4 out of 5 stars

on January 24, 2009
Verified Purchase
I bought this model almost two years ago, as a replacement for a much-loved food processor that had been discontinued. Here's why I don't like this one:

1) One of my main criteria when I was shopping for it was that my new food processor should have a large capacity. This one was advertised as having a large capacity. But the stem in the middle of the bowl is very short, so you can't actually put much food into it, especially if the food is liquidy.

2) They advertise having one of the widest mouthed feed tubes. But what they don't tell you is that the "maximum fill line" on the feed tube is very low. So you really can't pack all *that* much food into the feed tube.

3) The ad said it had an attachment called "juicer." I thought that this meant that I could use it to, say, juice carrots, like the way my local food co-op has a juice bar where you can buy things like carrot-beet-celery juice. But no, actually the "juicer" is an attachment where you push down on an orange over a dome and the juice comes down the sides, through holes, and into the body of the food processor. It's basically like an ordinary "Mexican hat shaped" manual juicer except that you use the food processor to turn the middle (I guess that's how it goes -- I've never used this attachment) and then the bowl collects the juice. When I made my final decision between the last two food processors that I was looking at, I chose this one because it said "juicer." So this was a disappointment and made me feel that I'd been snared by phony ad hype. Interesting... I see they are now saying "citrus press" instead of "juicer" for this attachment. I think that is much more honest.

4) It's not good with small quantities. My old food processor could chop a clove of garlic. My KitchenAid just bounces the clove of garlic around, uncut.

5) Food often will "slalom" between the lower and upper blade without ever getting chopped. I've made hummus, let the machine run for a while, served it, and then found whole garlic cloves in the middle of the hummus, totally uncut. My old food processor never did that.

6) Flimsy spatula.

7) The rim of the lid fits on the *outside* of the bowl. So if you blend anything liquidy, it's pretty much guaranteed to be spread all over the outside of the food processor. And the counter underneath. On my old food processor, the lid fit *inside* the bowl, which was a zillion times better at keeping drips contained, mess-free.

8) When I want to take off the bowl with the blade inside, the blade is always "locked" to the middle stem, which keeps the bowl from coming out unless I reach in and disconnect the blade. This is easy to do, but it's annoying, especially when the blade is covered in food.

9) The pusher that you use to push food through the feed tube has two parts to it. They often unlock from each other while I'm in the middle of using them to push food into the food processor. This seems mildly dangerous.

10) When I bought it, I loved the idea of having multiple bowls, so that I could chop one thing, then switch bowls and chop something else. However, to use a smaller bowl you need to put the smaller bowl inside the larger bowl and then run the food processor with both bowls attached. Unfortunately, the few times I've tried this, food from the smaller bowl has gotten onto the bigger bowl, making it dirty enough that it needed washing too, with no time saved.

The one thing that I *do* especially like about the KitchenAid more than my old food processor is that its base is very well-sealed, so it is easy to wipe spills off it.

You wanted to hear all of that. Right? :-)

----------

An update: Soon after I wrote this review, the food processor self-destructed. One of the metal blades ripped off of the shaft while I was using it. And then a piece of the latch broke off the lid in a way that sealed the lid and bowl permanently shut and permanently attached to the base. I was really happy, because it gave me a chance to buy a new food processor. I got a Braun CombiMax and am delighted with it. Here is a link to it: Braun CombiMax K-650 Food Processor, Braun K650 replaces the K600 The CombiMax has a much larger usable capacity than my old KitchenAid did, plus some nifty features that I haven't seen on any other food processor, such as a sealed bowl -- which means that liquid can't run out through the stem, so you can fill it *much* more full than other food processors.
2222 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on January 9, 2005
Color Name: White
I received the Cuisinart Prep 11 Plus food processor for Christmas. After doing a lot of research online, I decided to send it back and buy a Kitchenaid instead. Although I have never dealt with Cuisinart customer service, I read multiple negative reviews about them on multiple web sites. This reason, along with the fact that I have a Kitchenaid mixer (which I love) was enough reason to trade my Christmas present in.

I decided to buy the Kitchenaid Food Processor 750. However, Amazon.com sent me the 760 model. Maybe they were out of the 750...or maybe I lucked out through a computer glitch. Either way, I'm thrilled with my 760. I highly recommend you spend the extra 20-30$ for the 760 which has a few more attachments, including the juicer.

I have never used a food processor before, always relying on my handy Kitchenaid mixer. Today I used my processor for the first time to make a quick loaf of Banana Macadamia Nut Bread (a recipe included with the processor.) It was so easy to use, the directions were very user-friendly. As a side note, the bread was pretty tasty as well.

The Processor feels a little heavier than I expected, but I guess since it has a bigger motor that is to be expected. It felt very sturdy as it was mixing up my bread, and the motor hummed along fairly quietly. I am amazed at how quickly and expertly it sliced up the bananas! I can't wait to try it out with other recipes.

My parents have a Kitchenaid mixer that I remember using when I was growing up, so it is a good 20+ years old. It still runs like it is brand new. If this is indicative of Kitchenaid products, I expect my food processor will be in the family for many years to come!

As a side note: A friend of mine lives on Kodiak, a large Island in Alaska. She inherited a Kitchenaid mixer from a friend which was missing the bowl, and the cord had been frayed. She contacted Kitchenaid in hopes of fixing it. She said that Kitchenaid sent a repair man to the Island to fix it for her along with a replacement bowl at no cost to her. If this isn't quality customer service, I don't know what is!! I'm not sure if that is what KA really did, but nevertheless, they got her machine working again:) I love Kitchen Aid.
66 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on August 21, 2005
Color Name: Onyx Black
I really hate to say anything about Wolfgang Puck because it is totally not his fault, but I ordered his really beautiful food processor from HSN, TWICE! Both times it was used, with debris left on the blades!

So, I decided to order the KitchenAid 760 B and it is almost silent, chops, shreds, purify's, and pulverizes anything you put in it. The extra wide mouth on the food shoot is excellent for potatoes, zucchini, and large vegetables. So far, nothing I used in it slowed the motor down.

The use is simple and easy to put together and it cleans up beautifully with everything encased, leaving nothing open for food to get stuck. One spot may be the spindle which turns the blades, but it wipes out very easily.

The attachments which come with it along with the blades provided are enough to do anything you need. I've made bread dough, and being a vegetarian, used it to chop every manner of vegetable, effortlessly. Worth every dime, dollar, hundred dollar, two hundred dollars!
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on February 22, 2005
Color Name: White
I got this food processor right before Hanukkah, so of course the first thing I did with it was make latkes! I had to make a batch of 3 dozen latkes for my daughter's sixth-grade class, and I was not looking forward to all the grating. This food processor made short work of the onions and potatos, grating everything evenly and with minimum bruising, not to mention incredibly fast! As I was making baked latkes, I had to run the shredded veges through the work blade to make the shreds somewhat smaller. The food processor managed this again without turning my shreds into bruised mush. The blades are very, very sharp.

My latkes turned out great with a minimum of effort on my part--I was very, very happy! Since them I have used my kitchen aid (we have named her Diana, after Wonder Woman) many times and am always very happy with the results.

I knocked a star off the rating for two reasons: one, the lousy accessories packaging. The plastic box can only be stored flat because there is no way to lock the cover on. In my small apartment, I must store it sideways and it's closed with a very low-tech rubber band. Two, the smaller workbowls are only useable with the work blades provided. It would have been nice to be able to use the smaller bowls with a grater or slicer blade as well.
on August 30, 2005
Color Name: Onyx BlackVerified Purchase
Attractive. Fits on my counter under my cupboards. All the power I could want in a food processor. Removable parts can go into the dishwasher. The rest wipes clean easily with a damp cloth. My only complaint is that if I use the smaller bowls I will also have to wash the larger ones beneath, because whatever I blend leaks through the center hole and over the top rim during processing (even cheddar cheese). Not having had a processor with multiple bowls before, I don't know if that's preventable or not.
on April 18, 2006
Color Name: Onyx Black
I love to cook and was given an original Cuisinart back in 1980. That machine was great and I collected an extra workbowl and all the optional blades along the way. When it died after 22 years of almost daily use I just replaced it with the updated equivalent without doing any comparison shopping. What a mistake! Most of the accessories I'd collected did not fit the new Cuisinart and the construction of the machine itself, particularly the lid mechanism, felt cheap and was difficult to use. Shredding was also bad, and every time I used it to grate cheese had to hold onto it to keep it from moving around the counter, but after spending money on it, felt stuck with it. Well, after three years, the crappy lid broke. After doing some comparison shopping this time, decided to replace the whole thing rather than buy a new lid for a machine I hated.

This Kitchenaid is a real workhorse. Picked it up at a great price too with gift certificates and an Amazon offer. It is MUCH sturdier than the Cuisinart, stays put when it is on. I've used everything except the juicer, the three different sized work bowls are nifty, and shredding and slicing are a breeze in comparison to my old machine. The wide feed tube holds a lot and the locking mechanism just feels so much more secure. As a dedicated food processor junkie, I highly recommend this machine.
on February 7, 2006
Color Name: Onyx Black
This processor has some neat features - the feeding tube allows you to feed items such as carrots in a vertical position and the bowl is large. However, with the slicing attachments, you have to be extremely careful or you end up with plastic shavings in your food from the work bowl top. I contacted Kitchen Aid's customer service and they told me that I have to be very careful and not have the work bowl more than half full or that can happen. They said they would send me a new top. However, now I'm leary of using their slicing or shredding attachments for fear that something similar will happen again. What kind of product design is this!
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on July 26, 2005
Color Name: White
this is my second kitchen aid processor (I had their first model actually) and have to say they've made some improvements and streamlined it a bit. the base (buttons are flush) is easy to wipe clean and mega size work bowl (and 10 cup 'chef' bowl insert) were good additions. the plastic bowls are much better quality and kudos for the large feed tube. my former KA processor's blade actually cut grooves into the bowl and I tossed it as using hard plastic once it has been scratched or abrased can be detrimental to your health.

I've used it once and so far so good. the motor is powerful and it's not too loud. Will never use the small chopping bowl -- why bother with such a small bowl and tiny usless blade? this model's lid and feed tube are a little more complicated than the original model but thank god it's nothing like the dreaded appliance from he** the Cuinsinart is! Haven't tried the juice attachment yet but it seems sturdy enough.

My only real complaint are the annoying Kitchen Aid stickers advertising the big feed tube that I am soaking overnight in order to try to get off. I mean, the thing is inside a box and obviously I've already bought the thing so what's the purpose? how about a nice peel off sticker, hmmmm?
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on April 29, 2005
Color Name: White
This food processor is the bomb! I've had it for about three years, and it works great. The only problem I've had with it was that the juice attachment that came with it broke, probably due to overzealous use during a Cinco de Mayo party. Only the inner lime reamer was broken, but it made the entire attachment useless. Today, I called KitchenAid, and they are sending the part to me, free of charge, with a rush delivery, so that maybe I'll have it for my Cinco de Mayo party next week. KitchenAid is fabulous and so are their products!
on March 4, 2005
Color Name: Onyx BlackVerified Purchase
HIGHLY RECOMMEND THIS KITCHEN AID PRODUCT. I bought this food processer because we cook real food for our dog. The vegetable have to be chopped very fine in order for a dog to be able to digest them. I picked this one because a bunch of online reviews I read said that the KitchenAid brand was better than the Cuisinart. Also, the sales guy at Williams and Sononma recommended it since it was only $30 more than the comparable Cuisinart and has many more attachments. I'm not sure that I'll use the juicer but you never know. This processor made short work of a large head of broccoli. I really like the large mouth on the feed tube; you don't have to cut the vegetables really small. I'm looking forward to using the slicer discs to make potato chips.

Update - used the slicing disks to make potatoe chips, holy cow, this thing is worth every penny I paid for it, six potatoes in less than a minute. Also, my husband totally wrecked it making chips and Kitchen-Aid replaced it no questions asked. I didn't realize when I bought it that they had this policy, so that makes me recommend it even more.

Your Recently Viewed Items and Featured Recommendations