Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Blake Shelton Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Grocery Father's Day Gifts Amazon Cash Back Offer LoveandFriendship LoveandFriendship LoveandFriendship  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $149.99 All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Outdoor Recreation Learn more

Size: 1 Filter|Change

on April 16, 2013
SLOW WATER MYSTERY SOLVED!!

If you're looking at the reviews, you'll see many that hate this filter complain about slow water flow. Googling the issue with this filter you'll see it's really common on many other sites. After many years of dealing with this, GE has finally rolled out a newer design. Not sure when this happened, but Home Depot in the Chicago area started to carry the newer ones summer of 2014. I waited until my 2nd filter to now leave a review here (deleted my old review since I couldn't figure out how to add image while updating an old review).

Anyways, the new filter is GOOD with EXCELLENT water flow. Just like when fridge was new. I recommend you buy it in person at Home Depot so that you know you're buying the new design. How do you tell the difference, please see the images in this review. First, the box will look different. Box design has MWF in bold black print and "splash of water" in bottom right. The old packaging was green and blue. Second, to confirm the new design see the comparison image I added. Notice the new design has 2 tabs that protrude from what was the flat area of the old filter. This is consistent with an old hack for the filter (that worked for me) of cutting out a plastic "washer" that assisted in pushing in the pointed button where the filter connects to. You can see this "pointed button" when you take out the filter and look at the filter head. If you push that in, you'll see that is where all the water supply enters the filter. It was suspected the old design either did not depress that fully or the filter being flush just blocked the water supply some. If you're wondering why the fridge wasn't like that when you bought it, it's like it was using the even older design made by Culligan. You can google the info on that, but basic Culligan made the filters and there was a dispute between the 2 companies.

Anyways, I hope this helps clear up the mystery for some folks.
review image review image
1010 comments|204 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 9, 2012
I really like the simplicity of this filter. You don't need to turn off anything to install it and you can easily do with with you bare hands without using specialized tools. It has never leaked and does a great job providing water filtered through activated charcoal for about 6 months. I had to admit I was curious about what was inside so I opened an old unit open to check it out. I included an image in the media section. GE uses an interesting approach with this filter. Rather than using a mesh screen with activated charcoal particles in an inner sleeve, they developed a solid, fused charcoal plug that must serve as both the particle and chemical filter. The filter canister is really thick-walled so I imagine it can withstand even intense water pressure. All and all a great product.
review image
11 comment|112 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon May 30, 2007
Shipped immediately, took it out of the box, ignored all the instructions and warnings as men do, unscrewed the other one, put this one in, filled up 2 big glasses of water to "flush it" and that was it.

Maybe 5mins worth of effort?

Not sure what else to say in a review of this item, worked great in our GE fridge.
1010 comments|251 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 27, 2008
This was the same filter I could have ordered from GE directly, but at a much better price.
22 comments|118 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 6, 2012
I read some of the negative reviews and gave this a try anyway. Fearing that I may end up getting a used repackaged product (as mentioned in some of the negative reviews) I made sure to pick up a TDS* water meter/tester as well. Not only to make sure I got a new filter from this seller, but also so I can test the various liquids used around my home.

As I'd mentioned in my review for the TDS* water meter/tester, my tap water is hard so I used the baseline measurement (PPM's) of a bottle of Poland Spring water. My main concern about this filter or my refrigerator water line in general, was that it wasn't going to make too much of a difference drinking water from the tap versus one that came out of this filter. After my baseline measurements, my concerns were put at ease.

Below are results from my tests:

(measurements in PPM)

Gatorade = 260
5 month old filter from my refrigerator water line = 240
New filter from my refrigerator water line = 200
Melted ice (4 hours) = 293

So what did I learn from this... My tap water isn't too bad, this particular filter can probably go another month or two, and I really need to clean my ice maker. The good news is that this filter removed 80+PPM's of TDS* from my tap.

*TDS* - Total Dissolved Solids are the total amount of mobile charged ions, including minerals, salts, or metals dissolved in a given volume of water.
66 comments|207 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 4, 2012
Water passing through this filter was painfully slow. We waited patiently hoping the water pressure would increase over time. After several months, I called the GE answer center. They had me remove the filter and use the by-pass plug. The water pressure was normal without the filter installed, so the problem was the filter.

Then I got the bad news. GE says Amazon is not an authorized retailer and they would not replace the filter. They said "Don't ever buy them on-line because we can't guarantee the quality." I hope Amazon will work with GE to resolve this issue.
1515 comments|114 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 15, 2015
Six months ago I ordered one sold by Amazon and it worked great with my fridge.
A week ago I ordered another one and did not notice that is not sold by Amazon. At first I thought there is no big deal, it was prime eligible so it arrived on time.

I received the package and I noticed something is not right when I tried to replace it. The two filters do not look the same.
So I immediately went to Home Depot to buy another one to see which of them is bootleg.

I have three photos here:
Photo 1 - the boxes:
Left - from Appliance Cove, Right - from Home Depot.
Left one is a bit smaller. An extra label is there hiding the original barcode. The barcode on top does not match anything from Google search.
Right one is a bit bigger. Search the barcode on Google will return you it is GE MWF water filter.

Photo 2 - the filter:
From left to right: from Amazon, from Appliance Cove, from Home Depot.
You can notice that the print of the center one is worse than the others.

Photo 3 - the filter again:
From left to right: from Amazon, from Appliance Cove, from Home Depot.
Again the center one does not look same as the others. The align arrow does not align and it is shorter than the others.

Clearly the one from Appliance Cove is a bootleg product.
review image review image review image
on August 10, 2015
I've been asked by Amazon to post a review of this refrigerator filter. At first, I thought this an odd request, but then I put more thought into it and decided there were details about this filter I must share. First and foremost, this water GE brand MWF refrigerator filter is not your run of the mill filter. It is the one filter which fits MY refrigerator. The GE crafts people....artisans, if you will, if not downright creative geniuses, carefully injected plastic into a mold, filled the well of the shaped receptacle with materials such as ground up ancient and mysterious stones. Then they wove the fine silk-like fibers of poly vinyl chloride and shaped them caringly into a perfect circle of efficiency. These items were then combined in the ways of the ancient mystics in order to create the MWF filter. The result? The ice cubes and cold water dispensed by my refrigerator are devoid of any foul colors and distasteful debris. I am beginning to believe that MWF stands for "most wonderful and fulfilling". This is the standard by which all other refrigerator filters should be judged. I am so grateful to GE for making this almost magical product. It wasn't just made with the intent to keep me healthy, it was made in order to tell me that I matter...that they love me. They don't just sell me this filter, they graciously ALLOW me to purchase it. I get weepy when I consider that it is I, who have been chosen, from all others to have been given this gift from GE, every year for the measly sum of from $35 to $43 depending upon availability. I would urge you to do what you must, in order to be worthy of similar treatment....a vow of poverty, celibacy, or silence? You know, deep down, what you should...no, make that what you MUST do, in order to be considered for owning this filter.
on June 27, 2012
I was a little worried about changing the filter as I'd never done it before and wasn't entirely sure this was the right filter. Returns with Amazon are really easy, so I just bought it and two days later it was here (thanks to amazon prime). The instructions were simple and very easy to follow. They include simple instructions for removing the old filter without breaking anything. The water tasted TONS better immediately. The filter was less expensive on amazon than in the local stores. I can't think of a reason to give it less than 5 stars...
review image
on September 18, 2015
You just can't go wrong buying original manufacturer GE refrigerator water purification cartridges actually made by GE. Since they're fully enclosed (and consequently you will never know exactly what's inside) you should be able to trust the original manufacturer, who has a reason to make high quality replacement parts so that you don't think your fridge is defective. On the other hand, refrigerator owners need to know that your GE fridge is programmed to notify you to replace the cartridges every six months WHETHER OR NOT you need to do so. We've easily gotten more than a year out of each cartridge; you can tell it needs replacement when the water doesn't taste quite as fresh as it should. I like to keep an extra cartridge on hand in case I need one quickly, but so far that has never happened. Happy Hint: Write the date you replace the cartridge on the cartridge itself with a black sharpie pen, and that way you will know exactly how long your cartridge lasts (which can vary according to the water supply you are using).