Automotive Deals BOTYSFKT Shop Women's Clothing Learn more Discover it Songs of Summer Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis STEM Segway miniPro

on September 3, 2009
I've had the opportunity to use both the wired transducer attached via suction cup and the wireless remote sonar sensor. First I'd like to make it clear that the RF45 RSS is included. Some of the product information I read seemed to indicate that it was not included, but that was wrong.

I bought this because several times a year I go to a local lake and rent a boat to fish for trout and Kokanee salmon, the rest of the time I spend fishing I fish from the shore. During a recent trip when I rented a boat I used the wired transducer. The boat I was on was a large pontoon boat and the only place to attach the transducer was to the back of one of the pontoons. The surface was rounded and had algae all over it. I got the transducer on but after a short time with the 50hp motor at full power the transducer fell off. That was okay, I wasn't expecting it to hold on at higher speeds, especially with the poor surface it was attached to. Once we got in the area where we wanted to fish and started going trolling speeds the transducer held on very well, it might have fallen off once every few hours. I do expect that if the surface had been flat and not covered in algae it would have held on even better. We trolled in water from about 30' deep to 110' deep and in every case the fish finder did well, even auto adjusting the focus on the display as we went from 30'->60'->90'. I learned a lot about this lake using the finder that I would have never known no matter how many times I've fished it without one.

The wireless sonar sensor was a little tricky for me because it seemed that it was not being detected and the display would go to a simulation without displaying that fact on the screen, making me think the simulation was what I was seeing in the water I was on. After I figured out how to keep the unit from going to simulation mode it worked well. I haven't marked a fish with it yet, but I do now know the depth and what the lake bed looks like in my favorite shore fishing locations.

After several uses including an all day boat outing I'm still on the first set of batteries.

I like this unit and would recommend it to other fisherman like myself who fish from shore and sometimes a rented boat.
on September 19, 2008
This product works excellent. It is very easy to operate and very portable. I can't think of anything I would change about this fishfinder.
on February 16, 2009
The Humminbird PiranhaMax 230 Portable Fish Finder works and operates perfectly. The state I fish in gets very cold and snows most of the time. The Humminbird PiranhaMax worked thru it all. The alarm is loud enough for my bad hearing. It is very compact so that helps with taking everything a person needs for fishing, I would advise anyone ice fishing to buy this product as I have used it in adverse conditions and it never failed me.
on March 8, 2011
I purchased this portable fish finder based partially on the previous reviews. I intend to use it on destination fly-in fishing trips in Canada. I was surprised by two things....first the product seems to be a collection of parts...assembly is required. Second, depending the transducer included, the unit doesn't fold into as compact a form as what I was led to believe. There is no picture on the outside of the box as to how the folded up unit will look. I will have to take care protecting the transducer during travel as a result.
on February 8, 2011
Piranahmax 230 arrived before due date & after reading user guide took out for trial run. Worked perfectly & at depths we fished at(up to 120 meters)it seemed to be even better. Still haven't used the smart-cast device yet but if the rest of the product is anything to go by it will work just as well. An excellent product that does what it says it will do. Would recommend this product to anyone, well worth the money & the ease of operation is great. Only grey scale image's but the fish don't seem to care & who really needs a colour screen just to find fish.
If you are looking for an easy to use fish finder that is great value for money you can't go past this option, absolutely fantastic - 10/10.
on July 10, 2012
I purchased the B&W, Portable, Dual Beam Sonar 1600W version for a fly-in fishing trip to Canada. I needed a fish finder that used common batteries as recharging was not an option at this location. Before we left I loaded it with fresh AA batteries. We used it for 6-8 hours a day for 6 days on the single set of batteries plus they lasted a couple of short fishing trips after that! It was invaluable for finding weed beds and fish we never would have found otherwise.

Sensitivity to about 80 feet is good, but below that I get only bottom readings (no fish)even with the sensitivity set all the way up. The Smartcast sensor is neat and I have used it to find depths while pier fishing, but it went into "On" mode a couple of weeks ago and could not be turned off. The only reason I knew it was on was something triggered the night/flashing light mode. Tried over and over to get it to turn off, but it would not respond. Not a huge deal. I'll likely tear it down to see how it works. Might even buy a new one.

I have used this on inland lakes, rivers, and Lake Huron in depths up to 200'. It has been on aluminum boats as well as plastic sea kayaks. The suction cup for the wired transducer hold well, but may come detached at any time. I simply tied a loop in the cable, ran a short section of rope through that, then tie that to an oar lock or seat. As long as you keep the cable length between the knot and the transducer short enough, if it does come off it will not end up in your prop. The smoother and cleaner the surface you attach the suction cup to, the stronger it holds.
on July 31, 2014
The best portable fish/depth finder I have ever purchased! This unit is absolute perfection in every way, I haven't had a moments trouble in the 5 years since I purchased this unit on AMAZON. I fish the Chesapeake bay and have caught more ROCKFISH since I started using this unit than I did in the previous 40 years! The unit is just plain magic when it comes to locating and identifying fish of all sizes. I recommend this unit without reservation and I am so sorry that hummingbird has discontinued this model.
on November 11, 2010
After receiving the product, which was packaged very nicely, I quickly purchased 8 AA batteries, and installed it.
A brief read of the instructions and I was ready to try out the Smartcast sonar. The unit also comes with a transducer to install on a boat, I have not tried this yet, as I don't have a boat..yet.
Going down to the local wharf, I attached it to my line using a swivel and a thick grade line, I also attached a lighter grade line for some hooks, and then cast it out.

When the unit first start up, you will most likely be in simulation mode, change this to the smartcast sensor and you will see an actual view of whats in the water ! I did change the settings to Celsius and meters with ease.
Upon entering the water unit picked the RF signal and I got an instant readout of depth and temperature and what the ground looked like. I could not see any fish, I also set the fish alarm to any size of fish.

Moving to another spot, and using a slow retrieve I quickly found some fish, and the unit also showed the depth of the fish, which was very useful in my choice of fishing rig. The screen was clearly visible in bright sunlight.

I was initially considering the wristwatch version, and chose this one, as I want to buy a little boat soon, the unit works very well. However I think for fishing of a jetty or wharf, the rod mount or wrist watch might be easier to handle, as it is less of a worry about falling into the water. So I will now look a good deal on the wrist watch version, purely for peace of mind. I also think it will be easier to cast out, and look at your watch, rather than place a unit like this safely on a jetty or wharf.
on November 27, 2012
I have a 13 foot inflatable Sea Eagle that I use this fish finder on. Bought it in September 2012 I have used this many days on the bays around Surf-side Beach TX. Love it still using first set of batteries, I go out fishing every night around 3pm and am out from sun up to sun down on weekends. Never failed me, love the depth finder, lots of shallow bays around Freeport TX. Great unit, make sure you clean unit after using in salt-water. Love it
on August 12, 2011
The product is working excellently for me. It is the idea unit for my fishing kayak. The only problem I had was one part in the order was missing(screw that attaches screen to platform. I managed to rig up a replacement screw rather that try to get the part sent.