Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Crown the Empire Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer showtimemulti showtimemulti showtimemulti  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro

on March 4, 2008
The kettle's appearance is nice. It has high power and boils fast. Due to design of the lid the water is tightly covered so there is less evaporation.
Here are the problems.

1) The stainless floor becomes spotted and uneven really fast (faster than with my previous Braun kettle).

2) On my first unit power switch was malfunctioning. It took me 2-3-4 attempts before I could start it. I replaced the kettle with a new one and had the very same problems.

The bottom line.
If you decide to buy, don't do it online. Buy at some place where you can easily replace the kettle if the first (second, third etc.) one is defective.

I decided to return this kettle and buy Braun for the same price.

Update 08/08/2008
After half a year I decided to give it another try and bought a new black Krups Kettle from Bad Bath And Beyond again. I hoped that they produced a new batch with the known defect fixed. Nothing has improved. The third kettle is also defective in exactly the same way - power switch doesn't work properly and turns the kettle off several seconds after turning on.
55 comments| 57 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 5, 2010
I love the features of this kettle. However, after 10 months of use, it began to leak around the seam just where the bottom of the handle joins the body of the kettle. Disappointing.
99 comments| 28 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 12, 2007
My husband thinks that small appliances are a waste of counterspace and money. I don't always disagree, but we make press pot coffee twice a day and heating up the water on the stove took 15+ minutes and there was always floating sediment in the bottom of our kettle...sounds appetizing! I researched this kettle and liked the description that the water boiled quickly and turned off automatically....I also wanted it to retain heat and be able to be taken off of the heating source for serving. My husband (and I) really like this pot. We use it not only for coffee (full pot to boiling takes just under 5 minutes) but to boil water for pasta and other cooking. It saves me time and I don't want to be in the kitchen all night....this is one small appliance that we do not want to be without. The only change I would make is that the handle seems a bit large for the average hand so it is not as comfortable to hold and I still have sediment...which is probably a problem with my water. At least now I can get into the pot to clean through the large opening. No weird smells here and we have been using daily for 6 months.
on November 20, 2009
There are good/bad sides to anything, and here's an attempt at an unbiased review of both:

Note: We purchased this at Bed Bath & Beyond using the discount. We had to exchange it due to the on/off switch not working, and the second kettle still works fine after 2 years. I liked it so much I got one for my mother in law as a gift. Hers is also working fine after 1 year. Personally, I'm switching to a stainless steel kettle b/c I don't like having a plastic-lined kettle, and also the wattage is a bit too high for our kitchen (1750W is on the high end for electric kettles; some are 1500 or 1200W).

The Pros:
-item works well, have had no problems or leaks, etc.
-the high voltage heats water in just a couple minutes. i boiled 5 cups of water in 3 mins, 20 seconds. usually i boil only 2 cups at a time which is even quicker.
-not too loud as far as electric kettles go, sort of a low rumbling.
-easy to clean on the outside, dark color conceals splatters and dust
-the little switch on top lights up while it's boiling
-there's a trigger under the handle to open the lid. sometimes i open it to put the water in the kettle this way since the lid can be a pain (see below)

The Cons:
-for us, the high voltage has been a con, as it trips the breaker when we use our micro (which is 1100W) and the kettle (1750W) at the same time. fyi, our house is only 8 years old.
-we had trouble with the first model's on/off switch. it wouldn't stay on long enough to heat the water. (our 2nd kettle did not have this problem)
-the lid (on both that we tried) is a bit troublesome. you have to rotate it a bit back and forth (between "close" and "lock") to click it in place.
-the interior is the same as the exterior, a heavy-duty plastic material. the base is a silver metal, probly Stainless Steel. I am no longer comfortable boiling water in plastic for human consumption. The steel can get brownish from water deposits and needs to be cleaned (some stores sell drop-in tablets for that)--also normal.

Hope this review was helpful. I wrote it b/c I appreciate the reviews others have written! God bless, CB
on January 10, 2007
We bought this Krups FLF2-J4 with anticipation of and excelent machine for our needs. It is a nice looking unit light weight and fast at heating a full load of water. However, an odor is created in the unit and after two weeks of usage it still remains. It hadn't diminished during that time. It smells like burnt plastic and it transfers that to the water for our tea or fresh ground coffee. Not pleasant. We felt it just wasn't safe. I've repacked it and will return it if possible. Krups know of this as they mentioned it in their manual.
on April 19, 2007
I just purchased this product after alot of research of other similar

electric kettles.I followed the directions about boiling twice and I did

not detect any plastic taste or smell like other reviewers. The water boils fast, shuts off like it is supposed to, pours without steam burning

my hand and feels light even when full. I don't really need all that water

but I like having that feature.It's also very easy to clean. I love it!!
on February 21, 2007
When a cup of tea sounds wonderful, you won't have to wait long for it. Water heats very quickly, and with the automatic shut-off, you won't have to worry about it boiling dry. The very thin base is also great; it's almost invisible when the kettle is sitting on it, and is not cumbersome. I purchased the black one and it looks great in my kitchen; and is easily wiped off with a damp cloth.
on December 16, 2007
It has never worked, from the beginning. If I had time, I'd take it back. We have to hit the on switch anywhere from 4-9x every morning to get it to go to boiling. It just switches off. I'm buying a different one.
on June 20, 2012
The water heats up in very little time and it is a very well made and well designed kettle except for the shortness of the electrical cord... it is just too short. If they could have added another 4 inches or so, it would have gotten 5 stars.

About a year later....
The kettle started leaking at the handle just as the other Krups did after about a year.

On reading reviews online, a lot of people complain about this problem developing. It is not something that can be easily fixed and seems to come where there may be wires involved. The water leaked all over the counter.

I decided to replace this broken Krups with a stainless steel electric Kettle and ended up getting a
Cuisinart Electric kettle. I LOVE it. Some people complained about a bad taste, but I just washed mine out gently with a little vinegar and had no problem with it. Unlike the krups, the cuisinart's system has a separate electric pad, so there is no problem of leakage and I LOVE it! I will never buy another Krups again, becausse I kept having the replace them. I also got a warranty by squaretrade for the cuisinart for about $8.00 which is worth it, because I have heard some of the companies don't make it easy to get use out of the warranty, but squaretrade has been good with their policies.
on July 23, 2014
A very good electric tea kettle. I have had one of these for about six years. The top lid went bad on me after about 5 years and I purchased another lid and it is still working. I purchased this one as a backup about a year ago, but have not needed to use it yet. I am satisfied with it enough that I would buy another one if needed.

See 1 answered question