Had this camera for 1 month, LOVE IT!

Pros:

- HUGE SCREEN!! Talk about being the center of attention when you whip this camera out. Definitely want to get some sort of a protective slip for it.

- Great picture quality. What do you expect from SONY? Only the best.

- Internal Memory. 2GB - memory stick? No neccessary with this. Internal hard drive rocks.

- Sleek design. Doesn't look cheap, luxurious feel.

- Video recording. Again...just like the pictures, it rocks.

CONS

- Weight. A tad bit on the heavy side, but the HUGE screen makes you forget about it quickly!

- Close/Open slide. Not neccessarily a con, but it just takes a little getting used to.

- Size. Not the biggest of cameras but definitely not the slimmist. Again, not a huge downside considering the huge screen but short time you get used to it!

For more info, I would suggest going to [...] and seeing the video on this product! You won't be dissapointed with the camera
on June 28, 2007
I've used Amazon to order various items before and was always satisfied with the result...quality at low prices.
I ordered a Sony Dsc G1 on Sunday June 24th and it arrived Thursday, June 28th.
I've taken about 50 photos under critical conditions, low light and using the automatic features of the camera.
I'm amazed at how well it performs. Big LCD screen, the camera is a nice size for my big hands, just a little bigger then the regular Cybershots. The resolution in the screen is excellent.
I was considering the DSC T-100 but it got such bad ratings that I went with this camera....sure glad I did!
When I figure out some of the more technical features I'll post a more detailed review.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on August 19, 2008
I bought a Sony a300 dSLR a few months ago, but decided it wasn't logical to carry around a $1000 camera to parties, so I went searching for a good point and shoot that took quality pictures for around $200. I stumbled onto this camera at a National Camera Exchange tent sale and immediately fell in love with it.
Pros:
- 9-point AF is great for a point and shoot
- 3.5" screen is huge and crystal clear: have to see it to believe
- 6 MP is more than enough for 99% of my shots and it doesn't take up so much space on my computer. It also does better in low light conditions because the pixels aren't so packed on the sensor.
- 2 GB internal memory is awesome, and you don't have to buy expensive Sony memory sticks
- Can store and listen to music with an 8 mm headphone jack
- Nice charging dock
- Beautiful menu displays
- Toggle switch is the best way to flip through menus
- Lens is hidden when closed so it isn't easily scratched

Cons:
- Buttons are a little tough to learn
- Little big for most small camera cases

Would recommend it for anyone. Just a fun camera to own.
on December 30, 2009
Verified Purchase
The reason I gave it five stars is not because of its primary role as a still-camera, but because of the unique features it offers and how well they have been delivered.

1) As an mp3 player, what surprised me is the clarity of the music it plays. I use the Sennheiser HD600 and Sony MDR-V6 to monitor the music and found out that the sound is exceptionally clear. I am an analog audio fan and do not like the mp3 very much. Most of the time, I use the old cassette player (Sony TC-D5M) and the metal tapes. To me, the DSC-G1 is probably one of the most analog-like mp3 players that I have ever heard and this is actually very unusual because playing the music may not be its primary intended use.

2) While the still camera is not exceptionally good and has limited image quality performance under poor lighting, the video performance is quite good and at least better than most pocket flash video recorders. Three things that I like most are: 1) the mp4 format uses much less memory space than the mpeg while the video quality is quite acceptable. 2) You can use the optical zoom feature during filming. Most still cameras do not allow you to do that and most pocket video recorders have only the digital zoom. And 3) the battery duration is much better than the newer Sony's pity-sized batteries. I can generally get 100 minutes in the video taking mode.
on October 12, 2012
I have had this camera for 5 years now, and it has worked wonderfully! It brings out the color in every shot and will even take some excellent city night shots with the SL flash setting. Comparing the colors of the same scenery shot using a different camera, the difference is astonishing. Post card quality beach shots!

Recently I have been getting an album data error, but the camera continues to work after formatting it. I am looking into a permanent resolution, however, because I dread looking for a camera that likely won't compare.

Its a great buy!
on March 19, 2009
if u like big screen this s perfect for you.. and for me i find it user friendlys its so easy to use... but just one things its kindah heavy for a normal digital which is light to carry.. but overall i love it...thanks amazon..