on August 10, 2007
This system is just absolutely awesome. Let's go into the details;

The assembly takes some time since moving the box around is heavy and the components are heavily packed. Assembling all the tower speakers takes about 5 minutes each after unpacking. Assembling the main units takes some more time since you have to be careful not to drop the DVD player. The subwoofer is pretty bulky and heavy; so much so that you would think you are setting up a concert in your house. Even with its size and bulkiness it looks very stylish and the black shiny cover just makes it looks very nice. Overall, the speakers are a bit large but very stylish due to its shiny covers. The bottom part of the speaker towers are nicely covered with this shiny black "glass looking" cover. The top parts (actual speakers) are also black but have a stylish black metal grill rather than the black fabric that most speakers come with.

The DVD player is also has this black shiny cover and it gets mounted on a tower, just like the speakers. The tower has a cabling rail so that you can hide all the cable. Now, because the DVD player is mounted on a tower and not under (or on top) your TV, you will most likely need longer cables (about 4' longer) to do all you hook ups. The DVD player has this main cable that connects to the subwoofer. The only cables that connect to the DVD player are the HDMI, (2) optical inputs, the USB and I think the Dvix (not too sure). These cables will be covered by the built in cabling rail in the stand supporting the DVD player. The powered subwoofer houses the component video input.

This system uses a new design and you will have two towers next to each other. It would have been nice if Samsung made an optional bracket so that you can lay it flat on the bottom of your TV (stand). If you have a small living room, this system will look a little big.

Now to the performance.

The sound produced from the "larger-than-most" speakers in absolutely phenomenal. The sound is strong and deep. When I first set up the system, I did not like that the subwoofer (with its size and stand alone power source) was not as loud as I wanted it. However, I must say that when playing movies, the subwoofer picks it up real well and it sounds almost intimidating. Combined with the auto-calibrated speakers, this system delivers above average sound and performance. The different sound and speaker settings will leave you satisfied and happy. I hookep up my xbox and the sound is just phenomenal when playing shooter games (the only games I play).

The DVD player up-converts up to 1080p but I was not very impressed by the picture quality. I don't think it's the system, but rather that you can't turn copper into gold. I am satisfied with the picture since some movies will look better than others. It depends on the light settings that the pictured was filmed at. The menu is very simple and user friendly. The DVD player has an information panel that displays the volume (and other info) in "retro-like" blue LED lights. Very nice.

I have a Samsung 56" HLT5687S 1080P HDTV, so this system looks very nice. If you have a 30-something to low 40" TV, this system will probably look like it overwhelms your TV.

You will love the sound and performance of this system.
66 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on August 17, 2007
I purchased the Samsung HT-TXQ120 DVD Home Theater System on Amazon.com. The box it was delivered in was HUGE, roughly 3 feet by 5 feet. Once you open the shell, there are 3 separate boxes packed inside.

Building the four speakers took about an hour. Each speaker unit consists of a circular speaker base, speaker stand, and speaker. Building the DVD/Receiver tower was also roughly the same. A circular base, stand, and receiver unit.

The speakers are very easy to connect to the back of the subwoofer. The speaker wires are nicely color coded so it is clear which wire goes into the appropriate part on the subwoofer.

I purchased the Wireless Receiver Module because I did not want wires going from the speaker system to my rear speakers. Unfortunately, I found out the hard way that the instructions on how to hook up the wireless module in the manual are wrong. I called Samsung, and it took a Level 2 technician to inform me that the instructions are completely wrong, and told me the correct way to make the wireless module synch with my Samsung Home Theater System.

The biggest problem I have with this speaker system is a rather major problem. I can not watch HDTV and have the audio on my Home Theater system work.

The way I have it setup is as follows (which is a typical setup). The coaxial cable comes from the wall and into the cablebox. An HDMI wire then goes from the cablebox into the Samsung HT Receiver. An HDMI wire then goes from the Receiver into the Television. When I turn on the TV (also a brand new Samsung LCD) and turn on the cable box and Home Theater System, I got a message that there is a weak signal. The screen will eventually display an image, but it is only their temporarily, and the audio cuts in and out periodically. Keep in mind that when the HDMI cable is fed from the cablebox into the TV, the signal is strong and fine. The signal and audio only breaks when it is fed through the Samsung HT-TXQ120 System.

I called Samsung twice about this problem. They believe that it may be a problem with the Comcast supplied cablebox. They said the problem may be that this sytem suports HDCP (High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection), and that the cable box does not.

Therefore, it appears that I have a Home Theater System that is so technically advanced that it will not work with an "ordinary" cable box. Of course Comcast said that the newer boxes are scarce..so as of right now, I am stuck with a $1200+ Home Theater system that I can not use to watch cable TV on.

I have been able to play DVDs on this system, however. They are in 480p, and my understanding is that the DVD does NOT upconvert it to 1080 resolution like many of Samsung's rivals. But the picture quality is adequate and the audio is fine.

For the size of the subwoofer, it's output is fairly unimpressive.

I'll update this once I find out if its the cablebox that is really the problem. If it's not, then this system is malfunctioning.
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on January 2, 2008
I recently bought this Samsung home theater system and I am quite impressed with it. I went through the other reviews and I totally agree with them and I will try to cover areas that haven't been discussed before.
Highlighting some of the cons I found:

- Does not support AnyNet+: I bought this system along with a Samsung 50" Plasma (picture quality is way better than LCD), but to my surprise, the TXQ120 does not support Samsung's own universal control system, Anynet+ (check it out on Samsung's web site)

-Does not have enough inputs: In addition to the home theater, I also have an Xbox 360, a set top box and an HD DVD player (Toshiba). The problem is that the TXQ120 has 1 HDMI in, 1 HDMI out, and 1 composite input and 2 digital audio inputs. I had to do some tricks to get it to work using the audio output from the TV.

-USB interface: quite slow and not very intuitive.

-The sound isn't as good as expected: at this price level and size of the speakers, I had higher expectations. I placed the unit in a 350 sq. ft room and I don't feel the sound filling the room, and I also don't find the audio effects outrageously good, but overall better than average.

Overall, a good home theater system but a bit overpriced and requires a minor update (Anynet support, some extra inputs like an extra HDMI, etc...)
on October 10, 2007
When I went out to look for a home theater system I never expected to be bring something like this unit home. It is a bit overwhelming for my home, but I wanted something fantastic to go with the 52 inch Sony Plasma I had recently purchaced also.
It has 1000 watts of power-wow-4 tall boy speakers that I can jam in the corners of the apartment. It is a 5.1 channel, one DVD at a time, CD/CD-R/CD-RW, DVD/DVD±R/DVD±RW. I can also plug my MP3 player into the front of the unit and my Ipod to play music. It also has a JPEG viewer (haven't got to that yet) The subwoofer is small, heavy and blasts the floor until it shakes.
It was really simple to put together. Instructions were good (a grade schooler can get to know the functions easy) I have a HDMI input from the receiver to the TV, so the picture is wonderful too.
I also like the idea that it is wireless ready.
To my liking, I rate it a 4--it was a bit expensive, but I made the choice.
on October 14, 2012
Well folks, I purchased this HT system in 2007 and am still using it today. I want you all to keep in mind that as of this review, my sound system has gone through 2 local moves (Apartment to Apartment) and one over seas (shipping container) move. Despite that it's still going strong! Does it meet today's technical specs on comparable systems? Technically...no. According to Retrevo.com this Samsung system is due for retirement, I beg to differ. It all depends on one's needs. If you absolutely need a built in BD player with your HTS then yes, you don't need this system and/or you should dump it if ya got it. If your like most folks and you no have a NAS or some DLNA streaming device (Hpme PC, etc.) then I recommend keeping this system or purchasing one if someone is dumping it. I basically use this system for it's sound, nothing else. No need for ARC, multiple HDMI inputs, BD player, Full 1080p, etc.
This system is sturdy and robust with very good sound quality, surpassing that of today's 1000 Watt Home Theater systems. In fact I was out looking and sampling systems today, which prompted me to write this review. Whether it was the Panasonic SC-BTT770PXK, Sony BDV-N790WPX ans Samsungs own HT-E6500W. Yes they have cool features and even dock your iPod but the construction is cheap looking and cheap feeling. NOT ROBUST. Electronically it's more advanced but the housing on speakers, wireless box and BD unit all seem flimsy and cheap. So, It is apparent to me that we are now paying for the technological advancements at a sacrifice of integrity and longevity. I have had my system for 5 years now, 3 moves and it's still kicking ass.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on May 14, 2008
A little pricy but well worth it. The system offers so many features and options it is crazy good. The wireless module however must be purchased seperatley but well worth it. The speakers offer the option of also hanging on the wall which I did and put the bases in a trash bag and in the attic. The DVD player works pretty awesome. One thing you may want to do is clean the DBD lense before using. My lense had a little dust on it. I have a the Samsung LN52A650 52-inch 1080p 120Hz LCD HDTV with RED Touch of Color and the Samsung Blu-Ray BD-1400 player also. All items can be operated with one remote with the samsung anynet activated.
on March 18, 2008
I am a very big name brand audio fan. I have owned the best. BOSE, Cerwin Vega, Etc. This is by far the best deal for the money you will find. I was absolutely stunned by the sound of this system. I did not expect the performance from a Samsung (no offense), but I got much more than I expected. What an incredible system!!
on June 26, 2007
For a home theater in a box this is AMAZING! Well worth the $$, The expeirence I had watching Saving Private Ryan was out of this world. I felt as If i was on the beach with these guys being shot at. I was veiwing it on a Samsung H-LT6189S. This Surround Sounds finish also matches the piano black finish you will find on the Samsung DLP Tv's. Enjoy! Worth the $$ and then some. Great job Samsung
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...

See 1 answered question