on November 5, 2006
It's cheap. And, you don't get what you pay for.

First of all, the component video inputs are defective. You can't use them with anything that has a standard output of 4:3 aspect ratio without losing the top and bottom of the image. I tried explaining this to Vivitek, but they wouldn't listen. Their tech support refused to test the problem out themselves because they didn't even have a set on which to test it, and their engineers assumed that I was doing something wrong and wouldn't budge.

I tried two different DVD players (using several different 4:3 DVDs) and a Playstation, all with the same bad results. I then went back to the store from which I bought the TV and performed the same experiment with the TV that was on display (same model, different TV), and I got the same results. I then connected the same equipment up to ANOTHER brand of TV, and it worked fine. Thus, I proved that it wasn't just MY TV, nor my equipment; the DESIGN of this set is actually flawed. The sales associate was flabbergasted and said "I don't even know how to approach this." The store in question may pull all of these units in the near future.

I also had problems with standard composite ("yellow") input in 4:3 aspect ratio where the picture was periodically "jumping" to the right side of the screen. In addition, the remote control was confusing and incredibly slow to respond.

Net result, this unit was more or less useless. I took it back and exchanged it for a Sony 32" Bravia instead. Granted, I paid a great deal more for the Sony, but the Sony has better black, the same number of inputs (HDMI instead of DVI), a swivel base, a better remote control, etc. Plus, most places will knock a couple hundred off the price if you ask nicely, so it's still competitive.

My advice? DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY ON THIS UNIT. Buy anything else instead!!
on November 21, 2006
I have Cable, DVD & Playstation hooked up to it and have not had any problems. Great picture and easy to use remote.
on March 4, 2011
Bought this TV 6 years ago and never had a problem. Image and sound is great. However I just replaced it with a 47 in LED, and took the old 32in LCD to my office waiting room.....Hopefully the LED will be as good to us as the old vivitek.
on February 6, 2007
this set has a lot going for it.

its very low-key black. no shiny silver. good. they're starting to listen to us ;)

its remote is pretty good. its input modes are button selectable (s-vid is one button and vga/dvi is another button). that makes macros and stateless IR blaster control VERY easy.

a minus is that there is no RGB control. you can't calibrate this screen by setting its white point this way. fortunately since its vga/dvi and asking to be driven by a computer, you can calibrate the LUT in the video card (monaco optix or 'spider' puck screen calibrator) and at least for non-overlays (stills and desktop) you can get a proper calibration. for movies, since they tend to run in a video overlay on your pc, are harder to calibrate this way.

a plus is that there is a 'memory' setting in the menu for last ac power on state. again, GOOD for remote macros since if you power on your stereo and have the tv plugged into it, the tv will turn on. on my 32" sceptre (the set this one is replacing) there was NO way to set a 'last state' on power-on. so, good for this one!

there is an annoying blue light at the bottom of the bezel. good news is, again, a menu setting to turn it off! yay.

it has no tuner. none to speak of - just ntsc (std def). but the selling point is that it has true dvi input that any old dvi video card can drive. no hdmi nonsense to stop you from using this as a pc monitor!

its getting more and more impossible to get dvi 'home tvs'. this may be the last of this breed ;( hdmi is how things go forward and that presents REAL problems for us pc users...

I am very happy with this set. oh, and it had no stuck pixels. bought it locally and carried it out. had it up and running later that nite. text on a dvi display is WONDERFUL. if you want dvi, this is your set.
on March 31, 2008
We have a Vivitek 56 inch projecter TV that we got 2 yrs ago. I've had to buy 2 replacement bulbs for it already! On the vivitek site they cost $400.00!! I found another reputable seller and paid $149.00. So, in the last 2 years we paid $2300.00 for the tv, and aprox $300.00 in replacement bulbs for far.........Vivitek is the brand that keeps costing you money. When we got this type of TV we realized we would have to replace the bulbs on occasion but was told that bulbs last 2-3 years of normal use. Such a lie. Also was told that replacement bulbs were "reasonably priced" Reasonable? $400 for a light bulb???
$149.00 for a LIGHT BULB????? Not what I call reasonable! I would NEVER buy a vivitek TV again. BUYER BEWARE OF ANY VIVITEK TV!!