Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Leica 10x25 BCA w/Case Binocular (Black)
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer showtimemulti showtimemulti showtimemulti  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

on October 11, 2011
I have owned the Leitz Trinovid 10 x 25 binoculars for many years and rate the item highly. The optics are first-rate, and I enjoy the feature that allows the user to adjust the eyepiece for those who wear glasses. The binoculars are quite small and light and easily fit into a moderately-sized shirt or jacket chest pocket. Unfortunately the binos provide only a string-loop that can be worn around the neck. The loop is attached to only one of the binocular barrels, ruling out being able to wear the binoculars via a binocular strap. This is not a major concern, and there may be strap manufacturers that offer straps that can easily be attached to the center of the Trinovids so that they can be worn outside clothing on the chest area for easy retrieval. Fortunately, my hunting jackets have fairly large chest pockets that easily accommodate the Trinovids.

I had dropped the binoculars about a year ago and was concerned that the alignment might have been affected. I sent the unit back to the company; it took about two months to complete a re-alignment and recheck of the lenses, etc., at a cost of about $125. The binoculars now operate like new.

Would I buy another pair of Trinovids? Probably. If the user doesn't require particularly sharp optics, a less expensive pair might be a consideration. I wanted the best binoculars I could find for around $300 (the price has increased just a bit since I purchased the Trinovids) and decided on the Trinovids after comparing other binoculars of similar specifications. I like the compactness and quality of this model, but would probably want to add another pair that offer a wider field of view for sports car races, etc., even though it means I would have to settle for something larger and less compact.

I am a person who doesn't like to skimp on quality, since my experience has been that if I buy something cheap, I end up wanting to eventually replace the item, thus wasting money. One more thing: I purchased the Leitz's over the Zeiss 10 x 25 binos merely because the Leitz binoculars seemed to have an easier center focus-adjust. Other than that, I found both brands to be identical in visual quality. I had purchased both from one of the camera companies on the east coast just to be able to compare the two, kept the Leitz's and sent the Zeiss's back.

I gave these binoculars four stars only because I wish the company had provided a fixed attachment loop at the center of the binoculars, or attachments on both barrels, so as to provide for attachment of straps to keep the binoculars in place on the chest when walking. The single loop attached to only one barrel is fine, but only if the user is standing still or sitting. Walking with the loop around the neck allows the binoculars to swing all over the place, making it almost mandatory that they be worn in a pocket or hand-carried when walking.
on February 9, 2013
Why would someone pay $500 for a pair of Leitz binoculars when you can buy a different brand for $50? I tried these binoculars and immediately found out why. Perfect clarity, no blue haze, no fall-off at the edges, no blurryness or color fringes, these are the binoculars to own.
on December 25, 2012
I have owned these binoculars for over 15 years. They work flawlessly and produce a very sharp, very bright image. Every one I hand them too always goes "whoa" when they look though them the first time. They fit easily into a coat pocket. If I every lose them I wouldn't hesitate to get another pair.
on October 22, 2013
I've had these binoculars for over 20 years and used them for hiking and sporting events where I don't want to lug a full sized set. During America's Cup, I was using them during a race and dropped them on a concrete floor. The prism was knocked out of alignment and one hinge was damaged. I sent them to Leica for repair, explained what happened, and obviously expected to have to pay for repairs. They came back just like new and no charge. I'm sold on Leica. It was of course not the fault of the binoculars but that of a clumsy owner. Great product and company.
HALL OF FAMEon September 14, 2005
The Leica 10X25 BCA Trinovid binocular will appeal mainly to hikers and other nature enthusiasts who need a compact, relatively lightweight, binocular with a narrower field of view than a wider 8x20 model. However, having handled this binocular as well as its wider 8X20 sibling, I have found that it is not nearly as bright as the rival Zeiss Victory compact binoculars, and is not nearly as easy to focus. If you are seriously thinking of purchasing this type of binocular, I would strongly recommend instead looking at the Zeiss Victory compact binoculars or their equivalents manufactured by Swarovski.

(EDITORIAL NOTE 1/17/15: IMHO the Zeiss Victory compact 10 x 25 binoculars are still superior to this Leica model, especially with the addition of the Locutec lens coatings that offer rainproof protection that have been standard features of the Victory compacts - including the 8 x 20 - for at least the last four years.)
44 comments| 25 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 12, 2013
I've often considered writing a review on Amazon. I love reading others, but I'm just too lazy. This is my first time. I bought these suckers about 20 years ago in Amsterdam when I was cash flush. I asked for the very best compact binox and this is what they recommended. I treat them like royalty because the views are just so dang beautiful. They allow me to enjoy nature more than anyone. And because if something happened to them, I'm now too poor to afford another pair! Just a moment ago, I went out on my porch, saw Jupiter bright in the sky, and pulled out my Leicas. It's not easy; you have to keep your hands really still, but I'm not lying (lieing?) when I say that I could faintly see at least two of Jupiter's moons. In the past, I've been able to see four of the moons: same as what Galileo saw with his frickin telescope!
on August 27, 2012
Absolutely phenomenal glass on these lenses. I am so impressed with how crystal clear they are. I use them when i go birdwatching with my father. The only thing is the price. They are pretty expensive, so unless you are really into watching birds then stick with a lower cost alternative.
on January 15, 2014
the overall quality of the leica name is quite evident in this product. they can't compare with my cannon 15x45 is binoculars but it is an apple to oranges comparison. the glass is great, but the true use is the ability to carry them with you and not to feel encumbered
on January 6, 2014
The size and weight were perfect, they stayed in focus around my neck, and I used them for hunting the woods of NC and big corn fields in Iowa and could see right up to dark.
Bill Akridge
on April 27, 2014
I have carried these on elk hunting trips and duck hunting trips for 25 years, but they really proved their worth at a Merlefest concert this weekend. The colors were perfect. The resolution made you feel as though you were on stage with the performers. The big screens around the site were pathetic compared to view through these binoculars. My wife took them for most of the performance. Our friends are contacting Amazon for some of their own. Perfect pocket size for hikers and bikers and bird watchers. Looks like I will need another pair for next year's concert.