Automotive Holiday Deals Books Gift Guide Books Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Train egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Luxury Beauty Gifts Under $50 Amazon Gift Card Offer bf15 bf15 bf15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $15 Off All-New Fire Kindle Black Friday Deals Buy one Get one Free\ Outdoor Deals on Tikes

on September 3, 2008
I have a Kenmore refrigerator form Sears that I bought about a year and a half ago. Kenmore is actually made by Whirlpool and although the filter this replaced was labeled Kenmore, this is the exact same filter but labeled Whirlpool instead. I looked it up on the Sears site and they wanted $50 for the same filter. The price is a steal and even though it says 6 months I used it for over a year since I have soft water in my house and only one person. My fridge has a 6 month built in timer that goes from green to orange to red when the 6 months is up. I thought it might be based on actual usage, but it's not, because it went red at exactly 6 months and I use far less water than most other households. I have no idea why more time would harm a filter, as far as I'm concerned it's just a marketing tactic to get you to buy them more often then needed, like oil changes every 3,000 miles.
2121 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 10, 2009
This filter fits my Kenmore Elite side by side which takes the Sears 9030 filter and at almost half the price. The only difference in this filter is it does not say Stage II or Kenmore. The water tastes exactly the same to me as when I used the Sears brand and I am very aware of the water taste since we have hard, extremely chlorinated water in my area. I wish I had found these filters - 4 Sears brand filters ago ... serious $$$ savings!
66 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 15, 2012
I was so happy to see Amazon carrying these filters. Beats $85.00 for one filter from Sears!

Here are the filter part numbers that this Whirlpool filter replaces. You'll find the number ON your old Sears filter so you'll need to pop yours out. I found about 3 separate part numbers on my Sears filter so look carefully!

9020, 9030, 46-9020, 46-9030, 469020, 469030, T1RFWB2, T1WB2, T1WB2L, T1RFKB1, T1KB1, 2260538, T1KB2, T1RFKB2, Kenmore Pur 2260515, 2260538. The Whirlpool 4396710 will also replace part number W10121145. (these numbers were found through searching on Google)

Also I noted that Amazon has 3 different part numbers for this Whirlpool filter: 4396710, 4396710P, 4396710T / I believe these filter numbers are all the same, it just signifies the quantity in the pack. 1 filter, 2 filters, 3 filters respectively.

This filter appears to be the EXACT same filter that Sears sells, it just doesn't say Sears, it says Whirlpool.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 14, 2007
I bought my whirlpool refrigerator from sears in 2006. Sears sent me a reminder through mail that I need to replace my filter. I almost ordered the part through the website because this particular filter was not available through the sears store or through their parts center. I went to the website and their price was $60.59($44.98part+ $4.62tax+$10.99shipping). Then I thought about checking to see if this filter was available, and it was, for a much lower cost to me. My total was $41.98($34.99part+$6.99shipping). I ordered the filter on May30 and received it through usps on June2. Replacing the filter was easy - just pop out the old one, transfer the filter cap from the old filter to the new one, and pop the new filter assembly back in. The old filter was dripping water, so I took it over to the sink to shake out the water and out came some rust colored water and small pieces of debris which would have been in my drinking water if it had not been filtered out by the filter. So it is a good idea to replace the filter on a regular basis.
on July 13, 2009
This is a good filter at a substantial savings compared to Sears. It will fit into your Kenmore Frige that takes a PUR filter.

Some interesting Facts not all know: Why to change your filter...

Eventually the AC filter (Active Carbon) loses its ability to remove contaminants, because it becomes clogged with material. In the case of taste and odor, the time to change the filter is easy to detect. However, in the case of other contaminants, it is more difficult to determine when the filter is no longer performing at an adequate level. Most manufacturers recommend a filter change after a certain volume of water has passed through the filter. Some AC units actually meter the water and automatically shut down after a specific quantity of water has passed through the filter. A general rule of thumb for high-volume AC filters is to change the filter after six months of use or 1000 gallons of filtered water. Tests done by Rodale Press Product Testing Department indicated that filtering performance was reduced dramatically after 75 percent of the manufacturer's recommended life time. These results suggest that filters should be changed more often than suggested by the manufacturer. Some AC filters are claimed to last for five years, because they are rechargeable with hot water (145 degrees F). The heat is supposed to release adsorbed organic chemicals. Little information is available on the prolonged effectiveness of rechargeable AC units. General recommendations are somewhat useful quidelines, but there is no guarantee that they apply to any specific situation. Remember, the only certain way of knowing whether contaminant levels are acceptable or not is by having your water tested.

A sediment filter installed ahead of any AC filter will prolong the life of the AC unit. Sediment can easily clog the pores of an AC filter within a short period of time. A good sediment filter can be purchased for only a fraction of the price of most high volume AC filters.

The Bacteria Issue

AC filters can be a breeding ground for microorganisms. The organic chemicals that are adsorbed to the AC are a source of food for various types of bacteria. Pathogenic bacteria are those that cause human diseases such as typhoid, cholera, and dysentery. Public water systems must treat for disease causing bacteria; therefore, the likelihood of disease causing bacteria being introduced to an AC filter from public drinking water is remote. AC filtration should only be used on water that has been tested and found to be bacteria free or effectively treated for pathogenic bacteria.

Other types of non-pathogenic bacteria that do not cause diseases have been regularly found in AC filters. There are times when high amounts of bacteria (non-pathogenic) are found in water filtered through an AC unit. Research by R. L. Caldron and E. W. Mood (1987) shows little risk to healthy people that consume high amounts of non-pathogenic bacteria. We regularly take in millions of bacteria every day from other sources. However, there is some concern for certain segments of the population, such as the very young or old and people weakened by illness. Some types of non-pathogenic bacteria can cause illness in those whose natural defenses are weak. Flushing out bacteria that have built up in the filter can be accomplished by running water through an AC filter for about 30 seconds prior to use. Water filtered after the initial flushing will have much lower levels of bacteria and ingestion of a high concentration of bacteria will have been avoided. The flushing procedure is most important in the morning or any other time of the day when the filter has not been used for several hours.

Some compounds of silver have been used as disinfectants. Silver has been added to certain AC filters as a solution to the bacteria problem. Unfortunately, product testing has not shown silver impregnated AC to be much more effective in controlling bacteria than normal AC filters. Only in the first month of operation did there appear to be any advantage to using an AC filter that contained silver.

EPA requires registration of all types of water treatment equipment that contain an active ingredient for the purpose of inhibiting the growth of microorganisms. Registration does not guarantee that the product is effective. It only guarantees that the active ingredient will not leach from the filter at levels that would be a health hazard.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 2, 2006
WIth all due respect to the reviewer who complained that the cost of 20 cents/day was unreasonable and excessive, this filter does an amazing job and is a fantastic bargain, **especially** when compared to bottled water and manufactured ice. We've had our new KitchenAid fridge for just a little over 6 months, and we've been delighted with the sparkly-clean, crisp, tasteless water & ice that this filter enables it to dispense. Especially since we live in a "hard-water" area, where the stuff coming from your tap, while acceptable, leaves a faint, gritty mineral taste. I used to "splurge" on store-bought ice several times/year for parties and special occasions, just because it tasted so much better. (Or rather, didn't taste like anything at all -- which is of course the point.) Since we've had this fridge, with this filter, I've never needed to spend extra on bagged ice OR bottled water, because the ice & water thru this filter are every bit as good. The acid test? I could fill a clean plastic bottle with the water from this filter, and let it sit at room temperature for a day or more, and it still tastes just as good warm as if it were freshly dispensed. That same exercise with our regular tap water would've resulted in a nasty, nose-wrinkling, mineral stew as soon as the chill was gone. Another nice advantage this filter has over bottled water is that it does NOT filter out cavity-preventing fluoride, whereas most (all?) bottled waters do.
55 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 22, 2015
This is not the same at the Kenmore because it does not filter everything the Kenmore does. The Kenmore #90302 has Pur Ultimate 2 filtration which filters TTHM (Trihalomethane's Volatile Organic Compounds that are formed when Chlorine is added to the water supply during treatment and is found in all tap water at .80 milligrams and are carcinogenic) , MTBE (Gasoline Additive) and VOC (over 40 sythetic and Petroleum based products including herbicides, pesticides and industrial solvents. I had this filter and the NSF spec sheet says it does not filter the above that the Kenmore does according to there spec sheet and box. The Kenmore is also made in Mexico by 3M and the Whirlpool is made in Taiwan. Yes the whirlpool is cheaper because it does not filter TTHM, MTBE and VOC, i bought the Kenmore today at sears for $90 for two which is a year supply, it was worth it considering it filters more chemicals.
review image review image review image review image
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 31, 2008
This product works in the Kenmore brand refrigerators as well as the whirlpool ones. This seems to be identical in every way to the sears product 9030 but is SUBSTANTIALLY cheaper. I would not compromise on quality for price, but when it comes to this, it is not compromise. So save those $$$$$ and you will find that you will find the same results with these as the ones sears sells. (Whirlpool makes kenmore refrigerators so it isn't surprising that these are interchangeable).
on May 14, 2009
This is the 3rd time I've used this filter on my Kenmore fridge. It costs so much less than the "Kenmore brand" product... which is just an overpriced version of this exact filter. Don't waste your money, this does the trick.
on July 9, 2009
The filter does what it is intended to do and they are much cheaper than the Kenmore branded filter. I have a Kenmore that calls for Part #09030 and this filter is identical to that one.