on November 9, 2014
I purchased this computer new back in May 2007 for $599. For me this computer has been great. The only issue I have had with it in almost 8 years is that the LCD light bulb got burned out about 3 years ago, it went out around 17000 working hours. as I write this review on this product my laptop is now nearing 28,000 hours of power on time. (Note: the power on time is read from my hard drive which is a hitachi).
I loved this computer so much that I decided to purchase another one for replacement parts, as I expect things will be breaking in the near future. (Note: many little plastic pieces have cracked due to time, and miss handling from me).
Note: the other one that I was referring that I purchased for parts, I actually got it from ebay in an auction for .99 cents plus shipping. They said it was broken... (well it was not broken, it was just very dirty, and had a shorted battery).
Now I have 2 MT3707 computers. This second one has about 15000 power on hours on it.
Note: I have managed to place Linux OS--> Mint 17 on it. and it runs smooth.
Note: What is interesting is that both of these computers came with different processors.procesors
My original computer came with T2060 1.6GHz processor., and samsun 1gb memory (its been upgraded to t5600 processor, and 2gb ddr ram).
While the second one i purchased came with T2300 1.66GHz processor , and hynex 1gb memory(superior in many things especially with memory intensive activities vs t2060).
1) amazing keyboard, 8 years alot of wear and yet the letters are very visible. just like day 1, and silky smooth, and no missing keys!
2) amazing track pad/mouse pad. Best I have seen second to apple! it has its own section just for scrolling. it is actually designed as 2 track pads. ( I recently learned that while using linux! it appears that when you eliminate edge scroll that portion becomes a vertical only track pad!), and this pad recognizes 2 fingers at the same time! ( with mint 17 I managed to set it up just like apples track pad!).
3) cd/dvd players work perfect still after so many years.
4) battery near 8 years of life still has 10% of life still. (hence I installed it on the new computer I got for 99 cents!)
5) amazing speakers! very loud. I really havent heard any as loud as mines, even those that come with "beats from dre" stay shy of the peak power of the sound from this laptop.
The Bad of these computers:
1) the screen is not very good at showing dark images.
2) battery life is at most 2.5 hrs! that is with light tasks, I never been able to watch a full movie on battery.
3) not the best materials! especially around the screen. (it cracks after a few years!)
4) in my first few years I was replacing chargers yearly! ( the connecting tip would break the internal wires, and short it self).
Now a days I dont go to school any more with it, so it move alot less so the last 3-4 years the adapters have lasted with no problems.
5) no camera, nor microphone built in. (sucks for skype calls!)
6) horrible wifi antenna. (very poor range). I would love to change the chip on this but I don't know which one to purchase! (worst in its class, based on range!).. the good is that it connects to almost any network with little to no issues!
The best thing about keeping this laptop is that it amazes just about anyone who I tell them I have had it for such a long time.
and it keeps up "well" with my day to day activities. I have my original one running on Windows 7 ultimate 32bit these days (for the past 4+ years it has had windows7).
My computer runs:
1) itunes (no problems at all)
2) Microsoft office (mainly excel and word)
3) firefox and internet explorer at the same time, with multi tabs.
4) watch netflix and other movies using VLC player. (while doing all those other task at the same time).
5) write programs and compile them using netbeans.
6) plus other random stuff... (this is my uses now adays).... It used to run photoshop, and pspice, matlab,music editing software, and other expensive programs from adobe with no issues.
1) Oh and the dude that said get a netbook instead of this, has not ever turned on a netbook in his life. ( there is no comparison, net book struggle with just about everything).
2) I have had friends tell me to change my laptop becasue its old when I used to go to school, and they did a comparison why their new HP xxxx is soo much better. (Note: best thing was battery life!)... well this was a another engineer/programmer that went to school with me. and now he just laugh every time I show up to his house with my computer, amazed that my computer is still running windows 7 and it runs great while his new computer had to be moved to linux OS because it could not run windows anymore. (and he had to claim warranty 2 times because of hard drive failures and mother board burning!).
on December 4, 2012
i've owned this laptop for a few years, it has been great, i loved everything about it, but now ,whith only 1GB memory i keep getting message to delete some add ons. i play alot of online games, and it does great. if you're looking for a first computer or just dont need alot of space, i would highly recommend it. i love it, just wish it had more memory.
on May 23, 2010
I've owned this model for 3 years now. I was never very happy with it in the first place. It had only 1 GB of memory when I bought it, which I upgraded to 2 GB so that I would be able to run the suckey Windows Vista OS that it came with. I've suffered through having my roommate give it heat damage & also, while I haven't used the DVD drive a lot, I want it to work when I do use it. Recently it has gone out, which is prompting me to look for a new laptop. This model has more power than a net book, but not hardly enough to be of much use to me. I'm a college student & casual gamer; also, I like to burn DVDs & do photo editing. I've dealt with it, but it's not been an enjoyable fit for me. I ended up having to replace the AC power cord at least twice. Also, for as little power as it actually gives, the battery life is pretty bad... only about 2 1/2 hours... but only if you're not running *anything*. Start running programs & the battery life may decrease down to 1 1/2 hours or even just 1 hour. I would not recommend this model to anyone. For about $300, you can get a much better model than this. For less, you can get a netbook that does about the same as what this is *actually* good for.