Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: KEEN Men's Targhee II Hiking Shoe
Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Melvins Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors

on February 25, 2015
I like the shoes but there is a major design flaw that renders these shoes completely useless...
The strap that wraps around the heel and provides the uppermost shoelace "lacing" is a single failure point wrapped around the entire back of the shoe and completely exposed. The point below your ankle bone where the strap angles in a "V" shape is particularly vulnerable as it sticks out a little farther than the shoe surface. If this strap breaks after being rubbed or snagged, the shoe cannot be laced up properly. After light usage 1 shoe had a broken strap and the other was close to breaking, foolish design.
review image
on March 27, 2014
Here is the letter i wrote to Keen Customer service today:
I have worn virtually nothing but the targhee keen hiking shoes for seven years-but no more. What have you done? I have owned 5 pairs. They were all Perfect! Imagine my shock when I went to get a new pair Yesterday and found that not only did my size 11's no longer fit, there was now no size that fit! They are tight across top of foot, look terribly cheap, and are obviously very shoddily made.

I can buy a cheap shoddy shoe that doesnt fit at wal mart for $29. Why would i pay $129 for the same thing?

Went on line this morning and found out long term Keen fans are all having same disastrous experience.

So sad to see Keen go the same way as all the other greedy corporations producing cheap lousy products while trying to get a premium price for them.

Good bye Keen....
55 comments|215 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 2, 2014
Having worn Keen shoes for the last 7 years and been very happy with them (I went thru 3 pairs of Alki Lace and others-I like the
wide front and protected toe because I have problem feet). I was really disappointed having ordered 2 pairs of Men's Targhee II
Hiking Shoe - one for me and one for my son - we ordered the size we always wear. Keen in manufacturing them (probably in China, etc) "Well to make a long story short the manufacturer shorted the size 8-1/2 is now 7-1/2 and same with my son's size 12.
By shorting they expect to make more money maybe?? But on my behalf it causes a lot of problems in returning them and also
Amazon is probably stuck with free shipping loss - it's not their fault. I like the looks of them very much - but now comes the other
problem. I would return for a bigger size - BUT….. the manufacturer is using cheap rubber and they stink like the shoes one finds in K-mart or Walmart. The stench will stink the whole bedroom up and my feet when I take them off. Stick your nose in them and you will find out. Smells like being in the Good Year Tire store. Sorry to say all this but it is true and it is causing me an inconvenience and disappointment because I really like the looks of these hiking shoes. Me and my son's toes were smacked up against the front of the shoe. Impossible to wear. I am on my way now to return them. Keen should respect their customers and have tighter Quality Control over what they sell because it makes their loyal long standing customers go elsewhere.
on October 8, 2013
I've only had these shoes a short time and the bottom of the shoe has started to fall apart. I work in a lumberyard and put these shoes through the conditions and they can't handle it! For the money I spent I expected more than a couple of months. Buyer beware!!!!
on November 7, 2011
I have owned about 6 pairs. I admit (as some complain) they only last me a year or so, but I wear them daily and don't really expect more than that. I find them super comfortable for everyday wear and for hiking (not quite good enough for backpacking I find). I have 5 acres of property to maintain and am always out in the rain and mud. They do the job for me. (Actually, one pair I owned did NOT keep my feet dry. Must have been a bad pair.) I have worn similar shoes for years made by Merrell, Saloman, etc. They have all been fine. But since age 40 or so, I found I need to buy a good arch support insert like Superfeet. That added about $30-$40 to the cost. The Targhee II was the first that had a good enough arch support that I didn't need to buy the extra insert.

Now that I know the shoes work for me, I can always keep my eyes open for a sale, so I never pay full price.

I had to go up a size to get the right fit for me.
on April 11, 2013
Have been wearing these shoes from Keen for 8 years now and I can't believe how comfortable and long lasting they are.Ideal for people who need slightly wider fitting shoes.I get 2 years out of each pair and I walk on New Zealand Hiking tracks alot and default to wearing them on a daily basis.Great shoes.
on November 25, 2013
These are absolutely terrible boots that don’t last, the customer service rep even told me that the tarhegee II was not made for hiking. How is a hiking boot not made for hiking? the soles came off at just about every point on the shoe within 30 miles, and when I contacted them they made me go through all these hoops, they finally agreed to send a new pair of boots but a different model ( I cant recall which one). upon receiving the boots in the properly named box, I assumed it was the boot I was told I was going to receive. after hiking 30 miles in white mtn. national forest I contacted them again and told them my boots were falling apart. It turns out they sent me a less expensive boot from the ones I originally bought. they insisted that I send them pictures of the inside of the toungue to observe the tag. the funny thing was it was just a white square ( it was like this as soon as I bought it, but did not suspect any foul play would occur) with that and the fact that the boots were already destroyed, I sympathized with them that this in fact was the boots they sent me and this was the wear that had occurred. they then started to accuse me of lying to them and trying to scam them for a free pair of boots and really insulted me. I could not believe what I was hearing from them and the situation I was in. after that I vowed to them that I would make sure I would do what I can to make sure other thru hikers would not go through the same ordeal. I was very displeased with the whole experience.
44 comments|34 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 18, 2016
This is my third pair, always the same shoe, recommended by my podiatrist. I take out the liners and put in my orthotics. I have learned to buy expensive shoes because they are so much better for my feet and the shoe lasts a lot longer than cheaper shoes so in actuality there is not much difference in price. Very good shoe with a lot of good features; comfortable, water resistant, don't loosen up easily like cheap shoes, easy on and off without retying.
on March 6, 2015
The shoes look OK. My foot seems to fit in the shoe, lengthwise. Room for my foot according to the size. HOWEVER...the shoes are just not comfortable. The back heel of the shoe rubs up and down my heel. They feel "clunky" when I walk around. When I tried to tighten up the laces to see if I could get them to stay in place and not rub up and down my heel, they were just very tight and uncomfortable over the top of the foot. This will not do. This is my first pair of Keen shoes. I had always heard so many good things about them. Not impressed. It's just an annoying feeling to walk around in these. Like it puts me in a bad mood. I even know a member of the Keen family. Have not worn them for hiking yet. Thank God I haven't. I would be blistered horribly I'm sure. Leaving for the Appalachians at the end of the month. Hopefully I will be able to find a suitable pair before then. Most likely not Keen. Wow. Glad I found the right size as an Amazon Warehouse deal. But now, I see why they were returned originally. They are probably the poster from March 24's shoes. Haha. I agree with them. Have seen this quality of shoe at Target. Problem area in the photo.
review image
on November 10, 2013
I'm on my third pair of these shoes and would not hesitate to buy a fourth. They adjust quickly to your foot and your manner of walking. They grip the ground well. They look good from start to finish - somehow the uppers don't wear all that much. They remain comfortable for the life of the shoe.

I see people observing that the soles and heels, etc., wear out. Well, I do a lot of walking and I have kind of noticed that soles and heels wear out. But I am very hard on shoe heels and all the shoes I've ever owned have worn down excessively at the heels. It really is the way I walk.

The soles last much longer than the heels, for me, and don't wear overly fast. Frankly, if I didn't wear the heels out, I could have worn these shoes a *lot* longer.

But the parts of the shoe that don't touch the pavement stay in uniformly good shape. The uppers don't pull away from the lowers. The seams stay intact and don't seem to weaken or break out. They don't discolor much at all. They are easy to maintain and look good start to finish. I've never noticed any problem with getting them wet. They tie up easily and well. And on and on. And I always feel presentable when I'm wearing them.