on July 25, 2007
(I gave it 4 stars because it was so hard to setup, otherwise it would have gotten 5)

I called tech support and read through every page of the manual and still couldn't figure it out - and I'm a tech guru! No one at Nikon tech support was very helpful (probably because it's still kind of new), they just kept emailing me the manuals.

Anyway, here's the mystery setup instructions:

(before anything - you need to setup a wifi connection - the nikon instructions are fine for this part. either use a publicly available hotspot or your home wireless router, plug in the password if there is one)

1. In the camera, setup your alias and email address. It's hard to figure out which character is the period (it looks like a comma rather than a dot midway up).

2. Take a photo and send it to anyone - preferably yourself.

3. Not only should you receive a copy of the photo to your email account, but Nikon Connect2 service will send you a series of email messages with the instructions to register for the connect 2 service. Without registering, all the other wifi features won't work

NOTE - if you don't get the series of email instructions but you do get the photo, then you entered the sender's address incorrectly but entered the recipient address correctly.

If you don't get any emails - then both addresses are incorrect.

4. Follow the instruction to setup the connect2 service. Without doing this, you can't link to your flickr account and you can't get access to the other connect2 features.

5. Once you've setup the connect2 account, login and you'll see the photo you just sent. Select it and click the flickr button. A pop-up window will appear and ask you for permission to link to your flickr account.

If you don't have a flickr account - I think you will be prompted to create one. After you've created the flickr account, login to the flickr account in a separate explorer window or firefox tab. Then go back to the connect2 website (in the previous window/tab) and click the flickr button again.

A popup window will ask you for permission to link your connect2 account to flickr. After you authorize it, your camera is now registered with your flickr account.

6. Now, from the camera, take a photo. Upload the photo to the email address "flickr" and it will automatically go to the connect2 website and be transfered to flickr.

Not so hard, right? Yeah right.

Actually, my hang up was that I didn't realize that i had typed in my senders email incorrectly so I never got the further instruction for registering the connect2 website. Nothing in the manual or supplemental manuals (there are 3 total) explained that the last bit of instructions would come via email. Not even the Nikon technical support website or FAQ's explained that there was a huge chunk of instructions missing - pending the receipt of the email notifications...

Anyway, I hope I saved someone some grief. Enjoy your new camera!
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on July 29, 2007
Great size and awesome pic quality for the price. The WiFi was a snap to set up and is great. You would be surprised how many places now have free WiFi. I was at a restaurant taking pictures and found they had it. Sent the pics to my girlfriend on the spot. Very nifty feature that alone is worth the price.
Nice large 3" screen is very bright and clear. Controls are easy to use and the camera is so thin and light fits easy in your pocket.
You wont be sorry if you pick one up and Amazon has the best price. Best Buy and CC were sold out.
on November 9, 2007
I'd love to give this camera a 5-star, but just can't quite yet. So the best I can do is a 4.5. I won't extol on all the great features, because everybody else does such a great job. Instead, let me just point out a couple of minor inconveniences, at least for me.

I would like to see the on/off button recessed a little more. I find myself accidently turning it on whenever I'm handling it (maybe it's just my big hands). Also, in the form fitting Coolpix case designed for it, the case itself is tight against the on/off button, also turning it on. I pulled it out one time just to see the unit already turned on, with an exhausted battery warning on the screen. The camera was quite warm. I've since switched to a generic case.

The camera feels slippery in my hands. I think a finely brushed look would be nice. That would give a little more secure feeling while still keeping it's good looks.

One of the major selling points for me was the WI-FI feature. But then that's my fault for not reading the reviews, or I would have seen that it will not connect to the PC via WI-FI, which is why I bought it. Maybe some day a firmware upgrade will change this.

The battery/SD card cover is very flimsy, at best. Be very careful when opening, and especially closing, as it can close crookedly. It has a high chance of breaking off.

All this being said, I still think this is a great camera, and not once have I thought of returning it.
on September 28, 2007
Fantastic little camera. So small it fits in my change purse! Great photos.Lots of information on how to use the camera in the booklet included.Took action photos at a polo match and "caught" a galloping horse in the air! I am very pleased with this product!
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on September 25, 2007
This camera is the best bang for you buck, and for the so-called "tech" who had problems setting this camera up - its just nonsense. This camera couldn't be easier to setup and operate. Everyone should own this camera.
on November 28, 2007
Easy to setup WiFi, Small size, and VR works great!

Problems: power button is not deep enough, so you can accidentally turn it on. I wish it comes with optical VF, so it won't drain the battery so fast. Overall it's still an excellent camera with WiFi and VR.
on January 13, 2008
The Nikon Coolpix S50c is a great point-and-shoot camera. It can quickly auto-aim and is very easy to use by the technologically-challenged. I bought this for my girlfriend, who has never owned a digital camera. I figured it'd be neat for her to be able to send pictures straight to the Internet directly to her deployed family member and friends.

The camera itself is very sleek and thin, and is very easy to carry around. The wireless setup isn't difficult for any user, but the wireless upload options are lacking. You can either e-mail a picture(s) to anyone with a valid address or you can upload batches of pictures to Nikon's picture storage site. I didn't care too much for it, since we ended up registering the camera with the site several time before it worked correctly. I would have preferred a direct connection to MySpace, Flickr, or Photobucket, since that's usually where people post pictures on the web.

Overall, this camera is very nice, very clean, and easy to use. The wireless is a nice touch, but don't rely on it too much (not all pictures might make it in one upload, for instance). It has a great resolution and picks up on all colors in the picture. I highly recommend it for any type of user.
on February 4, 2008
This camera is a wonderful product for it's price.
PROS

It takes wonderful pictures in low light.

It is very user-friendly.

Crisp, clear pictures.

Rechargeable EN-EL8 Battery lasts forever!

Great Price!

Very Stylish and skinny.

CONS

Wi-fi is very complicated to figure out.

ON/Off button sticks out a little too far, so it turns on in your pocket sometimes.

Picture storing software that comes with the camera isn't that great.

ALL IN ALL THIS CAMERA IS A WONDERFUL PRODUCT FOR A WONDERFUL PRICE!
on December 17, 2007
When I tried to charge the camera the first time I noticed the orange indicator light did not flash as shown in the manual. The camera also would not switch on, neither with on/off switch nor review switch.
I checked every thing (charging unit, cable, etc) and finally the
Accu pack, after removing and reinserting the camera started to charge and also switched on, (I had to try this - at least for a moment)
After a week or so, the camera did not switch on again, I was
already on vacation and had no chance to charge the accu for a couple of days and my first thought was, it might be discharged completely.
Trying to charge, I had the same problem as described above - and the solution was the same: removing and reinserting the Battery pack!
Meanwhile this condition has appeared more or less once a week - I got used to it, as the camera is a real hit.
Even the setup within my wireless network was working on the first intent.
Uploading to Nikon Picturetown and even emailing the photos right away from the camera!
Picture quality is exceptional, the flash is stronger than in any other cameras I owned before. Handling is very comfortable and intuitive.

Negative: when using the cable to load photos to a computer o viewing on a TV the charging unit cannot be used - so make sure the camera is charged before. No permanent indicator of power level - only indicates when charge is low - and then time runs out pretty fast!
So my overall rating - not more than 3*
on May 31, 2008
I bought this camera because of the large rear LCD viewer, and because I had a Coolpix 4300 that took Great shots. I'm ready to sell this S50c now. I cannot get true color in lower light indoors, even with the low light settings. The pictures come out blurred and yellow. I lost an important evening event because all the pictures were blurry, too dark or grainy. This camera is not easy to navigate either. Really sorry I bought it. Not recommended.