on March 1, 2005
I've had this laptop for about 4 months now, and the overall performance has been as expected for a Pentium 4 machine.

One serious downside though is the fan noise. For some reason I expect laptops to be quiet, but this one is not. The fan runs constantly, and is quite loud. I suppose this is necessary when using all the capabilities of the P4, but for normal web surfing and such "light duty" tasks, it is not. I think HP could have designed in a smarter fan speed controller, so that it only sounds like a vacuum cleaner when the CPU is really getting a workout (gaming and such). I feel it was a cop out on the part of the HP designers not to include a smarter fan speed controller.

Other than that, I think it's one of the best values out there. The display is great, as is the built-in numeric keypad, and the included software can't be beat.
on April 1, 2006
I have owned this laptop for almost a year and a half.

I needed a desktop replacement for my small home office and it has been wonderful for that.

This machine gets quite hot if held on the lap and even on the desk, the loud fans run fairly frequently. I purchased a notebook "lift" from Office Max which allows air to circulate beneath the machine - this keeps the machine cooler and the fans run less.

The battery life is only about 2 hours so I usually move the power cord around with me if I'm attempting to use the notebook as an actual "laptop" computer on my lap. The cord is longish and bulky, this machine really isn't very portable.

The machine is also quite heavy. Newer 17" screen notebooks are lighter and run a bit cooler.

The machine has been VERY stable, has not crashed and I have only had one problem under warranty. The keyboard and mouse stopped working a couple of months into ownership. The HP people were wonderful and the turn around time for repair was surprisingly quick - I got my computer back in a couple of days with a new keyboard.

My CD burner stopped working recently, but the repair is covered under my extended warranty through Circuit City, where purchased.

I am a graphic and web designer and run fairly large programs and have a lot of open windows in Firefox. The machine is very fast and has had plenty of room for my large digital illustration files, many fonts, and various software programs. I could probably count on one hand the times it has frozen or crashed during a heavy application.

I am looking to purchase a new laptop as I would like something more portable, less hot, and with a longer battery life. But this is a fantastic desktop replacement, nice screen, stable, and fast computer.
on October 31, 2005
I have owned this laptop for over a year now, and it runs every game I put on it (Not on full graphics though). I watch all my dvd's on it too because it is better then watching it on my small TV. I have had no problems with it, except that the fans are really loud and can get pretty hot, so can the adapter. Also the battery life on it only lasts a few hours, like 2 hours total.

I give this laptop 5 out of 5!
on November 29, 2004
Was looking for a desktop replacement pc for my home. Also wanted to use it to watch movies in the den. It is a bit heavy, but what do you expect with a 17inch screen. Well designed keyboard, and mouse touch pad. Recommended for home use. For serious computing needs at work, I still use the IBM Thinkpads. If you have lots of money to burn, I would also recommend the sony laptops with Xbrite displays. That display is awesome.
on January 6, 2005
Got this to because of the integrated wireless card to use all around the house. Connection is great, speed is awesome and display is good. As said in other reviews, it is heavy, gets hot and the battery life is not for extreme mobile usage. I have watched several movies and burned CD's and I have yet to notice any significant lag time. The speakers are better than most notebooks, but not as good as I expected from Harman Kardon. One feature I would have liked was a second headphone jack, but I can live without it...lol. Overall, I would recommend it as a good notebook if you are buying it for the size of the screen. Otherwise I would recommend looking at Toshiba or Sony.
on December 26, 2004
I have a 7000 series notebook. P4 3Ghz, 1Gb Ram, 60Gb Hard Drive, Geforce card,wireless,DVD Burner etc.

Works great love it. Got it from HP.com though for financing. Ran bout $700 cheaper than Dell's XPS Notebook. If I had the cash I would go for an Alienware. But my Hp is doing good. Got it for gaming and graphics work.

Your Recently Viewed Items and Featured Recommendations