Nokia 770 Internet Tablet PC
Price:$259.95 + Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on December 24, 2005
Purchased mine from Nokia for $360 (didn't mind the wait) less a coupon of $50. Outstanding value for the price. Coupla glitches though (I am a SysAdmin). Most important: If you are planning on using the Bluetooth connectivity to "dial out" through your Bluetooth-capable phone and a data cellular account, be prepared for considerable frustration. Read the boards. It simply does not want to "pair up" to other devices (in my case, a Sony Ericsson P910a smart phone with T-Mobile data service). As of today I have not been able to get it to pair with the P910a. My notebook pairs and can use the Internet through the P910a just fine. However, the P910a is a Bluetooth 1.1 specification. The Nokia is a Bluetooth 1.2 specification. That shouldn't matter, but others report problems with Motorola phones too. The second issue is an issue, not a problem. The OS is, of necessity, simplistic (after all, it isn't a notebook PC for $1,000!). It does everything it says it will do (exception noted above) but there isn't a bunch of flexibility. The browser (Opera) works fine (bit spooky with some stylesheet depiction, but so are other browsers). WiFi is FAST. Connectivity with WiFi is easy. Some other posts claim the WiFi is weak. Not so. It picks up my entire neighborhood and office park! My new HP WiFi notebook can't compare! Screen is bright and easily visible. External (non screen) browser controls are a great benefit. Battery lasts quite a while. E-mail function works well. There are enough tunable parameters to satisfy most e-mail users (corporate servers, etc.) I don't care about "entertainment" but there is a sample video film trailer which is smooth and clear, and the MP3 player works well. No camera - thank you Nokia - so it can be used in a corporate environment. First additional purchase needs to be a screen protector for this large screen. The screen keyboard is great and easy to use. It would get a solid 5 if it weren't for the Bluetooth problems.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
This is really a pretty cool device, kind of like having a portable internet connection, with the ability to browse the internet and make emails.

WHat is PARTICULARLY impressive is the relatively large screen size, amazingly large for an item that is meant to be small enough to stick in your pants pocket. The graphics are clear. You can listen to music, store files, check email and browse the web.

Specs are:

Wi-Fi and Bluetooth

* OS based on Debian Linux, Nokia has made all their changes open source as the "maemo" project

* 4" 800×480 touch-screen

* 64MB memory plus RS-MMC card slot

* Size: 141mm x 79mm x 19mm

* Weight: 230g

It is NOT a phone (yet) but it is set to be able to make calls pretty son using VOIP technology when a software upgrade comes out in 2006 and then it will also do IMS at that point - pretty cool! . Until then, you'll have to be satisfied with what it can do as far as searching the internet and listening to music. If yo like the "latest" thing, this should keep you entertained.

By the way, it is also hard to get. Sold out everywhere but that ought to change after the holidays. When VOIP and IMS become available for this device and if they are reliable, I'd upgrade my rating to a 5.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
If you're on the fence about buying the Nokia, here's a few things to come in mind.

First, the current OS is still a work-in-progress, but it's already developed a huge amount of geek interest and support. In midJune they just released the beta of the 2006 OS, and the actual release is expected in the next month or so.

Now here's the good news. People on the Nokia 770 bulletin boards have been absolutely raving about improvements they've noticed in the 2006 Beta. Adds VOIP support, Google talk, alarms for the Personal Information Manager, better interface, better package manager. (On the flip side, many of the apps for the 2005 version need to be respun--apparently no big deal though). Oddly, they had a fully functional microphone which they never enabled until the 2006 version of the OS.

On the software side, they've added a better contact app (which is still not great). The GPE open source application has undergone substantial improvements, and now that 2006 has alarms, that solves a major gripe people have had. FBReader is now the premier ebook reading program capable of reading PDB, HTML, RTF, TXT and FB2 files.

So before you buy, you might want to look up the improvements due to happen on the 770 real soon. And be pleasantly surprised. Now's a great time to buy the nokia, because the device is just about to hit its stride.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
I'm a bit of a geek, and have been waiting for a *good*, under US$500 "real" computer that fits easily in my pocket.

Nokia delivered.

The 770 oozes quality, with a solid but not too heavy feel. WiFi performance is excellent - it picks up more neighborhood networks than any desktop in my home, and connecting to mine (ahem) was simple and quick. Downloading is FAST.

Put an RS-MMC card (up to 1 GB; a 64 MB is included) in the slot and connect the 770 to your desktop via USB, and it acts as a disk for transferring media or office files. The removable battery is also a nice touch; my PDAs usually required factory assistance in case of rechargable battery failure.

The 800x480 display is simply gorgeous, and well-supported with the dedicated "Full Screen" and zoom / unzoom buttons on top (in audio apps, zoom / unzoom becomes volume control). A "normal" 3.5 mm headphone jack makes the unit suitable as an MP3 player as well (my Palm has a "small" 2 mm jack for which headphones are hard to find).

First charge took about 4 hours while using the WiFi heavily; unplugged, the battery gauge dropped to half in about 2 hours. With WiFi off (a single click), I haven't budged the battery gauge yet.

The included Opera-based browser works exceptionally well. Video, audio and Internet radio worked glitch-free out of the box, and the other included software has been stable and reasonably functional.

Since it's based on very popular standards (*geek speek alert*: Debian Linux and GTK+ aka Gnome graphics), a LOT of software is already available for the 770, including productivity apps, games, and 2 Personal Information Managers. Neither PIM holds a candle to Palm (yet), but both are in active development and free. DON'T buy the 770 if that's your primary use, though - if the screen is off, you won't get an audible alert for your meeting (I'm told this is a software rather than a hardware omission).

As with all Debian-based Linux's, installing or removing an app is trivial - two clicks, almost identical to installing or removing an extension in FireFox. And, of course, no reboot required.

A few other "1.0" artifacts keep it from 5 stars: The runtime memory is a bit low, allowing only 4 or 5 programs before a "Low Memory Event" tells you to close something (of course, my Palm can only run one program at a time, so maybe that's a feature). The stylus is flat rather than round, and can only be removed if the case cover is moved a few millimeters first (a small notch is needed here). And although the unit has a surprisingly good speaker, no provision is made for a microphone, built-in or external - an odd omission for a phone company product.

Those qualms aside, however, I'm generally very pleased with my new "Tablet PC in a Pocket". Now, any time I drop into Starbucks or another WiFi-ready location, I'm ready, too.
on November 17, 2006
I find it comical when I read reviews from people trashing the Nokia 770 because it's not a good PDA or a good music player or a good blah, blah, blah.

People - this is an INTERNET tablet. That is what is was designed to do the best. And it is awesome as a web browsing device. The reviewer Sunny who says that the browser constantly crashes must have a corrupt operating system or a hardware problem. I've had the device for almost a year now and it has been rock solid. I have only had the device freeze up once on me that entire time. The wireless connection is stronger than the two laptops that I have. And I love the beautiful display this device has.

By the way, I love the other options that Nokia threw on this device like the Video player and the audio player. While the video player doesn't match the latest version of Windows media player, it does the job. But, once again, if you want to use a device as a media player or as a PDA, you probably don't want the 770. But as a portable, internet web browsing device, there's nothing out there that is better.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on May 4, 2006
This device works very well. I had no trouble associating with my wi-fi at home or work. Downloading content and browsing is better than expected. Email and RSS feeds are easy to setup, download, and view.

You can only expect so much from a small screen but, for reading email, news clips and quick checks to Google, Wikipedia, or simple web browsing it has worked great for me.
on March 9, 2006
Nokia 770 was smaller than I thought it would be. The nicest part is that it found my wireless network just fine and the browser works. Downside is that performance is generally sluggish for a memory based device. Displays web pages nicely but not very quickly. Email app looks nice but also is sluggish and is missing some key functionality to really use it. Instant on is really instantaneous. I see this as a web browser to keep near the couch. Newsfeed feature is pretty good also. Some games are in progress from outside vendors but only buy this for an instant on browser. There is functionality to make it work with your bluetooth phone but I have not tried it. A faster processor and a little more memory (64mb vs 128 mb) would create a much better feel to the product.
on May 7, 2007
The 770 is easy to use and I was able to connect via bluetooth with my motorola phone easily. However, I did find that it does have web surfing limitations. It didn't work with several airline websites that I use and it also didn't work with several financial institution websites. Another issue for me was that you cannot stream video (news web sites for example) or music (sirius on-line). Because of these issues, I returned it because it couldn't perform the basic things I needed it to do. The new N800 seems to have resolved some of these issues and I will try that one instead.
on March 2, 2006
I really liked this one. Wifi setup is so easy. The device picked up the wifi signals around my house so well, better than my Sony Vaio VGN T140 P/L, unbelievable for such a small wifi device to beat a top rated Sony Vaio notebook on picking up weak wifi signals.. I tried several wifi USB adaptors and all of them are worse than Nokia 770's. Setup the WPA was so smoothly. I got on to yahoo, google, fidelity, etrade... no problem at all.

the only thing I don't like is the size of the words are too small to read when it is in full screen, but after I zoomed to 150%-200%, no problem for me to read at all.

I tried to change the homepage, but the device did not let me change it.

The battery life when I was surfing the web, was over 3 hours so far. Good. It is a better design than OQO at greater price.

In future, I would like to see a larger screen and higher memory and to support different languages other than english.

Couple of hundreds $ more, no problem. Nokia 770, I love you.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
Because of my work and my hobbies, I'm always trying to test new devices, specially the portable ones. I was following the Internet Tablet until it finally got available and could sold my Treo 650.

The OS is quite stable, but some pages make the browser crash and it shuts down.

Sometimes the wifi needs to be restarted because looses conectivity.

And finaly, there is too little software available and the rs-mmc is unnecesary small for not a quite small unit with the consecuences of only 1GB available for upgrade (I thing that 2GB has been released).

The good is the price, always on (you dont have to turn it off, just put it in the case), and the screen of course.

I almost forgot. The size of the system fonts is too large, and some applications like e-mail becomes a problem as you cannot see all the colums.

But for the price and having a great time at hotspots, it worth it.

Your Recently Viewed Items and Featured Recommendations