on November 28, 2004
I saw this TV at a dispaly along side many other hi-def sets and the picture stood out dramatically above the rest. It has a build in HDTV tuner but my rearch shows that the protocol doesn't match the US transmission of HD signals at present and so there could be a mismatch if you hope to pull signals off the air. I am using it with a digital HDTV set top box so no trouble. Also I understand it has upgradable firmware but this can only be done by a "technician". 123 pounds and most Amoires will hold it--no problem. I has a Sony Wega and it weighed over 250 and that turned out to be a huge problem.

Also... no short picture life like a Plasma and a better and clearer image than I have seen on any Plasma, LCD, or DLP. If you want a huge screen get a DLP. If you need a 30 or so (I think they make a 32") then get a direct view tube TV like this. You can't see any pixels no matter how close you get to the screen, no lines, no abberations... pure clear picture to the point where you will see the individual grains of sand on a beach... each scale on a lizard... and just how really flawed those movie stars really are!! ha. Buy this set.
on October 29, 2004
I purchased this TV a few months ago and I'm finally ready to review it. First off, it's my first HDTV, so I'm definitely not an expert.

The TV looks very clean when viewing. By this I mean there is only one black button at the bottom of the TV when looking from the front. Otherwise, there are some buttons and inputs on either side - but you don't have to stare at buttons during viewing. I like this simple feature a lot. The side inputs include composite (RCA) and s-video. The opposite side has volume, channel, and TV/video toggle controls.

The picture quality is great! The colors are very distinct, and the TV comes with some color presets with customization available. When hooked up with my HDTV service, there's no complaining. Watching sports in HDTV makes my TV worth every penny. I also have an Xbox and PS2 running through this TV, and when attached using the component inputs, it's spectacular.

THE BAD: I was not thrilled at the sound. For basic news and sitcoms it's okay, but for sports and movies it doesn't cut it. I purchased a Samsung "theater in a box" type system and that makes a huge difference. Also, there are only two sets of component inputs. For people with lots of electronics this may not be enough. And I'm not sure the technical details of this, but when I watch non-HDTV shows, the picture quality comes out clearer on my old TV.

Overall, I feel the TV is a very good value. At the price, it was low enough for me to get a HDTV, but the quality rivals some TVs higher in price. HDTV in general is fabulous. And at 30", it fits perfectly in my small basement!
on March 7, 2005
I have the TX-P3075WH, and while I think the picture quality was as good as the best I saw when I made the purchase, (This would include comparably sized units by Sony and Philips.) there are design aspects that create problems for me. These issues won't affect someone using the digital audio outputs, but anyone who is outputting analog audio to a stereo, will want to know about this.

First, there is only one analog audio output; the instruction manual says that it's volume is variable, but it is NOT. You must vary the volume using your stereo's volume control, not the TV volume control like the manual says.

Second, and this is much more important to me: There are 5 RCA jacks used in the recommended hook up for a DVD player, 3 component video and 2 analog audio. If you use this configuration, the sound output to the stereo is killed. You must listen to sound only on the built-in TV speakers.

The sound is obviously getting from the DVD player to the TV, because you can hear it on the TV. If you switch away from the DVD to over the air TV, you CAN get the sound to be played through the stereo.

Apparently, the design philosophy was that even in a situation where sound was transmitted by analog from the DVD player to the TV, if the video inputs used were the digital component ones, then the only way to get an audio signal out of the TV is by digital means. The TV has 3 kinds of digital outputs: DVI, optical, and an RCA style jack.

If I leave the audio cables where they are, but I change the video input from 3 component digital connections to one composite (the jacks are designed to be dual use), the circuitry again outputs the audio to the stereo.

This seems kind of unecessary. I don't get why they kill the analog audio output. The audio obviously gets to the TV, else you wouldn't be able to hear the sound over the TV. Why they can't continue to pass that signal to the monitor out, I don't understand. There must still be quite a few people out there who don't want to bother with surround sound.

You know, I might understand the behavior, if I were outputting digital audio from the DVD player to the TV, but I can't say it was well thought out the way it is. Frankly, even if I did connect digitally between the DVD and the TV, I think I should still be able to output analog audio to my stereo.

Regards,