Truck Month Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Bob Dylan Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Luxury Beauty The Baby Store Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Cash Back Offer DrThorne DrThorne DrThorne  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Outdoor Recreation SnS

on April 4, 2005
I was hesitant to buy this...only the DeWalt return policy gave me the confidence to purchase it. It's supposed to be reconditioned, but looks brand new to me. So far I've bought 5 reconditioned tools from Amazon, and they all looked brand new....no scratches, plastic handles, etc., are new, and smells like new plastic. LIke many people, I like the feel and smell of new tools....and like to feel I'm working with a great tool...but these reconditioned tools are for all practical purposes brand-new. I've had nothing but great luck with them...the factories must replace the outer plastic parts and all visible working parts and just keep the motors..if that much. .I can't see how anything has been used.

For this vacuum, I was worried about how powerful it was. I do everything from work on cars to replace electrical outlets, etc. I was looking for a portable vacuum powerful enough to pick up drywall dust, sawdust, etc. And the DeWalt DC500R is just the trick. It has more power than I thought. Not as much as an upright, but enough to suck all the dust out of the corners of carpeted stairs, etc. It will suck up fine drywall dust and none of it gets put back into the room. The hose is one inch ID and will suck up chunks of wood, drywall, stones, dirt, brick dust, anything that fits. It is great for the carpeting in your car: my wife and daughter love it to clean their cars. The filter is fantastic: it's stuck on tight and easy to clean and can be used over and over. I just open it up, dump the dirt into a garbage can, and clean the filter with my dust collector.. It's also lightweight: I had my 8 yr old son clean the carpeted stairs down to the basement with it. It's safer than trying to balance an upright on stairs. It's also quieter than the average upright: the sound is not annoyingly loud. Overall, it's one of those tools that does jobs others can't...and you'll have a cleaner house, cleaner cars, and cleaner work areas. The 18 v battery lasts about 20 minutes....and has the same power as plugging it into 110v. It also dies out fast...it'll work full power and then die out quickly...it takes about 1 minute to die down. which is good. Like other DeWalt owners, I wish the battery was NiMH...but they're not. So I have to give DeWalt a lower grade for their batteries....but for what this is, and what it does. it's a 5....it's impressive and solves a lot of cleanup problems....I also found out that Shop-Vac accessories will fit on this vacuum....the hose size is 1 1/8 inch...
review image review image
VINE VOICEon May 8, 2005
Though I have an excellent Fein shop vacuum, I get tired of dragging it all over the house for what amounts to light clean-up jobs. I decided to leave my Fein in the workshop and give this vac a try as my "portable" unit. I am extremely pleased with this decision! I have found that this vacuum operates equally well when plugged into the wall or when it is running off of my 14.4v battery pack. I was worried that suction would diminish if I used the battery option, but it does truly seem to have the same suction power with both power sources. As for the suction, it is of course not as strong as a quality, full sized shop vac - but for what it is intended, it does a great job. Remember, what you lose in suction you gain in mobility. I have had no problem sucking up sawdust, drywall dust, dirt, dead bugs, etc. Honestly, the longer I have this thing the more uses I come up with for it. By disconnecting the hose and attaching it to the exhaust side of the vacuum, you have a small blower. Though I wouldn't say it is powerful in this capacity, I am able to blow all of the grass clippings off of my patio after mowing the yard (in cordless mode of course). All in all, this is a very useful and well designed tool that I highly recommend.

As for buying the "reconditioned" model, I have no complaints. The unit I received looked and operated as good as new with only one insignificant blemish - one of the vaccum attachments seems to have been left in the sun as the plastic is a bit faded. This was the ONLY indication however that this unit was not new whan I received it. It even smelled new...
on August 5, 2005
I just love this vacuum. I was looking for a product to replace my broken hand vac for jobs in the house and was also looking for a smaller shop vac for the garage. This item handles both tasks beautifully! I find excuses to use it. My blinds have been cleaned for the first time in years!

The item is more powerful and quieter than expected. I get about 20-25 minutes on an 18 volt XRP battery, but almost all vacuum jobs are much less than that. I love that it has the corded option if needed. The vacuum hose expands and contracts nicely. It also converts to a blower in seconds which has come in handy a couple of times already.

Be aware that the battery and charger are not included so the cordless option is really only practical if you already own compatible Dewalt cordless tools. Also, it does not come with many hose accesories, but I have several 1 1/4" add-ons from my broken hand vac that work great.

My refurb unit appeared brand new so don't be afraid to buy one and save a few bucks.
on September 3, 2008
It's a wet & dry vac and a blower. It has two power sources (AC and DC). The container is large enough to handle a variety of messes. The filter is super easy to wash (garden hose or faucet) and reusable. It comes with the most often used accessories, the hose is long enough (stretches to about 4 feet) and all are a standard size fitting. The suction power is strong enough to suck-up mess without devouring the carpet. Battery life (XRP or Nano) is 20 minutes before it shuts off. It's lightweight, easy to carry and the noise level is less than most portable vacs. Overall, it's very well made and I bought a refurbished one.
on September 4, 2005
Although reconditioned, the unit looks and acts like new.

It is a powerful, portable, convenient vacuum.

For quick cleanups of small jobs (drilling holes for hanging pictures, etc.) or vacuuming the interior of your vehicle, this vacuum is excellent.
on December 15, 2013
works just fine no complants,this was a replacement for the one that had been broken. this is doing the job
on October 13, 2005
Compared to my 2 gallon Crafstman corded wet vac, this kinda sucks (no pun intended). It's far louder, bigger, bulkier, has less suction, and I guess I'm a bit disappointed. It's a pity though, because it's an idea that I've been waiting for ever since I bought their excellent 14.4V drill (and saw and light combo).
on January 22, 2008
This vacuum not only looks great but it cleans wonderfully! The size is perfect for those smaller jobs and the suction is great. The reconditioned product appears brand new and I saved a few $$'s!
on December 23, 2014
not very much power
on August 2, 2005
everything is very good. I would have given it a 5 star if the cord had been twice as long.