Truck Month Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Eric Clapton Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick The Baby Store Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Cash Back Offer DrThorne DrThorne DrThorne  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $149.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Outdoor Recreation

on May 26, 2007
Rated 3 stars, because I have no idea how well it works. Only the right channel made any kind of sound using it with a Cingular 2125 made by HTC. I fault Sennheiser and Amazon for not doing some research and explaining the complicated inticracies of what makes a headset work with what instrument. There are 3.5mm and 2.5mm plugs and then there are 3 pole and 4 pole plugs, and there are converters from one to the other, etc. How is the consumer to know what works with what, unless the merchants and manufacturers provide that information? I called Cingular and they admit they know of NO manufacturer who makes a combination stereo headphone (an earplug unit that works came with the phone, but the plugs just dangle in your ears and can fall out whenever they want to) with the ability to answer phone calls on the same headset. Cingular would not offer to let me out of my 2 year contract so I could get for a phone that has this capability (i.e. ME buying the equipment that works for me). I wonder what incompatibility problems the Apple iPhone will have that we don't know about yet?
on April 21, 2007
COMPATIBILITY: I'm using these with a LG CU500. Although the Sennheiser Headset Selector application doesn't list them as compatible, someone told me they were. Well, not quite... the headphones work, but the call answer/end button does not.

I also have problems with the microphone--sometimes it's fine, and sometimes they can't hear a thing on the other end (I hear, "Hello? Hello? Hello?" and they hang up.) When I called my home voice mail so I could hear what I sounded like using the headset, there was an annoying backround noise on my message. I don't know whether to blame the headset or my phone/network.

COMFORT: Very comfortable when I'm just sitting, but I have to constantly re-adjust them when I'm walking. They slip, and every time I move my head the band bumps my collar and they get knocked out of place. This is my biggest issue, though it's more with the neckband style generally than the headphones themselves. The style also doesn't lend itself well to single-ear wearing, making them impractical as a hands-free set for driving.

SOUND: I'm pleasantly surprised. The sound is actually very good. Not super bassy, but in line with expectations. One big disappointment is that there is not a volume control built into the headset.

OVERALL: I already have an MP3 player and IEMs. But I don't always carry the MP3 player, and IEMs are TOO good at noise-blocking--you have to take them out every time someone speaks to you, and you can't hear the car that's about to run you down in the street. I figured the phone with regular headphones would be perfect for that use: I always have the phone with me, I could still hear with the headphones on, and they're easy-on/off.

I didn't entirely think this through. First it's a case of "be careful what you wish for." I can hear the traffic so well that it's hard to hear the music over it on a busy street. And "easy-on/off" has proven to be its own problem. Also, since the headphones don't fold or collapse at all, it's impractical to just keep them in my pocket for that "impromptu" listening I'd hoped for.

Most of my issues are specific to my use/expectations, so I still rate them pretty high. But if I had it to do over I think I would get regular headphones with an adapter (there's one available with a built-in mic). Then I would have the flexibility to use them with my MP3 player or phone. As it is these are more than I probably should have paid for a one-trick-pony that isn't completely compatible with my phone.
on February 18, 2009
It's nearly impossible to find a wired behind-the-neck stereo headset that is compatible with the iPhone/iPod Touch, as most cell phone headsets have a 2.5mm jack, while the iPhone/iPod Touch has a 3.5mm jack. Plus all the wired iPhone/iPod Touch-compatible headsets that are available currently are earbud style (which I hate).

Fortunately, there is an adapter that will allow this headset to work with the iPhone/iPod Touch (also available from Amazon, the Blackberry Stereo Headset Adaptor 3.5mm Male to 2.5mm Female (HDW-15306-002)). Just tested it out with my iPod Touch. Works flawlessly.
on December 21, 2006
...having used Sennheiser's headphones for years. My HD600 stereo headphones are the best I've ever encountered: absolutely amazing sound, especially when used with a headphone amp. They're so good, you start wondering, "Do I really need speakers?"

So when I phoned Sennheiser and asked them if they made a product which could be used both as a cellphone headset and for listening to music--and they recommended the MM30--I thought this would be an ideal companion on the long bus ride to work. I could use it not only for hands-free conversations, but also for listening to MP3 files on my photo viewer. (I have an Epson P-2000 Multimedia Storage Viewer, a handy device for digital camera aficionados; it combines a memory card reader, 40GB hard drive and a 4-inch LCD screen. Oh yes, it plays MP3s and videos also.)

And having read the description (here) of the MM30 headset, with its reference to stereo listening on a "mobile multimedia device", it sounded as if Sennheiser had come up with a clever "kill two birds with one stone" solution.

Wrong!

I assumed "mobile multimedia device" was some kind of techno-marketing-speak, and that the MM30 would work fine for stereo listening with any portable music gadget.

Wrong!

The MM30 can be used for listening to music only if you have a cellphone which also plays MP3 files (or some other form of digital music).

It CANNOT be used with an iPod or a Walkman. The size of the plug is different.

Why not get an adapter? As I just learned (speaking on the phone with Sennheiser...again), music-equipped cellphones have their own peculiar method of sending a stereo signal through the cable. A "standard" which is completely incompatible with portable CD players and MP3 players etc.

The MM30 is a decent and perfectly usable headset for your mobile phone. It's flimsy in its build quality, but that's not surprising for its price range. (My Sennheiser HD600 headphones cost about $300, vs. about $30 for the MM30.)

Others can hear my voice clearly when I use it. This despite the fact that the headset's microphone is so discreet, I have no idea where it is (and therefore can't adjust its placement, by which I mean the distance between microphone and mouth). Callers' voices are intelligible: not impressive clarity, but better than through my cellphone itself.

I'd give the MM30 four stars, if Sennheiser's product literature and sales staff would make it clear that it can be used only with mobile phones. But they blur the distinction, setting up customers to be disappointed when learn they can't plug the headset into their iPod.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 21, 2007
I have a Motorola E 815 phone and these headphones sound fantastic! I have purchased this style of headphones made by another manufacture and they were tight on my head, These can be worn until the cows come home, no problems.