Most helpful critical review
17 of 19 people found the following review helpful
Functional but flawed
on June 15, 2007
I've had about 6 months to try out the YDS-10 and mostly it's OK. There are a few nagging problems though.
- Sound is good (enough for me!)
- Song titles, album and artist are (mostly) displayed on screen
- Song timer showing duration and current position within song
- Setup was a pain. See notes in other posts about setting switch on remote from "AMP" to "SOURCE" which wasn't documented anywhere in the manual.
- Primitive user interface, ugly font and limited screen real estate for album and artist info. Album and artist info are cut off and don't scroll if they don't fit the allotted space. However, song titles will scroll if they are too big.
- Doesn't charge Ipod as fast as I would like. Also doesn't charge Ipod at all when Yamaha receiver unit is in "standby" (off) mode. Receiver must be left on to charge Ipod. This was a real letdown as I had previously been using a Marware Ipod dock for connection to my home stereo system which always charged the Ipod quickly even when turned off (but didn't have on screen display of course).
- Would have been nice to have album art, or music visualization (synchronized "screen saver") display options instead of just track info and timer.
- To display video from the Ipod on your TV, I've found you cannot use the remote functions, but you must stand up, walk across the room and select video and start video directly from the Ipod, which is another undocumented "feature".
I may eventually invest in one of the other (more expensive) on-screen-display Ipod docks that I think have most of these neglected features. Until then, this is a functional, but flawed solution.