Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Men's Leather Watches Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums Explore Home Audio All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Valentine's Day Cards Bring a little greenery into your home Amazon Gift Card Offer girls2 girls2 girls2  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Shop Now SnS

Price:$49.00+ Free shipping

on January 14, 2007
The Rolls VP29 hooked up easily and works great. The fact that it has RCA as well as headphone jack outputs is a great feature, and RIAA curve adjustment for optimal sound quality coming from your record player. I also liked that it has a screw for my record player to be grounded to - a feature that not all preamps I've looked at had.
All together a failry good looking (in a techie way), compact design that most importantly sounds great.
*update* hooked up the VP29 directly to my line-in jack on my laptop (MacBook Pro) and got a clean, full digital copy of my vinyl - beautiful. Great buy so far.
22 comments18 of 20 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 16, 2013
I don't know crap about these things, but i'll tell you what: My turntable works now and i'm happy. Plus it has a line for the ground wire thing. So that's pretty good.
on November 9, 2006
For the money, this product far exceeded my expectations. Providing two types of outputs and the amplification needed to convert those old albums to a output level that I could accurately recorded them with my computer's sound card. Converted 2 dozen albums now and people tell me they like the sound better then the original CD pressings.
0Comment18 of 22 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 19, 2009
I purchased this as an early xmas gift for my Grandmother who just doesn't understand how to use the full rack Denon Stereo my Grandfather purchased. A few years after his death she got a Bose Wave radio/CD player and likes it and actually uses it, but misses the vinyl in her collection. I chose the Rolls because it was small, had no dials or buttons to confuse her and I wasn't willing to pay too much for a better sounding preamp when she doesn't have the best hearing anymore (she's 84 now). It works well to connect her Denon turntable to the Bose and she seems happy with the simplicity. I personally found it to be a tad noisy and missing the clarity and depth of soundstage of my Cambridge Audio Azur 540p (phono preamp)linking my 1976 hotrodded Thorens TD 166 to my Cambridge Audio Azur 640a (amplifier)through NSM 5se's and Energy 15" sub. The Rolls is a nice solid unit that works well for the average user who occasionally pulls out a record now and then, and certainly superior to those "retro" looking oak radio/turntable combo's aimed at the nostalgic but tragically misinformed consumer, but I would not use this to pair up a serious turntable like a Thorens, Dual, Raga Pro-ject etc. to a serious receiver (and no, Sony doesn't count here.) This is for the average Joe, which is fine, because there are lots of Joe's and Joanna's out there that need to groove to their vinyl now and then, but this is not for the discerning listener and audiophile. I would give it one star more if all readers here understood beforehand that this is not a serious hi-fi unit, but I'm giving it three stars because it is in fact OK for the average Joe. If you're not too picky and just need to play some records now an then, go for it. But if you aspire to serious hi-fi and want a starter unit, I would save up another $50 bucks and go for the Cambridge Audio Azur 540p ore even $110 more for the 640p. Also, make note this Rolls is ONLY for Moving Magnet cartridges or perhaps some really high output Moving Coil cartridges like a Denon DL 160 (but then again if you're looking at a Denon DL160, you certainly want to be spending at least $150 on a preamp, period!) Hope that helps you in your decision.
44 comments52 of 70 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 17, 2013
I needed a simple preamp for my turntable; the Rolls VP29 fits the bill. It's small, unobtrusive, and my old turntable sounds amazing.
on October 5, 2012
Several years ago I purchased a new receiver which rendered my turn table useless. After years of not being able to enjoy my vinyl I purchased the Rolls VP29 Preamp. I have been very happy with the results with only one exception. The preamp does not have an on/off switch and since I dont use the preamp very often I am left with the only option of removing the jack for the power connection. I had to locate the preamp behind the turn table so I could perform this operation each time. Small price to pay to hear my old collection. Overall I am very happy with the product.
on June 4, 2014
I bought this to connect my old direct drive Technics SL-QD22 to a modern Sony AV system. The box works well and the sound is excellent. I connected the ground wire, used quality phono cables and I don't hear any hum or background noise - it's very quiet. Any rumble I get is coming from the turntable itself. The unit is simple and easy to install and works very well. I am pleased with the sound quality. My final amp and speakers are very high quality and this unit complements them well.
on July 13, 2015
This preamp is a pretty inexpensive way to get your receiver enough power to play your records. The vp29 is metal constructed with easy diagrams to follow when holing up your turntable to your stereo. It comes with it's own power supply, and it has a standard headphone jack (1/8" as opposed to the larger 1/4"). The only drawback is there is not a way to increase volume on the rolls vp29 when listening to records with your headphones. However, since most receivers have a headphone outlet on them, this issue really isn't much of one. I have found the vp29 play volume to be sufficient. This preamp is a good entry-level pream that makes my records sound fine.
review image review image
on August 18, 2009
...just plug it in and listen to your vinyl through any receiver without a phono jack. My vinyl collection has never sounded as good as it does now through my new Sony system. I don't have the software to use the preamp to convert vinyl to mp3, but I hope to work on that soon. From what other reviewers are saying that also seems to work well with this little preamp. I wanted to get the Rolls tube preamp instead of this one, but it was a bit pricey. I'm glad that I didn't decide to shell out the extra cash, becasue this little guy does the trick just fine. Reccomended.
on October 21, 2013
Switching from a 40 years old Marantz with phono preamp to a modern audio-video switching amplifier left me without a preamp. But I wanted to feed two systems, a theater and the original living room system. This preamp solved the problem with dual outputs, and the quality of its analog audio is first rate.