Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc CaseLangVeirs Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro

on July 25, 2007
Let me start by saying that Proteus X2 can only be used with the E-MU midi controllers... so buyer beware!!

This software is incredible!!! It turns the E-MU midi controller into a custom keyboard with more sounds then you could ever imagine. In addition to the 4 discs worth of sounds/drum patterns that came with this program, I purchased the E-MU xBoard25 which came with an additional 3 discs worth of sounds (Protean Drums, Mo Phatt, and World sounds) all out of the ESC soundsets. The proteus program in itself allows you to manipulate any of the included sounds to however you desire and provides you with limitless possibilities while creating music. I am using this program in tandem with Sonar 3 producer edition and after a little bit of work with the plug in's it was up and running without any problems. The Sound quality of the samples/sounds included are top rate as well.... Overall.. I Would highly recommend this software to anyone looking for a good sound bank!!
on June 23, 2012
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

what a difference, in this new world of software sounds, hardware
is starting to get more wise. I have this E-MU Proteus X2 for 3 years
now, and I have pretty much gathered up the other libraies, and still
purchasing from digital sound factory, even more stuff.

Let me say, it does the job well, in its capacity.

There are now more software synths out there, with even better
quality; however, it goes with its price as well.

I remember the Modern Symphony Orchestra selling for $399.00

There is a few companies doing the same thing, only $499.00 and
going to $1000.00 just for the expanded upgrade.

One day I will too do this; however, with the Proteus X2 you can
shape each sound to get it perfect for the moment of inflection
to last you forever.

EMU !!!!!

CREATIVE, it has been fun.

-Later
on January 19, 2010
Update 1/2011. I've had this product for a year now, and I bumped my review from 3 stars to 4. (Until recently, Amazon didn't let you change the # of stars. I'm glad they changed.) I've improved my rating because despite this product's imperfections, it's a good midi interface, and the Proteus sound banks are fun to play with. The remainder of the review is my original text.

I had a similar experience as Manko Eponymous when I tried to install ProteusX2 software on my new Dell laptop running Windows 7 Home Premium Edition. I spent an hour installing it, then it didn't run. I couldn't get it to run no matter what permissions I tried. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the software, and it still wouldn't run.

Then I remembered that I had already installed the free version of the Proteus software, Proteus VX. Proteus VX is a great free soft synth on its own, but I found out after Proteus X2 that I paid for wouldn't run, Proteus VX could open up all of the soundbanks that came with X2. Proteus VX has a couple cripped features, including the lack of ability to stream samples from disc, but nothing I can't live with. The St. Thomas Strings soundbank sounds beautiful. The free VX version has a particular advantage over the X2 version in that the VX version will run over any working midi interface and with your computer's built-in soundcard. The paid X2 version requires either a hardware EMU soundcard or an Emu keyboard controller or Emu midi interface.

Now, about the Xmidi 2x2 midi interface: I could only get one input of it to work. The lights show it is receiving midi from both "IN" ports, but the code is not being received by the software.

Because of the quantity of good sounds, I can't say that for under a C-note that this is a bad deal, but if you don't need a new midi-interface, I suggest that you spend an additional 40-50 dollars and get Korg's Legacy Collection Digital Edition.
on November 13, 2008
Concur with previous reviewer. Wonderful soft-synth to use with Cakewalk products. Expandable with ESC (Emu Sound Central) instrument collections. Saves a ton of space in my small home studio.
on January 18, 2010
Installation took about an hour, and then I spent another two hours or so trying to get it to do ANYTHING on my brand new Windows 7 Dell. No luck whatsoever - it kept misidentifying me as a Windows NT user, and insisting that I needed Administrative privileges (which I have and was using). The company website's tech support pages evidently aren't being maintained; I gather EMU isn't a very high priority for Creative, and neither is quality control (which I already knew from the fact that my brand new "I paid extra for this" Creative sound card that came with my brand new Dell is effectively useless).
on March 9, 2010
Thought I could use this to play a lot of instruments at once, and since the software is not too new I thought my spare PC could handle it, but it requires more processing power. It can't be installed on a new PC because it is not supported by Vista or Win7. I'm using software instruments in Protools... RTAS enabled... what a difference! Well also the price tag is different. I don't know, maybe it's that I'm not so patient anymore with software, I just need it to work for me, instead of spending hours tweaking and tweaking to get it to work.

See 1 answered question