Automotive Deals Summer Reading Shop Women's Clothing Learn more Discover it Stephen Marley Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis STEM Water Sports

on September 2, 2006
I purchased this recorder based on Amazon's description. They claimed it had the capacity to play and record at the same time. It does not. I learned something - go to the manufacturer's web-site and check out their description before you order. For me, that feature was the main reason I chose this model so I returned it to Amazon and bought another model which did have that feature. Now - How was this recorder aside from that little glitch? GREAT !! True I only had it a couple of days before returning it - but trust me I gave it a good workout - looking for that elusive play/record feature. Don't let the REMANUFACTURED tag scare you - at least the recorder I received looked like it was brand new. It recorded a super picture and if you use RAM had lots of cool editing features. Be aware new DVD recording folks - if you use the -r or -rw media YOU MUST FINALIZE. This is not a mistake in the recorder - it is a function of the media. If you don't like that step then always use RAM media which does not require this step. The thing I really liked about this model is the ability to treat it very much like a VCR recorder. Movie is playing - you walk up and hit the record button - it records. No on screen decisions to make. When you want to play a dvd - your own recording or a commercial one - you put it in the recorder - close the door - it plays! One word of caution to all my techno not quite savvy boomers - READ THE INSTRUCTIONS when you set this thing up. A few minutes of education will keep you from being VERY frustrated later. The owners manual for this was very good - including diagrams on where the hookups go, etc.

After owning a recorder (and especially at the price of this one) I don't know why anyone would buy just a player. One last word about my Amazon return. This is the first time in MANY purchases from Amazon that I needed to return something, and though I HATE having to go through that stuff Amazon really handled it well. I printed out the return label, took it to the post office and when Amazon received it they credited my account. So don't be afraid to order!!
on January 5, 2007
I'm in a quandary about how I should rate this. I have given it one star simply because there is nothing lower. I received it in October, and it never did anything but give us a blank blue screen with random bits of audio floating in now and then. I emailed SamsungMall (the seller) repeatedly, hoping to get some customer support; no one answered. In November I rated the seller--it was a bad rating, with warnings to buyers that all was not right with SamsungMall.

This flaming did the trick, and I received two solicitous emails from customer support and the seller himself, who explained that their server had been down and so had lost their email. It seemed like a decent enough excuse; they were finally paying attention to me, offering a refund and a gift if I would just remove the bad rating and warning. So I did. I figured it wouldn't hurt to be kind.

I also received free return shipping, which I utilized within three days. The unit was packed even more carefully than when I received it, all the necessary paperwork was on and in it, and I handed it to our letter carrier, a gentleman I have known and trusted for years. HOWEVER... that was weeks ago, and I have neither received a refund nor acknowledgement of the return.

I am sick of this company's ineptitude. All I want is to get my money back and NEVER buy anything from SamsungMall EVER AGAIN!!!
on April 25, 2007
I love this thing, it works great, came fast, everything is just as I wanted.

Easy to set up, easy to use. ONE THING--the dvd's I recorded are only in one format, pay attention to this--it's in dvd-r mode. That means you can't play the recordings on any other machine that is dvd+r mode. I can't even view them on my computer. So unless you plan on only viewing your recordings on this particular machine and not on any other, and you don't plan on giving them to anyone else who may / may NOT have a player that plays dvd-r format recordings...be forewarned. I reckon they'll standardize the format eventually--like vhs - beta debate years ago. But for now, just be aware. Otherwise, I really really like this machine!!
on November 21, 2006
does not have a remote control so it is impossible to navigate thru a video

does not have an instruction book

does not have any cords to connect it to a tv

i owned a panasonic dvd ram recorder that worked great for a year and a half before i bought this one to replace it but when i got the samsung it would not play the dvd rams that i used to play on my panasonic unit.

needless to say i sent it back for a refund and i will not buy anything else from samsung.