Automotive Holiday Deals Books Gift Guide Books Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Prime Music Sweepstakes egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Luxury Beauty Gifts for Her Amazon Gift Card Offer cm15 cm15 cm15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $30 Off Fire HD 6 Kindle Cyber Monday Deals Cyber Monday Video Game Deals Outdoor Deals on Tikes

on January 11, 2009
I would not purchase anything from the vendors of Plane Quiet. I bought their $200 Solitude headphones. They broke at the connection between the headband and headphone. A web search revealed this to be a common problem. Irritatingly enough, the "limited life time warranty" excluded this chief source of failure for these headphones. I was stuck with a piece of junk after two years even though I treated these phones with kid gloves.

My request for warranty service was met with a $20 discount for the new headphones since the old Solitude ones are not being manufactured due to patent infringement problems. In short, they just blew me off.

I ended up buying Audio Technica ATH-ANC7 noise cancelling headphones for $98 and they are far superior to the $200 Solitude phones I bought. Much better noise cancellation, better sound reproduction, and more comfortable fit. And, the swivels that connect the headphones to the headband are very robust.

So, maybe these headphones are OK... but I can guarantee you that the company does not stand behind their products, and there is a great, inexpensive alternative out there (the Audio Technica - I've now owned 4 different brands and these are the best). I can't see a reason for buying these headphones given such a great alternative, and the very poor service, warranty, and attitude of the Out of the Box folks, the manufacturers of these headphones.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 7, 2009
They appear to be great in electronic noice cancelling and covering your ear to isolate some sounds too. They are very frim on your head and after some time wearing them they become uncomfortable. For great isloation i used ear plugs and then wore them and it was very quiet. I think the ear cups should be larger and softer to mould the ear more and subsequently isolate the external sounds better.

THE MOST IMPORTNAT THING: The swivel that connects the ear cup to the head band breaks - it cannot be repaired. I would not buy this product again, for the price i expect better quality.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 22, 2008
This is the second set of Solitude's that we have owned. We really like the product so after we lost the first pair we bought another. This pair was sat on in the plane and a small piece of plastic broke off the ear piece separating the ear piece from the headset and now it is worthless. The electronics still work but when I called the company I was told that they have "no extra parts available" and don't provide repair referral or information. Not very customer friendly since now I have to order a whole new set. Think we'll try Bose this time.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 19, 2007
Really cuts down the ambient noise. Is not that comfortable because it tightly covers the whole ear. Can get a little painful in long use.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse