Professional restaurant supplies Spring Reading 2016 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Grocery Made in Italy Amazon Gift Card Offer out2 out2 out2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl ReadyRide Bikes from Diamondback May4th

on October 6, 2012
I have 8 of these in my kitchen due to a California mandate on my kitchen remodel, which was done in 2007.
I have replaced all of them at least twice, and some as many as 3 times.
I have bought the GE F26TBX every time, because that's the only thing out there.

It is therefore safe to conclude that the life of these bulbs is VERY POOR (< 2 years average).

Given their high cost vs. incandescent, they are a RIPOFF! If only the state law hadn't mandated fixtures that force me to use this bulb. I could be really saving energy if the government hadn't done any mandate at all, because I'd already be using much longer life and more energy efficient LED replacement floods! Another case of a government policy that's expensive, became outdated too quickly, and locks me into an inferior solution (unless I spend a small fortune on new fixturing).
on January 27, 2013
Since my kitchen is hard wired for these lamps, I wish I could write a good review, but sadly, I've had poor luck with them. In the 5 years I've lived in my house, I've replaced all of these lamps at least 3 times, with an average life of between 1 and 2 years. Sadly, we have some incandescents that are still running after 5 years of similar use, which by comparison, reflects poorly on these fluorescents. If I had an easy retrofit (LED would be ideal) I would drop these fluorescents in a heartbeat. Doesn't help that these contain mercury vapor and require special disposal when they wear out.
on December 2, 2015
We just moved into a new house. It was built in 2006, so it had these types of lights in the two bathrooms. Neither worked when we moved in, so I found the F26TBX on Amazon and ordered two. When I plugged them, even though the light switch was off, they "popped" and flashed when I plugged them in - kind of startling. I was very disappointed on how dim they were when you first turn them on. Totally unacceptable in the bathroom. I also noticed that only two of the three tubes seem to be illuminating. After about 5 minutes, they get brighter, and are barely acceptable. I'm going to remove the lights/sockets and replace them with regular light sockets, and put LED lamps in there. They don't have this problem.
on January 29, 2016
Absolute junk. Save your money, use it to replace the fixtures with LED. All you do is yank the can, and bypass the ballast unit to connect to a plug-in replacement LED. Brighter, dimmable, and long-lasting LED makes these lights laughable.
on January 30, 2015
Delivery was good, and the make and model were correct. However the bulbs' intensities dimmed noticeably within the first month of use. The original bulbs that came with the house did not do this until after over a year of use. I am not sure if the model or perhaps production batch is the issue. Your mileage may vary.
on November 8, 2013
Bought six in Sept. 2012. In the past month, two of them have already failed. They're just being used in a walk-in closet -- getting maybe 30-60 minutes of total run time a day. That would mean about up to 365 hours of use in a year. That's a FAR CRY from the purported 12,000 hours average life.

I am getting the sense these GEs are junk. I'm replacing with these highly-recommended Phillips Bulbs instead: B0007DAAWS

Update: 3rd one died 11/4/13...
on February 28, 2013
Couldn't find this exact wattage & color temp stocked locally anywhere for some reason, so was helpful to buy these from Amazon. I agree with others that if given the choice, this style bulb is a poor value. But if you need these bulbs for your fixtures, these work.
on April 23, 2013
I liked the design of this bulb. But the cans they installed in my kitchen are not compatible with the base of this bulb. I tried for 15 minutes to insert it but it wouldn't stay. I had to stick with the Phillips version which popped in as expected. They are both 4 pin so I don't understand why the base is different but they are. It may be wise to stick with the make/model that is initially installed because there are socket compatibility issues from can to can apparently. Returning them was no problem.
on June 15, 2012
My six bulbs arrived within 2-3 days. I installed all of them in my kitchen ceiling light fixtures, replacing the soft white bulbs that started burning out after only
two years. These new bulbs are bright white, which adds much more light to the kitchen. I hope they last as long as advertised.
on January 19, 2012
The bulbs in our 6 year old house finally started going out in our kitchen. I wasn't aware until I took out the original ones that they had a 4-pin base. I went down to Lowe's and this was the only similar sized bulb they carried....but they wanted about $14 including tax for them. Happy to find them on-line at Amazon for a bit cheaper. These bulbs are MUCH brighter than the ones we had in originally. These are 4100k bright white bulbs....we have 5 in our kitchen and it now feels like daylight in here 24 hrs a day. My wife loves it. The original bulbs were 2700k in a more yellowish light.

So far very happy with them. Hope these last 5-6 years as well.

See 1 answered question