Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Bob Dylan Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Get Ready for Summer and Save 15% The Baby Store Shop now Amazon Cash Back Offer DrThorne DrThorne DrThorne  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $149.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Outdoor Recreation

on December 14, 2007
I am a hunter and I process the game I take myself. This boning knife was just what I needed to speed the process along. I recently processed a 100 lb. hog. The knife was flexible and narrow which allowed me to get the most from the bone. The handle was easy to grip. The blade held a good edge through the entire hog, I did not need to stop and steel the blade.

I used it the following week to process a deer with the same good experience.

At this great price how can you go wrong.
11 comment|111 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 26, 2008
America's Test Kitchen recommended this boning knife and they were right. This knife is sharp straight out of the package. I used it the first time to cut the silver skin from some beef and it was so easy using this knife. The sharp point and long thin blade enabled me to get right under the silver skin and I did not cut into the meat itself. I was able to cut neatly and precisely where I wanted to due to the comfortable handle and sharp blade. Why pay a fortune for a boning knife when this one gets the job done quick and neat. Good job America's Test Kitchen and thanks R H Forschner for making another affordable but quality product.
on January 7, 2012
You can spend a fortune on a good set of kitchen knives. There are the much vaunted Wusthof and Henckel lines that home cooks fawn over (and some cooking professionals malign due to their heavy weight and high maintenance), as well as the super-high end knives that start at $300 and go up from there. Don't get me wrong, I own a set of Wusthof Classic knives and appreciate their quality. However when filleting a fish or breaking down a chicken, I was running into dangerous situations as the smooth handle on my Wusthof would grow slick and slippery from handling the raw fish/poultry.

I wound up buying the Victorinox Forschner after a positive review on America's Test Kitchen. It truly is the intersection of price and quality. While it has a stamped blade rather than a forged one like my German knives, it is a workhorse in the kitchen and has not let me down. The ribbed handle provides a much better grip than my other knives, which has relieved my worries about cutting myself when handling raw meats. Overall it is a great purchase for the money.
on September 22, 2008
Boning is not something I do often so it makes no sense to buy a boning knife...well not for a high price. I find this a great addition to my premium knives and worth the investment for this special task...also works great for filleting.
on January 21, 2009
Had I known it was possible to fall in love with a set of knives, I would have given up my eharmony membership long ago. (Just kidding) I have a set of Calphalon Contemporary knives and thought they were great. After reading an online review at a reputable cooking site however, I bought this set for a friend. (Price to quality ratio was well-reviewed) OMG, everything you cut is like butta (except for butter itself which is like watta) Whether you buy the set or just the pieces you need, I cannot recommend these knives enough.

Oh, and though I love them to much to do so, I believe they are dishwasher safe.
on December 16, 2007
Opened the knife from the package, and it was perfectly sharp. It fits in the hand well, and cuts well. America's Test Kitchen suggested the knives for price and quality, and to me they were right on every aspect.
on September 22, 2009
I've always used my (fish) filleting knife for most everything except chopping veggies b/c its edge remains razor-sharp through years of happy use. Given my affection for the type of blade, I decided to purchase the Vic when it received such a good review in Cook's. Even though it's called "flex" the knife is stiff enough to bone any cut of meat and the edge is amazing sharp, certainly on par with my old fave. Assuming it continues to holds its edge, this item is a tremendous bargain. I've returned my fish knife to its intended, limited use.
VINE VOICEon February 8, 2010
First, being a bit of a traditionalist, I much prefer a solidly crafted forged blade to a stamped one. But this knife was highly recommended by Cook's Illustrated, along with a number of other knives in this line. I was curious to see if such an inexpensive line of knives could compete with the very expensive knives which I am used to using. Since I was in the market for a boning knife I decided to order this knife to evaluate the Victorinox line.

While it will vary from person to person, I find the handle slightly uncomfortable to hold. It seems a little bulky, especially for the application. On the other hand, the blade appears to be very well suited to the task at hand, and this may be an application in which a heavier forged blade is at some disadvantage. The blade is flexible, but not overly so. Initial sharpness is good, as is the blade shape. It has a good sharp tip for piercing silver skin.

I have only had this knife for a short time, and I look forward to seeing how it will hold up. Will it hold its edge? Will the tip break when it hits one bone too many? Will I ever get used to the clunky feeling handle? Time will tell, and I will share these things here as I learn them. But at this point I would recommend this knife to anyone looking for an inexpensive but effective boning knife. Over time I plan to try the rest of the knives in this line. It will be interesting to see if I can replace a $2000 set of knives with a $200 set and be happy with the change.

While I will never lose my love of the beauty and craftsmanship of a set of fine forged knives, Victorinox/Forschner is offering an interesting practical alternative to the "work of art" knives we have grown to love. Interestingly, All Clad cookware is facing a similar challenge from low cost multi-ply cookware.
on February 23, 2015
WOW! I wasn't sure about this knife. I needed a good boning knife for both deer and fish (and everything in between!). I finally got a chance to use it and I was cutting very cold (partly frozen) deer meat to make jerky.

This knife - wow - all I had to do was start the cut and pull - it pulled through the meat as if it were butter and held it's edge for the entire hour or so of cutting.

Having a sharp, flexible knife that holds its edge (high carbon steel) is so important when trimming or doing precise cuts - this knife made it so easy to trim the silverskin with precision!

Also, and as others have remarked, the handle design is very ergonomic and the knife has a very good balance to it - I never got fatigued using it. The handle is a plastic-type material, which is good when cutting raw meats.

If you're going to use this knife, I highly recommend using a cutting glove -- it's extremely sharp! And for crying out loud - keep it in a knife block or similar!

I highly recommend this knife - you will NOT be disappointed!
on July 15, 2013
this knife does a great job, even though I am far from a pro when it comes to splitting a chicken or deboning anything else, for that matter. It does a great job of fileting thumbs, too, so BE Careful! The second time I used this little sweety, it slipped as I was making my last cut, taking a chunk of my thumb with it!