on August 29, 2006
I have had this TV for the last 2 months and it has been fantastic. Sure you could get the 1080P model instead, which I will admit does have better picture but you'd end up paying at least $500 more for it. Given the ever dropping prices of these kinds of TV's I'd rather save that money and use it in a few years to upgrade when I have the room for something bigger and better.

I had extensively compared this model to the Toshiba 50HM66 and in stores I will say the Toshiba did look a bit better. Don't let yourself be fooled though, for some reason Toshiba always seems to do the best job of making their TV's look good right out of the box while Samsungs require some adjustments to get the best picture. Once you do all of this they will look very similar in regards to picture quality.

In regards to the previous poster I will assume that he doesn't have the TV nor has done any research on it. This TV most definetly has a VGA input (although the competing Toshiba doesn't). Also you have been missinformed in regards to using HDMI to connect a computer. I have had a high end media center pc connected to my Samsung HL-S5086W using a DVI to HDMI cable and the picture is outstanding. Pretty much any computer with DVI out on the video card can be connected to this TV using a DVI to HDMI cable which can be picked up for ten dollars online, no other equipment needed.

Overall I am very happy with this purchase and would completly recommend this TV to anyone on the market for an HDTV on a budget.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on September 21, 2006
Verified Purchase
I've had this TV for about 3 weeks now and have been extremely happy with it. Let me say first that if you have any reservations about ordering a big-ticket item from Amazon you should put them aside. The delivery service was very informative about my order and it was delivered on time (I live in the Chicagoland area). The TV was gently unpacked and placed unto the stand I had already purchased (it's the stand specifically for this TV). The only thing was they left the huge TV box so you have the responsibility to trash it. Not a problem.

Now the TV: The first thing you will notice is that it takes a good 30 seconds for the TV to warm up. Don't be alarmed. This actually caught me off guard the first few times I turned it on. The colors from HD are awesome. So much so that I actually thought they were almost too "bright" so I tweaked the settings to get it just right. Analog channels look OK, but HD is where this TV shines the most. I've watched a few DVDs (Kill Bill and Star Wars III: Return of the Sith) and am impressed with the quality of the picture. I can only imagine how HD DVD will look (although you have to remember that HD DVD natively will be at 1080p so my TV may not be as "sharp" at 720p, but to me there is a point of diminishing returns....)

Audio is a little weak as others have stated and that is the reason why I didn't give the review 5 stars. I haven't hooked it up to my stereo system yet, but, to be honest, I'm not really watching TV for 5.1 sound anyway. Of course, I probably will change my mind once I do connect it.

Overall, I'm extremely happy at the price of the TV (no taxes or delivery too),responsiveness of the delivery service, and the TV itself. I'll admit I was a bit hesitant to buy such an "expensive" item on Amazon, but the experience has left me very satisfied.
on August 18, 2006
Verified Purchase
Granted, I was upgrading from a thirteen year old Sony Trinitron, but still. When we went shopping for TV's, the picture on the Samsung DLP was way superior to the LCD's and almost as good as plasma -- you could see the difference right away in the show room. The picture on the high def channels is AMAZING. It's hard to get used to the way some high def programs broadcast with the black border around the picture -- and though you can choose to stretch the piture to full screen, the picture quality isn't nearly as good. We have about 10 high def channels; I can't wait for more to be added. Watching a movie is awesome! Ordinary channels are fine, certainly better than what I was accustomed to watching.

I also bought the Sony one disc high def DVD player -- you can't watch high def on an ordinary player. I think that it's a bit misleading -- most people would think you could go home, plug in your TV, and voila! All high def channels! You need to do some serious research before you decide what to buy. For example, I looked at the 1080 model (instead of the 720 I bought) and decided it would be too long for me to actually get much benefit from that type of resolution.

Amazon first quoted a month window for the TV to arrive; it came in two weeks, so that was a wonderful surprise. The TV is lightweight, and hooking it up wasn't complicated. Also the price offered here with free shipping is way below Circuit City's price.

One minor drawback -- I wish I could find a universal remote that actually could do ALL the functions for each attached device. For example, the cable universal with my DVR controls is great except that I can't access the TV menu -- meaning I can't change the color, sound, size of picture, etc, without using the TV remote. It took forever (and my spending hours trying every TV remote code in the world) before someone finally said that a weakness of TV remotes is that they can power up and down, change channel and volume, but not much more than that.
on October 13, 2006
I've been watching and waiting for over 6 months before buying. I was certain I was going to get the Samsung DLP HDTV but which model I was unsure. After reading review after review I knew I wanted the option to turn off the DNIe feature. The HLS-5086w allows the option to turn it off if wanted and so I just recently purchased this TV.
I can't begin to say how much I'm pleasantly surprised by the incredible image and I'm only watching digital cable signals, not HD signals. I can't get the HD signal for a few days and will update this review at that time. This set is user friendly and offers all sorts of fine tuning to get the color exactly as you want it. I was under the mistaken belief that non HD programs would be grainy. Nothing could be further from the truth. Watching basic digital is a new exerience in clarity, picture 'pop', and general WOW factor. When I get the HD signal I know I'll be even more delighted with this set.
This is by far the most bang for the buck HDTV available, in my opinion, and I've been researching for more than six months.
To any that are considering purchasing a HD set, look no further than Samsung DLP. It is THE set to buy. I'm extremely happy with my purchase and the total exerience with Amazon.
Edit: I now have the HD signal and I can't say enough about this set. The picture is amazing. HD programs are incredible. I've given this set a 5 star rating and if possible I'd go higher. I'm extremely happy with my Samsung DLP TV.
on January 19, 2007
I've had the Samsung HL-S5086W 50" DLP HDTV for a little over two weeks now and have to say it amazing. I have Satelite TV (Not HD) hooked up via S-Video and a Xbox 360 hooked up component. The Xbox looks amazing on this tv even the DVD's. I also purchased a Samsung Home Theater with the upscaling processor to 1080i,1080p or 720p option. I have yet to recieve the home theater yet, but it hooks up HDMI and I look forward to it.
I did alot of research before I made this purchase. It was hard for me to purchase a 720p tv when I knew there was better technology available. It was a review on HD that I read on either CNet or in my Xbox magazine that helped me choose. In the review they said that these satelite/cable companies just spent billions of dollars to put these 1080i/720p systems in place....its hard to imagine that we'll see them forking out another billion anytime soon to replace those systems with 1080p. Also, they commented on the size of the TV. How you would need something 55" or bigger to notice a real advancement in the resolution of a 1080p or sit less than 5 feet from the TV. Neither of these categories fit me.
To make a long review shorter....I decided that by the time the technology peaks (temporarily...we know how that is) I will be in the market for a much larger....much higher res (possible 1260p) by then.
My two cents.....

Edit:
I recently purchased the HD Drive for my 360 and wow. I've also hooked up the 360 to my Samsung via VGA and it's definately a better connection. I had to do very little fine tuning of the settings to get the picture I desired.

Edit #2: 1/18/2008

I now have a Toshiba A3 hooked up to this TV via HDMI. Nothing compares to HDMI. The picture is outstanding.
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on August 28, 2006
Verified Purchase
This is my first venture into HDTV, and this Samsung unit is very impressive. Picture quality, even using component video cables (I'm waiting for my HDMI cables to arrive) and watching a non-HD channel is good. Go to an HD channel, or use an S-Video cable from a DVD player, and only the most picky videophile can't help but be impressed. The onboard sound system is adequate for everyday viewing, but most people will want to hook up a more robust sound system for watching movies. What really makes this a "slam dunk" buy is the price. This is an outstanding value at Amazon's current price and shipping charge (nothing). The only "negative" was the delivery itself. The TV arrived in good shape but the shipping and delivery agents had to be prodded a bit to do their jobs. This may very well be a problem specific to where I live. Amazon's customer service was very responsive. I've ordered a bunch of stuff recently and they are the most efficient and reliable online retailer I've dealt with.
on September 27, 2006
Verified Purchase
As someone who has never purchased anything this expensive off of amazon, I was a bit skeptical, especially when I read some of the reviews of others about their issues w/ the tv not being in perfect shape etc.

I have had nothing but good experiences with this TV in the first 2 weeks that I've had it.

Xbox 360 HD games look INCREDIBLE on it. Madden, The Godfather, Oblivion etc.. Amazing.

HD sports is an amazing experience as well.

I highly recommend this tv to anyone.
on November 16, 2006
I purchased this TV reluctantly because it uses DLP technology. However I couldn't resist because of the size, features, and price. I am now so thankful that I did. This TV rivals LCDs and plasmas for picture quality. I've hooked it up to my HD digital cable service and my XBOX360 and it looks absolutely stunning. Add a decent speaker system and you have an unreal home theater.
on October 8, 2006
I cannot tell you how elated we are to have this television. We had just moved into our new home so my wife and I decided we would like to have a larger television for our new den. I did ALOT of research on the subject while we were trying to attempt a decision.

At first I had pretty much decided we were going to get a 42" plasma tv, but after looking at the pictures and comparing prices, the DLP was the way to go for us. (I will tell ya, I'm no big techno-geek, so price was a huge factor over the small differences in picture quality) I had shopped all of the main electronics stores and Sam's, but the most cost effective purchase was through Amazon. (We saved almost $500 over the local stores, including the purchase of the stand)While looking at BB, my wife actually decided we could go with the larger screen, and who was I to argue? I was extremely skeptical about ordering such a large electronics item over the internet, but all the reviews were very positive...and we were able to get FREE shipping the weekend we ordered, which saved us an additional $100!! (Can you tell price was a key factor?)

Anyway, after ordering, we were told our new DLP television would arrive in approx. three weeks. It was delivered about two weeks early, just in time for the first Thursday night NFL Football game! WOO HOO!

Now after having the television for about a month and a half, I feel we made a great decision. The television is outstanding. The HD channels are AWESOME, especially the FOOTBALL games! My wife has even sat and watched a game or two just because of the clarity...that in itself is close to a miracle.
on June 22, 2006
Verified Purchase
Loved the TV and Amazon did an awsome job with delivery service. Very fast and easy set up. Not sure about the other reviewer however I hooked my Xbox 360 up to the TV using component input and it worked great. Just a beautiful picture. Watched the Incredibles, Walk the Line, and The Ringer the very first day we had it and the picture was just amazing. We had looked a few other TVs in about 8 stores when we came across the Samsung DLP tv series AND boy are they great.

A+ to Amazon using Eagle shipping. They had it here 3 days after I ordered the TV. 3 Business days ahead of schedual.

See 1 answered question