Automotive Holiday Deals Books Holiday Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon David Bowie egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Gifts Under $50 Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Gift Card Offer bf15 bf15 bf15 $30 Off Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Black Friday Deals Shop Now HTL

on February 20, 2007
I just got this iPod dock for my RX-V659. Popped it open. Plugged it in. And spent the next hour trying to figure out how to make it work! The instructions that come with it are really terse. All they say is to plug it in and put your iPod in it. Perhaps I'm the only on who struggled with this set up. . but in the event that there are others, I thought I'd give some additional instructons. Here are a few things you should know (that could save you an hour!).

1. You have to program your Yamaha receiver's remote with a code in order to control the iPod. Instructions for this operation are in the way-back of your receiver's owner's manual. Which has 3 separate sections on how to use an iPod. The first section for me was on p.24. The second somewhere around p. 100 and the third p. on 108. You need all three section to make it work!

2. After you program the code. . .here's the tricky part. .and I didn't see this in either the YDS-10 manual or the RX-V659 manual. . .here goes: The receiver's remote has a little switch on the right side that switches between "Amp", "Source" and "TV". If you just got your receiver, you may not even notice this switch. But here's the tricky part. The receiver won't control the iPod at all if this switch is in it's default position ("Amp"). You have to switch it to "Source". . and then low and behold. . .the amp says "Loading". . the iPod screen changes to a Yamaha logo. . .and you can see your song list on the TV screen!

The sound quality is top notch! Hope this helps someone else!
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 28, 2007
I recently purchased this & couldn't get the video to work on my television...I'm including an emailed response that I received from works great, but you need to set the Video Setting on your IPOD to ASK.

Note from Yamaha...

Please make sure you set up your remote to control the Ipod. Please see
your receiver's owners manual for the instructions. (Using the Ipod.) Insert the Ipod into the dock and turn it on so you can see the menu in the Ipod's screen. (The remote should control the Ipod at this point.)

****Under the video settings on your Ipod you will need to set the TV out to on or ask. (If plan to view videos on the Ipod and via the receiver we recommend you set it to ask.) Navigate to the desired video
clip and play it. It should now display the video on your TV.***

When you are done watching videos and want to listen to music just press the display button on the Yamaha remote control and it will load the menu onto your TV

If you have any more questions please contact are toll free customer service line for assistance. 1(800)292-2982 Hours: Monday Thru Friday 8 AM to 4 PM pacific time.
on June 15, 2007
I've had about 6 months to try out the YDS-10 and mostly it's OK. There are a few nagging problems though.

- Sound is good (enough for me!)
- Song titles, album and artist are (mostly) displayed on screen
- Song timer showing duration and current position within song

- Setup was a pain. See notes in other posts about setting switch on remote from "AMP" to "SOURCE" which wasn't documented anywhere in the manual.
- Primitive user interface, ugly font and limited screen real estate for album and artist info. Album and artist info are cut off and don't scroll if they don't fit the allotted space. However, song titles will scroll if they are too big.
- Doesn't charge Ipod as fast as I would like. Also doesn't charge Ipod at all when Yamaha receiver unit is in "standby" (off) mode. Receiver must be left on to charge Ipod. This was a real letdown as I had previously been using a Marware Ipod dock for connection to my home stereo system which always charged the Ipod quickly even when turned off (but didn't have on screen display of course).
- Would have been nice to have album art, or music visualization (synchronized "screen saver") display options instead of just track info and timer.
- To display video from the Ipod on your TV, I've found you cannot use the remote functions, but you must stand up, walk across the room and select video and start video directly from the Ipod, which is another undocumented "feature".

I may eventually invest in one of the other (more expensive) on-screen-display Ipod docks that I think have most of these neglected features. Until then, this is a functional, but flawed solution.
on December 7, 2006
If you own a Yamaha receive that can accept this dock, I would highly recommend it. To be able to control my iPod with my remote on my 46" Sony LCD is like a dream come true. Just plug it into the receiver and follow the simple steps in the manual and there it is. It also recharges the iPod. I don't own a video iPod, but you can even play back video through this dock! An amazing little addition!
on December 4, 2007
This is a nice, inexpensive addition to your home A/V system if you own an iPod. Being able to instantly access the 1000's of songs on your iPod and having them playback on REAL speakers instead of those portable speaker systems is awesome.

I have a Touch and everything works as advertised, except you apparently can't play back video from your iPod to your TV like you can with earlier generation iPods. But I knew that going in, and I bought this just for the music aspect.

Once you know the few key points required to get this going (programming VAUX code for iPod, switching remote switch to SOURCE to control iPod), everything is easy.

I have the RX-V659 and the Music Enhancer feature makes the music sound fuller, which is a nice option.

All in all a great little product. The only reason for not getting 5 stars are nits: Display font on OSD is pretty primitive, continuing to press a directional button and having the menus scroll faster would be nice, and full support including video out for the newer units like iPhone and Touch would be the only things I can think of that could be improved. Highly recommended product and well worth the current selling price!
on February 18, 2007
There is not a lot to this device. Simply plug the wire that comes with it into your yamaha amplifier and receiver and away you go. The ipod gets charged, and on my receiver I can even select the song to play via the on-screen GUI on the TV.
on December 24, 2007
The YDS-10 works very well, It has two ways to work, both with the Yamaha remote control. In the first one, the remote control works directly with the ipod without TV menu. In this option you can see the ipod videos in the TV.
In the second one, you have to press the DISPLAY button in the remote control and you enjoy the TV navigation menu, similar to see the ipod in the TV screen. It allow you to control de ipod with the same remote control and from your seat. In this case there is not option to see video in TV.

I have an RX-V861, in this receiver Yamaha share the iPOD port with the AUX (in front) port, it is a very good option, because I can exchange iPOD or a Video camera in the same selection point without problem. The iPod has precedence, then you need to unplug the ipod in order to use the AUX port. It is a good option to has six video devices connected to five input options in this receiver.
on March 27, 2007
If you have an ipod and a compatible receiver this is a must have at a great price. The retail shops are selling this for about $100. It is easy to control and the video quality is awesome. The only reason i did not give it 5 starts is because you cannot control the entire ipod items from the remote. Only the music menu is present. If you want to watch a video you will have to choose the video on unit and make sure TV out is selected.
on January 21, 2008
I got this dock for a couple of reasons: One, so I could lie in bed and use the remote control to scroll through music, and two, so that I could watch TV shows and/or movies from my iPod on my LCD monitor in my bedroom (which is where my RX-V559 receiver is hooked up). For music, it is perfect. I can be as lazy as I want, lying in bed reading and changing songs via remote. You have to use your owners manual for the receiver to set it up, but it's not difficult. Some other reviewers go into more detail on how to do it. The interface on-screen is primitive (it looks like MS-DOS!) but it gets the job done. After fiddling around with my video settings and changing it to "TV on," I can watch TV shows through my iPod, although unfortunately, I have to get up and select the video using the iPod wheel and cannot access it via remote control. This curtails my absolute desire for laziness and therefore caused me to remove 1 star. Otherwise, this thing is very nice, it charges while it's docked and the sound and video quality are exceptional.
on January 8, 2008
I am actually using this Yamaha / IPOD dock with my iPhone and
it works perfectly. Even though nowhere does it say that it
actually works with the iPhone, it does.
I am able to watch the latest and greatest YouTube! videos,
my personal videos, look at photos and play any music loaded
on my iPhone without a problem. I also like the fact that
my phone is charging while in the base.
Great product and fairly easy to set up.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse