Automotive Deals Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis STEM Water Sports

on May 7, 2006
I've only had the camera for a couple weeks, however it was pretty obvious from the first pictures I took, these are quality crisp photograps. I'm writing this review because I'm beginning to appreciate the reviews from other customers when I buy things. I was in the market for a new digital camera because the one I had accidentally went for a swim. I had a 3 MP kodak easyshare from 2002. I was generally satisfied, it took decent pictures, definitely easy to use. So, this time I thought I'd stick with kodak, just upgrade the MP and get a smaller camera. I bought the V603. To be fair, it's small, probably too small trying to work the buttons. Outside the pictures are pretty good, inside, two words, horrible, and useless. I called kodak, they walked me through changing around the settings as I tried to give them the benefit of the doubt, nope, still bad. It was unacceptable to me so I returned the camera, paid the restocking fee.

Anyway, after reviewing a bunch of different brands, sizes, etc, I purchased this one. Very, very satisfied. Particularly with the picture quality (after all that's the whole purpose of a camera anyway, right?) Better then expected. So far, pretty straight forward to use, I'll confess i've only kept it on automatic settings. I put my daughter on the swing, I was facing the sun and took some pictures to put it to the test. Awesome, they looked like perfect still pictures. My wife couldn't believe she was moving in the picture.

So, it's not a pocket/compact camera, or whatever you call it, although it's still fairly small. At this point, I wouldn't want to get a smaller camera and compromise the picture quality.
11 comment| 84 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 22, 2006
Many more features than other cameras in the same same category and price.

I have been seaching for a while & this camera met all my needs. Could not find any other camera in this category will all these great features at $350.

1.) High optical zoom 6x Optical- most others only 3x to 4x.

2.) High Megapixels at 6MP - most others are 4 to 5MP.

3.) Great (short) shutter lag response. Very little delay.

4.) Many shooting modes - Manual mode, Aperture Priority and Shutter Speed Priority, Widescreen Panorama, & others.

5.) Great in low light - ISO 800, faster shutter speeds

6.) Large LCD

7.) Very compact

8.) Easy to use. No hassel.

The combined 6MP resolution and 6 x optical with all other features is ahead of others.

I have used the camera thoroughly and its' performance lives up to my expecatations.

Going to be a very competative camera and top seller.

Nice job Canon. You have raised the bar.
0Comment| 103 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 5, 2006
I opened the box, put in the batteries and the memory card and took my first pictures. It was that easy. Then I started looking at the many, many features this camera has. I was blown away. The first time user can use it just by turning it on and pointing and shooting. The experienced user can set shutter speeds, f-stops, do panoramic pictures, and many, many more things. The battery life is amazing. I have used other digital cameras, but this is the best I've ever seen or used. The fact that it has 6 MP is just awesome. When I plugged the camera into my 32 inch TV, I saw no pixels at all. The 6x optical zoom is also wonderful. I attended a community event with lots of children, and I was able to zoom in on children clear across the park and still get good close-up photos. I am entirely satisfied with my purchase, and owe a lot of it to the reviews I read on Amazon.com.
on May 9, 2006
I received this camera for my birthday last week and I simply love it. It is very user friendly and easy to understand. The quality of pictures that this thing produces are just great. I will admit the the flash recycle time may take 2-3 seconds but its really nothing to get worked up about unless you take alot of pictures at night or really dark places. Me, I just snap pictures of my 2 year old son outdoors in the day and in the house under regular and dim lighting conditions and the pictures are always about 90% acceptable. Considering this is Not a $800+ dollar Digital SLR camera, this is a pretty good percentage in my opinion.
on June 29, 2006
I've had this camera for over 3 weeks, but have only used it for about half that time, as it's been in the shop for repair. I got it to use when I don't want to (or can't) use my big camera (a 20D), and I have enjoyed almost every aspect of it. I say "almost" because I can't recommend it, despite its great pictures, its ease of use, and its excellent controls.

Early Canon point-and-shoots had well-known problems with grit in the zoom lens, and this camera seems to revert to type. Maybe that's because Canon hasn't worked all the bugs out of the six-times optical zoom. Whatever the cause, the zoom lens started sticking about a week after I bought it, and I discovered that the lens seals had let some grit into the system. I sent the camera in for repair, only to learn that this flaw is not covered by warranty. I paid the rather large repair bill (and got very fast service). But I would not use this camera anywhere that the problem might recur. Canon needs to fix the seals, not disclaim responsibility.

Aside from this, I especially like the easy-to-use exposure compensation button, the flexible menus, and the fact that I can switch ISO so readily. Other than the lens seals, the camera is a gem. But those bad seals are a killer.
on April 13, 2006
I just received this camera today and I am excited. My first impression is that this is a very nice camera. The screen is big and bright, and the camera in general is fast (the flash may be slow as others say). The camera senses which way round it is when you take a shot, and rotates the image accordingly, which is cool. The camera is jacket pocketable rather than trouser pocketable, but smaller than I had feared and will suit me. AA batteries and SD card are both nice features for me - it took me about a minute from first opening the camera box, to getting that first shot (and that included 30 seconds to find the SD card from my old broken Casio).

I chose this camera after 4-6 hours of research taking in the main camera websites, and a quick peek at the related A620 (which I think it bigger than the A700). It was a toss up between the Canon A700, and the Canon SD700.

On the one hand, the SD700 is superdinky and megacute, and has image stabilization. On the other hand, the A700 is significantly cheaper, available now, and has 6x instead of 4x zoom. To be honest, I'm not sure when the image stabilization on our other camera (a Konica Minolta) is on, so I guess image stabilization isn't so important to me.
on June 22, 2006
This is a great camera with many options for users who want to upgrade an existing digital or replace an aging SLR (and keep features they love in the SLR). The screen is large and resolution is great. Photo outputs are fantastic, with very little noise (much better than the Sony this replaced). This assessment is made on a comparison of two identical images at the same resolution between the two cameras and images sent to Ofoto for processing. The price is fantastic for the options. Changing resolution settings between shots is quite easy, once you get used to the interface.

The only negative I found is the transfer of the image to a PC. I think it could be smoother. I prefer to use Windows Explorer for managing file locations. While that may be possible with this camera, I just have not spent the time to resolve the difficulties I've had with that. None the less, the transfers are quick.

I would highly recommend this camera and could not be any happier.
on July 30, 2006
I bought this camera so I that I wouldn't have to carry my Rebel XT everywhere with me.

I am very happy with the quality of the pictures. They still somehow do have the look of a cheaper digital camera. I'm not sure what exactly it is, slightly higher JPG compression, or just more noise. But I can immerdiately tell the difference between Rebel XT pictures and A700 pictures. I'm being a little picky though, overall the results are really good.

My major complaint is the flash recycle time. It's really horrific. About 5 seconds for me with rechargeable NiMH batteries. That's a long time if you want to catch a specific shot... It's a good thing I don't do much flash photography.

Yes, the noise does get pretty bad at 800, but it's still better than not having a picture at all. You can reduce the noise somewhat later with software.

This camera does clip highlights pretty bad. I find that annoying at times. Areas of light within a darker shot are completely washed out. This really shouldn't be the case in this generation camera.

I'm not sure what the people with the E18 error are talking about, this camera has not been on the market for a year, heck, barely 6 months...

I always use custom functions and usually shoot in Av mode with the highest quality and 80 or 100 ISO to get the best results possible. I love how this camera is nearly as flexible with options as an SLR.

To summarize, this is a very good camera. I would buy it again (unless something newer and better was available). If this camera had a shorter flash recycle time and didn't clip highlights as much as it does, I would have given it 5 stars.

4 Months Later:
I have used this camera quite a bit and it has travelled with me to a lot of places. Unfortunately the automatic lens shade got stuck and would not work anymore. I sent the camera to Canon and it was repaired under warranty and returned to me within a week. Great customer service. If I would do it all over again right now, I would probably get the Canon A700 IS or the A 640 which will all be released this October (2006).
on June 30, 2006
If you want more zoom than 3x (this one has 6x optical), if you want small size, if you want more than 5 megapixels (this one has 6), if you want a viewfinder, if you want good quality, this is the camera to buy! I have other VERY fine Nikon Digital SLR's but they weigh a TON. I travel a lot and want to take great pictures, this little gem fits the bill. As far as I can tell so far (I have had the camera just over a month) the only draw back is that it does not come with a rechargeable battery pack. (You can use rechargeable AA's) But given the other features, I will live with it! I am picky and I looked all over and this was the only camera that fit almost all my requirements.
on July 30, 2006
This camera is unique on its kind.
It has awesome features. Just to name a few:
-Very quick, I've used it with an 1GB SD Card and there is not slow response.
-Excellent combination: 6 Megapixels and 6X optical zoom
-640 x 480 video
-Easy to use shooting modes. vegetation, snow, fireworks...
-Histograms to check if the picture you took has well balanced light levels.
-2,5 inch screen

I recommend this camera, because it takes excellent pictures,
really good pictures, the auto mode of this camera really works,
there are other cameras that do not take pictures so good in auto mode.
review image review image