Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Compaq Presario SR2010NX Desktop PC (AMD Sempron Processor 3400+, 512 MB RAM, 120 GB Hard Drive, CD-RW/DVD-ROM Combo Drive) (Discontinued by Manufacturer)
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Thank you Scientist Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

on November 28, 2008
I purchased this PC a year or two ago from Best Buy, as my previous custom PC had been utterly destroyed in a heavy lightning storm. The only reason I bought this was its cheap price. being a minimum wage earning college student, I had to settle with what I could afford so that I could continue doing my school work and side business projects.

When you receive the SR2010NX, you also receive a host of HP Games and Trial Offers, all of which are simple to remove yourself, so it's no big deal. You'll also want to delete many of the Start Up entries, so this puppy isn't bogged down upon load up.

As far as overall performance goes, she handles OKAY if you're running things like MS Office, Firefox, and such. As soon as you start packing on the big boys though (iTunes, Adobe Photoshop, and mid range video games even on low graphics settings) this computer will rip you a whole new black hole of stress and anger. Think of the SR2010NX as a 2002 Honda Civic. You get it because you either don't need performance, or you can't afford performance. It gets you from A to B, it's comfortable, and it makes a great low profile family machine. I, on the other hand, use programs like Adobe CS, Firefox, and iTunes all at once, and I have video games that this Civic can't handle at all, and to make matters worse, this poor thing can only be upgraded to 2GB of SDRAM.

I am currently saving up, slowly but surely, for a replacement PC, custom built by yours truly that can handle my intensive daily regimen without constantly freezing and crashing programs (as the SR2010NX does). In essence, I'll be trading my trusty old Civic in for a 2009 Pontiac G8. Yum.

If you're looking for a PC that can handle the basics, and/or you are low on budget, this is a fine computer to get you by. If you need to crank more out of your machine however, you will be quickly disappointed and wracked with buyer's remorse. Get by for just a couple more months on a friend's PC or your college's computer room, and save up just a little more for something better.

Cheers.
on September 26, 2010
I have had this computer for a very long time up to 5 years and still going strong on some occasions. Soon I will have to break away from this PC and get something new with a new OS. I like it cause it has capabilities to get my internet surfing, playing music, making videos, and collecting personal photos and documents. I had to stick 2 GB of RAM in the slots cause 512 Megs was not cutting it enough for my multitasking. It's a great beginners computer so I may give it to my girl friend after I get another PC in the future. It has an excellent graphics chip for the monitor and I may get an LCD monitor to get the most out of the graphics chipset. I am still sometimes having issues with the printer drivers, and some other drivers, but still it's an ok PC. Right now this PC has been discontinued, but someone may sell theirs here.
on November 24, 2007
This replaced our 10 year old computer. Needless to say, the speed is fantastic, and we love the XP home operating system. The computer is very quiet and works perfectly. We may consider adding another 512 MB Ram Memory, but so far no problem. The unit comes with some easy to use software, like SONIC for burning CD's. We tossed out most of the trial version software) and installed our Office 2000 discs. The only small surprise was the outdated wheel mouse, no big deal, we purchased an optical mouse at Wal-Mart for under $10. We were glad NOT TO HAVE THE VISTA operating system, because some of our software will not run on VISTA. So we are very happy with the computer and the low price. We even got free shipping.
on January 24, 2007
I picked this up at a local retailer with a nice rebate making it very affordable. The Sempron chip is very energy efficient and I love that I can barely hear the cooling fan. The system runs Dragon Naturally speaking with no problem at all however if you're going to be multitasking I would recommend at least 1g of memory. Overall this pc was a great replacement that didn't break the bank.
on September 28, 2015
do not waste your time trying to load Windows 10, it will not load. I have Windows 7 and it is still slow but it works. Update your HP drivers and do Windows Updates did speed it up a little.
on March 9, 2007
It's quiet and energy-efficient--my old one actually got hot it used so much energy. Looks nice and all that--does what a new computer should do. At least after I beefed up the RAM (which with labor charges cost way over $300 additional) to a gigabyte. But folks, if it's been several years since you bought your last PC you are in for a surprise because of all the so-called trial programs it comes with. I'd read about this problem but had no idea it would be THIS bad. Actually I hear it's like this with most new PCs nowadays. These programs are in-your-face, they take up disc space, and they are very, VERY hard to get rid of. Took me two weeks straight. If that's not bad enough, remember when a new PC would always come with at least Word or WordPerfect or something--the full program? Well, now that too is just a trial version and if you want Word you have to buy it! Yep! (I understand that's true of not only this Presario but of others, but do be warned that it's going to cost you a bundle for software to be able to ever USE the thing! I do mean a bundle!) Another bad surprise: NO printer port. None, zilch. Could not, not, believe it. Neither a parallel port (for my beloved dot matrix printer) nor a serial port. It doesn't point this out in the product details, of course! So in addition to buying hundreds of dollars' worth of software, NOW I ALSO have to buy a new printer to get one that will work in a USB port! Also there aren't but two memory-card slots so if you want 1 gig of RAM you have to remove a 256 first, that's bad--and the slots are under the bundle of internal wires! Altogether, it would have been FAR cheaper to buy a very expensive PC. As for service, though, that's better than I expected and free, though sometimes the tech barely knows English (the techs are all in India). The best part was ordering through Amazon with its wonderful fast delivery! By the way, I needed it for my paying job so the problems with getting rid of trial programs, getting somebody to install more RAM, etc., cost me several weeks of pay in addition to all I had to spend on software and such. Not good, not good! Buy an expensive one, you'll be way ahead. I sure will next time because this has ended up costing me about $1500 total anyway--not counting lost pay or the new printer I need, and I already had a new monitor and speakers and a good optical mouse. So this is not the way to save money, nope.