Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Nokia HF-33W Bluetooth Plug-n-Play Car Kit
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Jake Owen Fire TV Stick Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer angrybirds angrybirds angrybirds  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

on June 6, 2007
After a week of researching all the bluetooth car kit options; I decided to go with the simple approach. The HF-33W has a small foot print, simple design yet very functional(three buttons), and complements my car's interior nicely (07 MS3). After about month of use, I find the noise suppression/echo canceling technology works great and the 2watt speakers is sufficient at max volume with windows open or radio on. Also, no complaints from others during calls. So far it has paired automatically with my phone (LG vx9900 and Moto V710) %100 of the time in about 2 seconds. In addition it works great with turn by turn voice navigation via phone GPS feature. It automatically turns on/off/pairs with the cars ignition (depends on car model).
on September 13, 2007
I really, really wanted this to work and it did somewhat for 31 days, which means I will need to send it to Nokia instead of our friends at Amazon. At first there was no hassle. It paired easily, connected within a few seconds. A few days ago it started to not connect automatically when I got into my truck as it used to, but would still connect if I requested it manually from the phone menu. Finally, two days ago it would fail to connect at all, no matter what I do. It will pair, but it just refuses to connect. (My phone will connect to other Bluetooth devices.) Well, maybe I just got a dud unit, so I will review it for the time it worked as intended.

Pros:
Convienent and easy, no annoying cord
Connects automatically once paired
My truck shuts off power to the adaptor when not running, so no worries about draining the battery
Connects to lighter, no worries about charging the unit
I could hear the other party well

Cons:
Unit's ring tone was very distorted and would cut out (not sure if it is just this defective unit)
Need to speak at a louder volume than normal to be heard clearly, but hey, it is a speakerphone afterall
Light indicating a connection is pretty tough to see in the daylight
Feels very flimsy

Neither here nor there:
Just FYI the unit is all black, the image on this page had me thinking the front panel was silver. I didn't care, but just mentioning it.

Overall:
Would fit my needs if it didn't stop connecting. Now comes the fun of factory repairs, ugh.
on August 16, 2007
This Bluetooth car kit is excellent value for its price. It is compact, and the hinge on its power plug allows it to fit a confined space. If your car's power outlets are always on, you will need to remember to unplug this every time you leave the car, to avoid running down your battery. (I do this by clipping the unit to my car keys, so I can't take the car keys out of the car without noticing that the Nokia needs to be unplugged.) The Nokia kit links with iPhone reliably - however, note that after you plug in the Nokia kit, you have to briefly turn on your iPhone for it to link; when the iPhone goes to sleep, it remains linked. You are not linked until you see the (faint) blue pilot light on the Nokia unit.
on September 21, 2007
I hoped this would replace my prior wired car kits. The speaker is inadequate. You have to be parked in a quiet area with the engine off to hear this unit and understand or be understood. You may as well park and use your handset. Don't waste your money!
on October 4, 2008
I used to have a Motorola RAZR, and that phone was crap--poor reception and slow response to keypresses. While waiting for the 1st gen iPhone to come out, I bought myself a cheap Nokia to hold me over. I was amazed at how well that Nokia worked, and that sold me on the brand.

I got this Nokia HF33W for my wife's Highlander. It's convenient because Toyotas shut down power to the lighter when they're off, so the bluetooth kit is on only when the car is on. Unfortunately, there just aren't many bluetooth kits designed to plug into the cigarette lighter--at least not from a reputable brand.

After many months of experience, I'm very disappointed with this device. First of all, you pretty much have to use the loudest speaker volume setting to hear people at a comfortable level while on the road. But that's the least of its problems. The bluetooth connection does constantly drop. This happened with both my wife's old Blackberry and her new iPhone 3G. Most of the times I call her, the calls would get dropped within a few secs of answering. She'd call me back with the handset, and there'd be no problems with that, so it's not a reception problem. The mic sensitivity is far too weak as well. On the rare occassion that I'm actually able to have a conversation through this device, her voice comes through as being very faint and distant.

Like a previous reviewer, we're going to replace this with a BlueAnt. It's too bad they don't have a model that plugs directly into the cigarette lighter.
on August 28, 2007
There are better units out there. I am returning this. What a headache! The bluetooth connection with my Razr kept dropping, sound when connected was not very clear. I'm trying the BlueAnt.
on August 27, 2007
Reasonably priced, well built and small in size. Audio - incoming and outgoing is OK, however, perhaps because loudspeaker is too small, the maximum volume attainable in rather low.
on May 20, 2008
Easy to install and it works well enough. Speaker sound quality is not great, but it is loud and understandable. Mike pickup seems to be better than my more expensive EGO Cup (also a 12 volt system). Like my other 12 volt system, how loud one must talk depends on the amount of noise in the car. Normal voice level when car is at traffic light and low speeds, and have to talk loud when on freeway, even with windows closed. However, people on receiving end say what they hear is easy to understand.

Agree with others that the unit does not feel substantial. In addition, on my car, the fit into the socket is not snug.
on August 9, 2007
This unit is very easy to use and links up quickly, the mike does not pick up voices well unless you are talking toward it. The speaker and controls are clear and easy to use. We use it daily and it performs well.
on December 24, 2007
I've bought this for my Dad, brother & myself and we love it for it's simplicity. One doesn't have to worry about batteries or actively turning it on/off, as it's based on the power to the cigarette lighter.