on December 20, 2006
It's worth looking for reviews on the *ist DL too, because it's the same camera. There are slight cosmetic differences, but nothing that affects the image quality, operation or accessories. It takes the same lenses. I've used the Pentax version and it is an excellent DSLR. It's one of the smallest available, which is very nice - especially if you use it with one of Pentax' pancake lenses, which are available at 21, 40 and 77mm focal lengths. With one of those mounted, it's scarcely bigger than a point&shoot. These cameras are much more comfortable to hold than the Canon Digital Rebel XT and XTi, which are other small-size SLRs.

If you're looking at this, you may also wish to look at Pentax' new 6 megapixel models, the K100D and K110D. The K110D is an upgrade to the *ist DL, while the K100D adds image stabilization. Both are pretty much the same body as the *ist DL and GX-1L, and the image processing has been improved in the opinion of many reviewers.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on June 5, 2009
I could not be more satisfied with this Samsung GX-1L and Schneider D-Xenon lens. Thanks Amazon and Buy Direct Closeout!

My first experience with SLRs was with the PENTAX Spotmatic and Kodachrome 64 in 1974. I still get a thrill from razor sharp colorful images but now I don't have to buy the prepaid mailers and wait a week for the slides to show up in the mailbox.

For me, having the latest technology takes a back seat to price and quality. This camera takes GREAT pictures and works with all my old K mount and screw mount lenses. Have you seen the asking prices on new lenses? Obscene! Take a look at my pictures using 40-year-old single focal length screw mount lenses on this Samsung body. Higher quality than any zoom!

I have a nifty Fuji S1000 for travel and people events. And now this GX-1L for scenic and studio. I have finally made the transition from film to digital. That is real picture progress!
review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on November 4, 2006
This is my first DSLR and my first SLR type camera. I love it! And am still learning about it.

The only frustrating thing is that it doesn't seem to have the ability to use the digital screen as a view finder. I am, however, enjoying actually using the regular view finder for a change.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on December 3, 2007
Dear Friends,

How can an SLR have a view screen view finder? When the reflex mirror is down no image can get to the detector. All the light is reflected off the mirror into the eye piece. Get it together before you write a review.

Good Day
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...

See 1 answered question