Automotive Deals Summer Reading Shop Women's Clothing Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis STEM Segway miniPro

on January 9, 2007
I've had the DVD47 for 5 months, and overall it's a nice player. It will upconvert DVDs to 720p or 1080i so that the images look sharp on a HDTV. But I've noticed a few things that I don't like about the player.

The biggest problem is the FF and Rewind controls. You would think when rewinding a DVD, and then hitting play, it would resume playing from the point that is shown on the screen. Nope.

At 2x speed, it will be a couple seconds further back, no big deal. At 8x speed, you jump back 20 seconds further, so you have to either wait out the 20 seconds, or try to get closer using the 2x search. (and at 20x speed, you are so far off, you might as well advance a chapter to get close to where you want to be). Very tedious.

I wrote to Harman/Kardon, and their specialist (M. T.) said that you shouldn't expect to be exactly at the spot you want to when using FF or RW. I have a Harman/Kardon DVD25, and it has razor sharp controls. You can FF or RW at 16x, and hit play, and you are exactly where you want to be. So, as you may expect, this was not the answer I was expecting from a product specialist.

Another thing I noticed was that the DVD 47 has a tendency to switch to 1080i (even when setting it in the menus to use 780p).

If you change HD mode from 480p, 1080i, or 720p using the button on the remote, and are using HDMI cables, the sound cuts out. You then have to stop the DVD, and hit play again to resume sound.

I also notice that occasionally a DVD will show a bit of blockiness or the picture will freeze for 1 to 5 seconds. It doesn't do this very often, but I did notice it on the occasional DVD (even brand new DVDs, so it's not an issue of smudges or the like).

So if you can live with the flabby controls and a bit of bugginess then this is not a bad player. But I'm not too thrilled with the lower standards that Harman/Kardon is marching to with this product.
on February 23, 2007
This is my second unit. The first would randomly not output audio. The replacement does not suffer from this problem but other problems instead. It locks up when switching layers on a DL-DVD or even when switching chapters within a movie. You can hear the motor grinding away inside but nothing happens. The replacement has been to the shop twice now. The last time they replaced the drive assembly. Still not fixed. Now it goes back for good. There are a number of operational bugs as well. I don't see them getting fixed any time soon though.

I was expecting better from H/K. I have one of their reciever/amps that is brilliant.
on May 14, 2007
Bought this item to match the AVR645 receiver and use the HDMI feature. HDMI feature works fine, but the dang thing skipped or acted as if there were scratches in about 3 or 4 parts of a new release movie! Checked the DVD after, and no scratches whatsoever! I know my old JVC player would have never done this! Very disappointed. Several other DVD's and the same problem. Oh, and the fast fwd/rewind feature does not stop in the spot you would expect. WTH? I am calling regarding replacement tomorrow.
on March 23, 2007
This DVD player looks so great with my Harman Kardon receiver, hooked everything up and got the wires nice and tidy and put in my favorite DVD, all was so good and it played great. I went against my better judgement on this DVD player because of the Amazon Ratings it received and I purchased it to match a Harman Kardon Receiver I purchased. The DVD player played great for exaxctly 10 minutes and then it froze and then would get a disk error, I put in a brand new DVD and it played perfectly for 5 minutes and then just froze again. I tried to play 10 different DVD's and it froze on every single one of them. I should have paid close attention to the ratings before I made this purchase. It is just a pain to send defective stuff back and wait to get the new item. But life goes on!!
on May 23, 2007
If you want Harman Kardon receivers it's ok. Even most of the DVD's. I own a 22 and a 31 and I also got this one which is really annoying.

Issues:

- it does not save caption settings

- it does not save video settings; even after I set it up to be 16:9 1080i default it always reverted to 720p.

- after a period of time the DVD unit itself refused to read discs

I returned to HK, got a replacement and I'm testing it to see if there are any improvements, but... I think this is unacceptable for HK. After all I did not buy an 80$ Sony, and if I bought HK I bought it for the name which supposedley means quality.
on February 5, 2008
I purchased this DVD player to go with my H/K AVR 745 in my home theater room. I chose this DVD player because of its ability to play almost any multi-media file type and format, plus it looks great. I ran the DVD player through the AVR using HDMI, and from the AVR to an HD projector via HDMI. I love the flexibility of this DVD player. There are so many ways you can set this up. It has every imaginable connector. True audiophiles will love it. I found that the HDMI only output worked great for me. The sound is amazing. As for an upconverting DVD player I was less impressed. Image quality is just OK when upconverting. I eventually bought a Toshiba HD DVD player to replace this unit and was blown away by how much better it upconverts. I hooked up the DVD 47 to my 480p plasma TV in my family room through another H/K AVR and the picture was perfect. So this unit is best for 480p.
The downsides of this player are: It feels too light. Every time I push the eject button I push the player back. It makes it feel cheap and flimsy. The remote; I can do a frame-by-frame advance but not reverse. Reading files (i.e. pictures) from disc take forever. Hopefully the update disc I just ordered from H/K for free will fix that.
I recommend this player if you are going to hook it up to 480p TV. If you have an HD TV I would spend a few dollars more and get the Toshiba HD DVD player for it's upconverting abilities.

UPDATE: I downgraded to 3-stars for the following reason: I tried to update the firmware and it bricked the unit. I followed the instruction exactly and the unit would not turn back on. I contacted H/K support and they were excellent. I went through with them what happened, and once they determined it was not my fault they sent out a brand new DVD 48. All I had to pay was the return shipping on the DVD 47. I didn't mind paying the shipping since I was getting an upgrade for free. The DVD 48 is a HUGE improvement. Read my review on it. I am VERY happy with H/K support.
on January 26, 2007
I have a harmon kardon receiver (240) and paired the player with it through component video input and optical out. The sound from CDs and DVD-Audio (I don't have any SACD) is breathtaking - for DVD-A the optical out wont work so I use the analog surround - bass management is decent if you have a good subwoofer.

The player does ship with an HDMI cable however it is short - probably more for connection to a receiver. I bought a longer cable and also connect it to my 1080P LCD and upscale to 1080i - compared to my LG DVD which also upconverts to 1080i the image is much better with the HK - no problems with the FF or RW as in the other review. The unit matches the style and form of the HK receiver and even as a stand-alone unit it looks very stylish with its silver bezel.

I am not sure if its worth $300 but if you intend on using it with a good receiver / subwoofer and HDTV TV then you can expect great things from this player.
on January 31, 2007
I have had this player for a few months now. I am disappointed and dissatisfied with its performance. It has been replaced once.

The first unit skipped for no identifiable reason, even on disks which were fresh out of the package. For example, it would play a disk perfectly, and the next time it played it, it would skip, and then the next time it would skip somewhere else. It was completely random.

The replacement unit has skipped once on a new disk. However, the real problem with it is that it does not play some DVDs. So far, it will not play "An Inconvenient Truth," and "Chris Botti - Live," both of which played on the unit this one replaced. It also will not play the "Band of Brothers" series.
on April 7, 2007
I just got my DVD 47 after buying a flat screen TV, so i needed a player with HDMI upconverting capacity. I owned a DVD 22 and it was great, but I wanted better definition. The quality is just great, and movies now sound even better - which I was not truthfully expecting. I'm delighted with my system.

For the price,looks and specs I will def recommend it
on January 22, 2007
I've only had the unit a short time but so far am pleased with the video and audio quality. I have it connected to an HK-AVR340 which has no HDMI input. During initial setup of the player this created a bit of frustration for me as the player's factory default is HDMI and s-Video output. I ended up connecting it directly to a Samsung HDTV with HDMI and changed the default to Composite video output. Reconnected it to the receiver, and it worked like a champ.

Overall a good player, but like most other reviewers I found it on the pricey side compared with others on the market.