they are not magnetically sheilded cuz i put them close to my monitor and it turned green. the cord is very short and there is no bass. the ad says it can handle mega bass, but it doesn't. i am very disappointed with this product from sony. i am a sony guy and this is one that they should of never put out. i returned it the very next day.
on December 11, 2012
(1) I initially got this for my phone. I have Slacker Radio on my phone so when I'm hangng with friends we can all enjoy the tunes, whether I'm at the laundrymat or playing bocce ball on a park lawn, I have streaming music, mp3 or FM radio. It's nice on the phone, but...

(2) but then I plugged it into my sony mp3 player and my droid (nexus 7) tablet and man it exploded with great sound!

(3) At first I didn't understand the "passive sound" others spoke about but I do now: it's when you have the speaker's ower off and the power is derived from the device itself. Nice... really really nice!! Not too loud, but ld enough. If you need more volume, just slide the power button to ON and the sound fills a 17' x 15' room beautifully!

(4) The volume depends on your device's internal amp as well. This sounds great using my sony mp3 player and tablet because they have such powerful amps. GREAT to take along anywhere you want ambient music.
on April 17, 2013
You really can't expect good sound from tiny speakers placed close together, but if you just need an indicator that your casette player is working this is typically elegant SONY design, and satisfying from that standpoint.
on July 16, 2010
I've had one of these for going on three or four years now, and they haven't failed me yet. Got them on the bargain rack at Walmart for $10, so I wasn't expecting much from them, but they've lasted longer then any of the other portable speaker system's I've tried. These are slim and light, so easy to pack if your going to bring them anywhere with you, and they have a standard 3.5 mm jack, so you can plug them into anything that a pair of headphones would.

One of the things I love, which I've found pretty difficult to find on portable speakers, is the passive mode. Almost all the other portable speakers I buy or fix up have to use batteries of some kind in order to work. With the passive mode, it won't be too loud, but you'll still have speakers that work. And I find that the speakers actually have a pretty good volume without batteries, although obviously they are much louder when in "active mode", and running on batteries.

If you want something to travel with that won't take up much room, will be sturdy enough to handle being bumped dropped and hit, and still never have to worry if you have extra batteries, then go with these speakers.
on September 28, 2010
Why do people buy this and expect bookshelf speaker sound? Why do you think they sell larger speakers to begin with? Anyway, this is a nice little speaker system for what it is. I use it for listening to Podcasts. The sound on my iPad often isn't loud enough to hear over doing the dishes, etc. and sometimes I want to listen to my Nano without earphones. This fits the bill perfectly. The high frequencies are a bit rolled off, but nothing that the EQ in your iPod/ player won't cure. I wouldn't really recommend this for music unless it's just low background stuff. I like the form factor, hideaway cable and battery requirements. A lot of these kinds of speakers require 3 'AA' or 'AAA's. Why 3? Makes using rechargeables difficult as many chargers charge in 'pairs' of batteries. This takes 2 'AAA's.
on June 4, 2010
It's a good little extension for an iPod or a week laptop sound system. But at high volume it does what any cheep little speaker system does and distorts everything.

Pro's: It's small and it's controlled by the volume on your devise....

Con's: It's small and it's controlled by the volume on your devise....think about it.
on September 27, 2007
These speakers sound about as good as my 5 year old laptop speakers. I bought them for watching movies on my laptop thinking they would enhance the experience. I actually prefer watching my movies without them because my own laptop sounds a little crisper. Very disappointing.
on January 3, 2013
I have several of these and well they are not for concert hall drive or performance we use them a lot esp the wife - she uses with her SONY Laptop or Droid to play .mp3 and video clips she purchases.

See 1 answered question