Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it A. Sinclair Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Father's Day Gifts The Baby Store Shop now Amazon Cash Back Offer LoveandFriendship LoveandFriendship LoveandFriendship  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $149.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Outdoor Recreation SnS

on July 13, 2006
This phone has nice 2-line features but we have tried two of them in our home office and both have suffered from poor out-going sound quality.

Overall the features of this phone are very good for a home office and if GE would fix the sound issue, we would be happy to have one.

Pros:
2 independant voice mail boxes.
Can retreive VM from the handset or base.
Displays external voicemail from our phone service.
Base and handset speaker phone.
Expandable.

Cons:
Sound quality is poor (clients were complaining that our voices sounded scratchy and far away).
Poor selection of ringers.
Silly melody ringers not appropriate for a office.
on October 8, 2007
Junk. We bought the base and two handsets in 02/07, and in 10/07 the base unit just suddenly stopped transmitting to the handsets. Warranty is to send back to Texas for service. Nice - no phones for weeks on end? It was fortunate we hadn't thrown out the old ones. Sound quality is poor, transmission between base and handset is poor, and the date keeps reverting back to 2005 (the default). When it reverts back to 2005, the messages are recorded as being on the wrong date. It's also hard to see the display unless it's lit. There are a lot of good features, and the answering section seems to work fine (except for the date), so it's a shame these are such poor quality.

If and when we get them fixed, I don't know that they will really be fixed. For the money ($190.00), there's got to be better products available than worthless General Electric waste-of-space stuff like this.

Update 10/05/09. My opinion just went lower. Today all the handsets quit working just like before. Had to use old AT&T phones instead. Looking for new phones instead of trying to get these warranty serviced, and they won't be General Electric phones. Ever again.
on July 21, 2007
PROS
Inexpensive. Fairly good range.

CONS
Unusable due to extremely low incoming volume. Phonebook interface poorly designed. Non-existent tech support.

The headset volume on this phone is so low the phone is unusable unless there is absolutely not background noise, and then it's still hard to hear the caller's voice.

And when the background volume increases, the incoming volume seems to *decrease*. It's marginally usable with a headset attached.

Other con is that, while you can share phonebook entries you can only transfer one entry at a time, which is useless, taking 20 seconds and many button presses per transfer.

Tech support is *literally* non-existent. I called the tech support number and got a *recorded message* that if my unit was defective, I should mail my unit to such and such address. And when I dont' get the unit back in 2 months? What do do then?

Unfortunately, it took me a while to get around to testing the sound issue objectively (by calling the unit w/ my cell phone and putting my mp3 player on the cell phone then listening on this phone and on several others.

By the time I test it this way and determined, "yes, I'm not crazy. It's unbelievably low volume." it was too late to return it. That's when I discovered the non-existent tech support.
on July 3, 2008
While this may be an inexpensive, 2-line, phone system with lots of functions...it is not worth a dime. I ordered this with 3 additional handsets. I had to return one handset from the moment I opened it as it did not function at all. Thank goodness for Amazon's friendly and easy return/exchange policy. The interference is ridiculous and you cannot hear unless there is absolutely no back ground noise (not even the sound of my computer processor) and even then, it is quite difficult. The volume was adjusted and up as far as it would go and every call is still incredibly difficult to hear. It should be noted that I have no hearing difficulties what-so-ever. The LCD display on 2 of the 4 handsets was illegible after only 2 months of use. You cannot use any of the handsets or any other features for that matter, if someone is listening to messages or using features on any of the other handsets - base included. Needless to say, I have just purchased a Panasonic system to replace this one after only 4 months of use.
on November 3, 2007
I purchased this phone to replace a 2.4GHz Panasonic 2 line phone. I needed another handset and the older Panasonic was too high. I thought the 5.8 GHz would have better range. I was planning on using a second handset and charger in another building about 100 yards from the house to give me intercom service to the house and a phone out there. The GE starts to get a little choppy at the building and loses signal as soon as I enter. The Panasonic 2.4GHz with it's 2 antenna base has slightly better range than the 5.8GHz GE which has no external antenna on the base. Although the sound is good on the GE, my Panasonic has better sound and has speakerphone on the handset. I wish for my situation I had purchased a Panasonic 5.8GHz phone. For most people this would not be an issue. The only other problem I have with the phone is it takes 4 AA batteries. I haven't put them in yet and it keeps resetting the time.
on July 10, 2012
I've used these GE Phone's for several years and have nothing but good things to say about them. You do have to change out the battery in the handset ever few years, but that's not a big issue. You can buy the batteries on EBAY or at Radio Shack. I replaced all my VTECH phones and threw them out. They were awful. I'd like to have one more Base Unit for my GE Phones, but haven't been able to find them. Are there other GE Base units that are compatible with the GE Cordless 5.8 GHz Digital #25865GE3 Phone with 2 lines, Speakerphone and Digital Answering System. Please respond to Dolorasjo@aol.com. I had one unit that the volume was a bit low, but all I did was turn up the volume and everything was fine.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 3, 2011
These were bought for my office and I'm sad to have to replace them after 6 months. First, other reviews are correct, the sound quality is horrible. Many times I can barely hear the person on the phone. Second, I've had to replace the battery already once. It's cheaper to buy a new phone than to continously purchase rechargeable batteries every month. Not happy with this product.
on April 4, 2011
It says GE..it's not! they take NO responsibility! the Warranty's a farce! Supposedly a company named Thomson Inc makes and 'services' the product, and you'll be given the complete run around..until it's conveniently out of warranty..mine worked for 3 months tops! Complete waste of $$$, inc# 1 800 448 0329 offers tech support!! doesn't come close! check complaints against this company..stay away!
on February 8, 2011
I purchased this phone set for work, thinking that inexpensive replacement phones would ease the pain of things being spilled on them or dropped. The sound quality has been poor since day one, the base constantly drops calls, and now there seems to be some sort of short circuit in the base--we can no longer use the AC adapter with the base or it turns off completely. When I purchased this set, I never imagined I would be running my business telephones off of 4 AA batteries.

Other complaints: you can't put line 1 on hold and answer line 2 with the same handset without a "conference call" beginning. The incoming call volume is incredibly low and it is often difficult to hear my customers (it was so bad I had my hearing tested because I thought something was wrong with me. Yes, I'm blonde, but this proves to me it's the phones!).

I will never buy another GE phone again. Period.
on September 15, 2009
We bought this 2 line phone base used & the display on the phone is a little hard to read, but we also bought 2 new handsets to go with it & they all work fine. Love the fact that the additional handsets don't need the phone line, can be plugged into power anywhere & work. You can also save the stored phone numbers to the base or the accessory handet.

See 1 answered question