Product Packaging: Standard Packaging|Change

VINE VOICEon August 11, 2010
Second pair of headphones for kids we have bought, the first being the highly rated Kidz Gear Kidz Gear Wired Headphones For Kids that our now 6 year old uses. When these arrived, of course the older kid liked the looks better (has animal figures and the Kidz Gear are not that cutesy) and even tried to tell me hers were broken! :)

I wanted to try a different brand since I always thought the Kidz Gear sounded terrible (very muffled, like you were listening with cotton stuck in your ears)

So these arrive, and yes they are cute. They also seem to be a little sturdier (although that has not been a problem to date with the Kidz Gear as they are still working after many intl/overnight flights) and maybe almost TOO inflexible in some parts, as the fit doesn't seem to be as good as the Kidz Gear, which conform a little better to the shape of the head.

So back to the sound quality: I am not trying to raise audiophiles, but on the other hand, why submit very low fidelity sound to your kids, especially given that many of the songs they are hearing for the first time? Also knowing that it's certainly possible to produce a headphone that sounds 2x better than these at the same cost. The earbuds that came with several phones and mp3 players as freebies sound MUCH better than both of these phones.

So, yes I am being picky, and I do realize that most parents just don't care about sound quality themselves in many cases, much less for the kids, but I am not one of those parents. Would you want to buy glasses for your kids that are hazy and unclear?

Anyway, I give three stars PRIMARILY based on sound quality, which is poor, at best. Construction seems OK, price is OK I guess, but I will continue my search.

Will update here if I find the Holy Grail of children's headphones. :)
66 comments|107 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 16, 2010
I actually bought these for myself, and i'm 13 years old. These work great! They're very cute, and have pretty good quality. Very Comfortable. I gave it to my parents to try and they enjoy it as well!
on March 11, 2013
I usually don't write reviews but find myself checking reviews quite a bit before making a purchase..... so I should probably contribute. Bought this based on the reviews for our 5 hour flight to Hawaii. We didn't give the headphones to my daughter til we got on the plane as a surprise and something else that's new to occupy her attention (just another trick while traveling). BUT before we left, I went to set the volume control as some headphones have a lock to restrict the child from cranking the volume up too high. Come to find out, this product had no such setting. SO... I just took some matching black electrical tape and taped over the volume know (without her seeing or knowing because if she did, she would remove the tape and adjust it herself without me knowing.... those with kids know how these little booger eaters behave). She totally dug the headphones and it made that trip and future trips/extended car rides more enjoyable for all involved. It's amazing how quiet they get with their headphones on and the Ipad slapped in front of them. 4 stars because it's a great product but without the volume lock. Thanks for reading.
on May 4, 2011
Often you get what you pay for. In the case of these headphones, we got less. I bought them for my almost-four-year-old to take on an airplane trip. They were awesome! He was also able to use them while we were on our vacation. But once we got home, they no longer worked--despite very gentle use.

On closer inspection, it looks like they're just very cheaply constructed. These are Made in China and it shows. You may luck out and get a pair that work for the long haul, or you may end up like us: with broken headphones and broken hearts. Just kidding. But we are kicking ourselves for procrastinating and missing Amazon's 30-day return window.

**If you're going to throw caution to the wind and get these, I might suggest a little electronic tape around both ends of the volume control. I think that's where our wires probably broke.**

Attention manufacturers! Won't someone please make a modestly priced, extremely sturdy headphone set?!
on May 6, 2007
I bought these headphones before my 2 year old daughter and I were flying cross-country. I tried to get her used to them before the plane ride. I probably should have used them longer before getting on the plane. On the plane she did fine on the way out and even fell asleep with them on. On the way home, she would only wear them for about 20 minutes. I think it was the novelty she did not like, but overall I was happy with the purchase and would recommend these headphones. Just use them a bit before you actually need them to get your child used to them.

By the way since there is no picture, these are kid size headphones. Each earpiece looks like a panda.
on November 1, 2010
These headphones are great and my kids love them. I would give them 5 stars, but my kids seem to be a little rough on them and they've pulled the cords out of the volume control a couple times. I've re-soldiered the connections and they still work great, but I wish that connection was reinforced a little better or the volume control was relocated to a better spot.
on March 9, 2015
Toddler tested and parent approved! We bought these for our son when he was almost 2 for an international plane trip. He really likes them and has not destroyed them. They seem to be good quality and my husband has even used them when he can't find his own headphones. They adjust so that both my boys (big and small) can wear them.

Edited 4-7-16: We now have a one year old and she loves to play with these when she finds them. Our 3.5 year old uses them when we take the DVD player on trips or when he wants to play the keyboard. My husband actually uses them the most though. He never replaced his earbuds and uses these at night when he wants to watch a movie in bed, but I want to sleep. They work well for both of us--I can't hear his shows and he can hear just fine. These have really held up well for the abuse they have received.
on October 21, 2015
If your looking for headphones for your child where the sound won't cause ear damage or pop their ears these are it. The headphones get just loud enough for your toddler to wnjoy their movie or show. The only thing I don't like which made me not give 5 stars is how the jack sits out. You can see in my pictures sometimes it my be difficult with the case you have on your phone/iPad or other device. For the most part their comparable with many cases. Overall the headphones work exactly as they are meant to.
review image review image review image
VINE VOICEon November 25, 2007
I bought these headphones for my two and half year old girl to use with an iPod Touch. The ear buds that come with iPods simply do not stay in my little girl's ears for very long. Until we got these headphones my wife and I were resigned to listening to our daughter's shows over the car radio. Now we can ride in peace as our little girl happily enjoys her show. We paid a little extra for these particular Califone's as they have the independent volume control. We've tried the volume control but really haven't used it. We set the volume on the iPod and then place the headphone on our girl. Actually she has figured out the iPod and likes to put on the headphones by herself! The overall quality of these headphones is not bad for $12.95 on Amazon. Our daughter is quite comfortable with these headphones. I highly recommend these Califone headphones.
on February 14, 2012
My 6-year old uses my old iPod to listen to music or watch movies in the car and in waiting rooms and other such boring places. She used to have a pair of the Sony kid headphones, but they wouldn't stay on her head. They were always slipping down, and especially when she was littler, she could never quite get them on correctly by herself and she couldn't adjust the headband part by herself, which would never stay put. She had a pair of other kid headphones that were designed to hook over her ear, but she similarly just didn not have the ability to get them on correctly on her own, and if we were in the car, and I was driving, I certainly couldn't help. It was frustrating for both of us.

I got her these headphones for Christmas, and they've been fantastic. She can put them on herself and they stay on while she's boogying around. They're tight, but soft and comfortable.

They lost a star for size. They're perfect for a 6-year old, but I'll be very surprised if they actually fit when she's 9 or 10, and she's a perfectly medium-sized kid. The sizing is great for us right now, but describing them as appropriate for a 10-year-old seems somewhat misleading.

I cannot comment on the sound, because I just haven't listened to them. They don't fit my head.