Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer showtimemulti showtimemulti showtimemulti  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro

on February 8, 2007
This is a great notebook that I have had for a week already. It works well with vista and the briteview screen is awesome compared to my old laptop. Comes with a remote to watch DVDs...and its easy to use. The only drawback is the battery like most laptops...lasts a little less than 2 hours. I believe its possible to upgrade the battery. Using Vista Premium media center allows me to transfer videos from the internet to my xbox 360 to be used on my big screen-impressive. For an everyday computer this one I feel is a good choice.
on March 19, 2007
This laptop has great screen resolution and is light enough to be considered really mobile. There are also a number of power options that support reasonable battery use times when an outlet is not available. To really use Vista Premium another 1G RAM and a better graphics card would be useful.

The plug on the power adapter(ceramic inside)can break under normal use but will be replaced by HP under the warranty. However, the adapters are on backorder and delays of three or more weeks are being experienced right now. (This may change - it may be an original production problem).

The black ZEN cover looks nice when clean. However, it picks up smudges all the time. There is a cloth provided by HP with the laptop that keeps it clean.

The ability to scroll with the touch pad is a great attribute and makes internet use more rewarding when a mouse is not an option. It can also make other uses - such as writing and editing with MS WORD - a more productive experience.
on March 21, 2007
I'm not a fan of the outside case. I'll be honest. It looks kind of stupid being a glossy black. To make matters worse it has to be the 2nd worst design idea in the history of Tech after the ipod polished chrome case. ie. It scratches very very easily - and gets finger prints even easier than that.

Other than this, it is really a great deal for the price. It works like a charm. It's not the sleekest thing you'll ever lay your eyes on (and it's not the lightest thing either). But it works.

Also, you might want to look into the fact that the duo core on this model is NOT a duo 2 - not like im a tech expert but apparently it is significantly slower than some of the other models out there. Not that i would notice considering i only use it for internet/microsoft office and watching DVDs.
on February 11, 2007
This is an awesome laptop.

Everything perfect about it althought I'm scared on how to keep it clean....

Awesome configurations and the best part is windows vista which is so user-friendly.

havent had any problems yet.
on March 29, 2007
(2 weeks after purchase) Great machine loaded with more software than Bill Gates' broom closet. If you're going to be doing alot of memory draining work, I suggest ordering an extra gig of ram (it comes with 1 gig,with 2 gig max). This PC is for my wife, and she basically does email, Excel, music , so 1 gig works fine. Vista is a work of art and very easy to use. Amazon did a gret job on the transaction and delivery.

8 months Later:
The HP PC's are TRASH in my opinion. I bought the DV6226US in March 2007, and my System Board fried just 7-1/2 months later. They replaced it, and 8 months later if fried again - and HP wouldn't cover it. With the excessive heat no wonder! A system board crashing is rare but 2 boards in 16 months is nothing but defective product - pure and simple. DONT BUY THIS PRODUCT
on December 24, 2009
In researching this model I noticed a gajillion complaints about motherboard failures. It's important to note that this problem seems to have been limited to the AMD motherboard, and NOT the Intel one. If you are reading this before considering a buy from eBay, etc, it is important that you factor this!

OK! That said, this is a great laptop for regular use. By "regular" I mean browsing, flash games (the goofy kind we all waste time on, not 'real' games), and multimedia. The included 1GB is something a joke for Vista, and part of the reason so many people blamed Vista for being terrible when, in many cases, the complaints were coming from people who were sold underpowered computers. The 1.6 dual core, however, is more than adequate for most people. Integrated graphics are predictably anemic, but again, this won't be an issue as long as you're not playing an intense game.

I installed Win7 on this rig before eventually upgrading to 2GB. However, the included 1GB runs just fine (for 7). It is NOT adequate for Vista! Multi-tasking in 7 was generally a breeze if kept to fairly pedestrian applications. Anything more will require a $40 investment in additional RAM. Please note that this model has two slots, and BOTH are currently occupied by 512MB sticks. So you'll have to replace both of them in order to get a full 2GB.

As for looks, it is a knockout. The overall fit and finish is top notch, as well. The laptop has a very satisfactory "solid" feel, in marked contrast to other creaky, flexing chassis and screens in this price range. The 'imprint' finish is just elegant and I could spend most of the day just admiring the lines on this machine.

It does run a bit on the warm side. However, you can counter this with the free program, "Speedfan." In it, you can specify an internal temp at which the fan turns on, instead of HP's apparent belief that it doesn't need to come on until eggs are able to be fried on it.

The screen is arguably the best I have used on ANY laptop, regardless of price range or manufacturer. It's very sharp and precise, undoubtedly aided by the very high gloss coating. This brings me to the common complaint that the lid and bezel are fingerprint magnets. Well, this is true! While irksome it's hardly a reason to not buy this or any of the similarly styled HP models. The finish on the base/palmrests feels extremely durable. It's like typing on a hard candied shell.

Concluding, I'd get this computer if you have the chance. I think the negative reviews plastered all over the internet have limited prices to the low-mid $200USD range. It's reasonably light (standard 6 lbs.), and a solid choice for that price.
on November 29, 2007
I had high hopes for this HP laptop. In the past, I had had good experiences with HP computers, and this one had pretty good reviews and looked beautiful. However, this one has been horrible, for one "small" reason--the power jack is bad.

Let me be clear: we used this laptop as a stationary desktop (takes up less room) so we NEVER MOVED IT. Never. It sat in the same place, and yet still the power jack stopped making the connection to the laptop, so it stopped charging. It got to where we had to jiggle it and turn it just so, until we saw the blue LED light and saw the battery indicator show it was charging.

The jack never felt like it was totally pushed in, from day one, but it got really bad after about 2 months.

Since it's under warranty, HP took it back, and I am hopeful it will be fixed; however, looking at many computer forums where people sent their HP laptops in 3, 4, 5 times and more, I am not hopeful.

A brand-new computer should WORK right out of the box! You shouldn't have to send it back after only 2 months of extraordinary gentle use!

Stay away from HP until they acknowledge this design problem and stop making laptops like this!
on June 30, 2009
Have had this product for 2 years now. I have found it a fine computer with a few notes.

Overall the laptop is quick and stable. It is faster than a Gateway laptop I replaced. Lighter, cooler running (nice on the leg) and processes a Dual Layer DVD in less than 15 minutes, start to finish. That is fast!

The battery is a bad point on this computer. The first one went bad and was replaced under warranty by HP. The second one has been bad for a while and Windows says it needs replaced. Lasted less than a year. Will get an aftermarket battery this time and get the 8 hour version.

The finish on the laptop has been good and durable, except for the trackpad. The silver finish on this one is worn completely off in the up/down glide area and in the center of the trackpad where you tap. I mean worn thru the black primer to the white. I use this averaging about an hour of web surfing a day and use arrow/enter keys a lot. It still works, but looks crappy.

I got mine at the old Circuit City store for $700 2 years ago. This price is way too high at Amazon.
on April 3, 2007
As a Dell & Apple owner, I admit to being a bit apprehensive over this HP. It looks so beautiful but how would it perform? For everyday tasks it's flawless - web, word, photoshop, itunes all run quickly and without hesitation. The screen images are beautiful, the media card reader is perfect, wifi runs at high speeds and the little remote that hides in the card slot are ingenious.

If HP could only fix the short battery life, this machine would get a 5.

Consider this machine highly recommended.
on November 21, 2007
Warning to those wishing to play games: disregard the claim that this is an "entertainment pc" you cannot run Second Life on it. It has a built in Intel graphics accelerator chip set which cannot handle 3-D graphics. I bought the laptop because it claimed to the one I needed, but I wasted my money.