Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon King Bose SoundLink AE All-New Amazon Fire TV Grocery Valentine's Day Cards Create an Amazon Wedding Registry Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Prime Exclusive Savings in Video Games Shop Now Sale

on September 26, 2007
If you do walking/hiking on dirt, rocks, and or gravel, these socks help. They really do cushion your feet from feeling the rocks or gravel, and do therefore let you walk more comfortably. I know they seem a bit expensive, but I feel they are well worth the money.
0Comment28 of 28 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 18, 2007
These are wonderful supportive socks, that will make sure that your feet stay dry, while not getting any blisters anywhere. I have several pairs from different years and my husband uses the running sock from Thorlo, which is also great. These are much better than your average wool walking sock or your cotton sport sock. They might seem more expensive, but the quality is absolutely worth it!
0Comment24 of 24 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 26, 2006
I'm a huge fan of Thorlo socks. They fit extremely well and are thus extremely comfortable. I prefer to wear boat type shoe as the Throlo provides all the support I need and the combination is great for all kinds of outdoor activity, from work to shopping.

I bought my first pair 8 yrs ago and they are still going strong.

The light hiker is best with light type open shoe for non vigorous activity. You can also substiute these for slippers although on a smooth floor they can be somewhat slippery (the regular hikers are the best slipper substitutes though).

My only wish is that they had more color variety.
22 comments47 of 52 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 24, 2010
I can't say enough good things about the Lt Hiker. Hiking is a favorite hobby of mine and each pair of Lt Hikers I own has seen at least 100 miles on the trail - and far more in everyday use. My job involves working in streams and before I put on my waders I make sure I'm wearing Thorlos. They stay on my foot while other socks fall down and bunch up around my toes. I've tried all the major brands (Smartwool, Fox River, Patagonia, Bridgedale, Dahlgren, etc) and although most of them are comfortable to wear none have been as durable as Thorlo. I wear them everyday because they're comfortable, stay in place and last longer than the others. It's a sock - it may not change your life but I assure you, they won't disappoint you and once you buy them you can stop thinking about socks and get on to a more exciting topic.
0Comment26 of 28 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 17, 2012
I will put out a video review at some point, I have thorlo's from 10 years ago that are still great, the ones that I have purchased in the last few years quality has gone down the toilet. The ankles wear thin in about a year. I have about a dozen pair of various types, four pair of the light hiking socks for every day use. I have very flat feet so they are/where a blessing, however I think they moved there op's off shore. The socks from 10 years ago are still in great shape, the ones from a year ago are ready to fall apart.
1010 comments35 of 40 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 27, 2010
I love these socks! The Thorlo Coolmax Light Hiker Crew Socks are my favorite. I have at least 7 pair in 3 colors. I bought my first pair about 7 or 8 years ago and haven't worn one out yet! Of course, as my wife likes to point out, I have a lot of socks, so I'm not sure how many times I've worn them. All I know is I wear them more often than most of my socks, and others have worn out more quickly.

They're available in different sizes, and the size 11 fit me great. I wear a size 8.5 men's shoe. I have Walnut Heather, Navy Heather, and Everglade Heather. When I first got them, I had trouble telling the latter two colors apart. Now that they've faded a little, I don't even try.

They're pretty thick and stretchy and have great cushion. My feet sweat fairly easily, and these are great for keeping my feet dry. I assume it's the thickness combined with the Coolmax. I'm pretty comfortable in them in all weather, but in SoCal, it doesn't get that cold very often. If I'm spending some time outside and it's really hot, I have lighter socks that I sometimes wear with ventilated shoes.

I tried wearing the Light Hikers while I played sports, but I stopped. My feet sweat way too much, and the thickness of the sock held onto the moisture, despite the Coolmax. Also, the thickness made my shoes feel looser. My feet didn't feel as stable when I cut.

So, I wear them as an every day, casual sock, and my feet are very happy when I do.
on June 25, 2008
This sock is a great fit, I bought them for working on hot rooftops in Texas. They keep my feet dry and comfortable and worth the extra cost to me.
P.S. I have purchased Thorlo socks several times. Initially because of customer reviews, then twice more because they are so well made and comfortable. These would also make a great gift for a practical person.
on September 24, 2010
I used to get hot spots and small blisters. Not anymore. Use them when ever hiking in which boots are required. I do 8-10 milers with no problems with my feet at all. It makes your hikes much more enjoyable when your feet are comfortable
on June 6, 2015
I tried these socks out during a 3-day backpacking trip on the Big Island of Hawaii in conditions that ranged from 80-degree humid sunny weather to 60-degree cloudy and breezy. I usually wear a men's US size 7 shoe and these socks fit great in the heel but the toe area stretched out a bit and was a little loose. Thorlos are known for having a lot of padding. Some people like it and some don't. In comparison, Smartwool socks are less thick. Personally, I like the extra cushioning. Any hiking boots I buy tend to have some loose areas, so I like that Thorolos are extra thick. Despite being Light Hiker socks, they don't seem any thinner than the standard Thorlo KX socks. I didn't notice much cooling effect. In fact my feet did get pretty hot and sweaty in 80-degree humid full sun weather, however some of that could have been my pretty heavy weight waterproof hiking boots. The socks didn't seem to get smelly after a couple days of wear. They didn't slide down my ankles, and the fit around the heels was like a glove. I was really pleased at how these socks kept their cushioning even through a full day of backpacking. I also had a pair of Wigwam light hiker socks which initially fit and felt great but after a several hours of hiking underneath a 40-lb pack, the heel cushioning on the Wigwam socks became completely matted and didn't provide much cushioning at all. So I switched them out for the Thorlos. In summary, these Thorolo socks have thick padding, good fit, especially at the ankles and the heels, and good durability in terms of how the cushioning holds up after a full day of hiking. If cushioning and really good padding is your main priority, Thorlos are the best I've tried so far.
on June 15, 2014
I have been wearing these socks for years. This most recent pair is not comparable in quality to the older ones of the same type/model that I wear every day. They arrived with multiple pulls in the fabric. Not removed from the package or ever laundered they feel much less substantial.
Thorlos are very expensive. In the past I have been able to justify the expense because of their superior workmanship and quality.
Time to find another manufacturer with better quality control.
Very disappointed!