Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Bose Lifestyle VS2 Video Enhancer
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Jake Owen Fire TV Stick Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer angrybirds angrybirds angrybirds  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

on November 16, 2007
on April 29, 2009
I, like many others, had heard and experienced great things from Bose. The sad fact is that Bose has failed in its endeavor to bring the lifestyle series up to date with their competitors. This VS2 adds HDMI to any lifestyle series (except for series I), however, as the customer service rep from Bose explained: it is only a VIDEO enhancer. This means to us, the consumer, that we still need to use coaxial or optical hook up for sound, and if you have the lifestyle 28 series III that means you only have one digital input source. I also found the video enhancer to be incompatible with my XBR7 as while it was hooked up I somehow lost the audio digital out signal. Once I removed the very much useless 'enhancer' I regained sound. You are better off using your HDMI ports on your HD tv directly and using the single digital input provided by your lifestyle system as your sound source for all. In the world of HD the consumer should never be limited in choices and by disallowing the use of HDMI for picture AND sound Bose has lost yet another customer. I warn you to buy at your own risk. Item is highly unnecessary.
on August 5, 2014
I got this from a local (seen better days) Home Theater shop that was closing down. This was on markdown for $133 compared to $359 I've seen this thing on here. My inner A/V nutty told me not to pass this up, and after getting all giggly, this is where things got weird.

Most ppl are complaining that this does not send through audio from any RCA input or HDMI. BEING THIS READS VIDEO UPSCALER; look at the jacks, all video jacks and no audio, cept HDMI which should carry audio but does not (we'll get to that later). To get video from this and audio that syncs properly, I've found a remedy for it but it may be confusing for non AV techies and casual users.

PLEASE READ CAREFULLY!!!

YOU WILL NEED:

1x Boise VS-2 Video Enhancer (obviously)

1x HDMI switcher

A diagram/schematic for routing inputs and etc.

1x AV recover of your choice for sound.

1x Switcher box for S-Video

1x Switcher box for Composite

1x Switcher box for Component (Yes, you need to buy moar shat but this is how to get things working right if you suckered into buying this)

LOTS OF TIME AND PATIENCE!!

For HDMI, DO NOT use this for expanding HDMI inputs, get a regular HDMI switcher for expanding ports to send to your receiver for video and multichannel sound if that's what you bought this for (cheap on here for about $7-$30 if you know which good one to get; also, this switcher comes useful for the later step). If using this unit the analog inputs for HDMI upconverted output, listen to what you need to do next. This thing has three inputs each for Composite, S-Video, and Component YBpbR, you only need one of the ports and here's why. You will need three switcher boxes for the Composite, S-Video, and Component inputs and send all VIDEO inputs connected to each box to their respective ports (S-Video signal through switcher goes to S-Video port on the VS2, repeat for Composite & Component) We will need to repeat a similar step for the audio inputs connected to the switchers for the receiver, which we'll get to. One you get that bit with the VS2 and the switchers set, send its HDMI out to your receiver (if it has enough HDMI inputs and the proper HDCP handshake babble), or if you have other HDMI plugs holding up room, send it through the HDMI switcher with your other inputs to your receivers only HDMI input.

Your AV receiver should have multiple inputs for the red and white RCA inputs, and they can be assigned to sync with the HDMI video signal if desired (which of course it IS). This is where you need a diagram. When using an S-video source etc. on the VS2 with its HDMI to the switcher to the receiver, to make things easier to remember its audio from the switcher box should be sent to the receiver via Aux 1. Then for the HDMI signal on the receiver, select HDMI audio -- AUX 1. This will make your desired switcher boxes audio sync with the video from the VS2 to the HDMI switcher/receiver. Repeat this step for switching Composite and Component inputs from the VS2, but with Aux 2 or 3 etc. for the receiver. If you plan to use coaxial or optical audio with the video source, connect said audio inputs to receiver and repeat above steps.

Weew, LONG PARAGRAPH!! After figuring out what is what and how to route a and z, I'm all set up playing SMB Melee on GC via component @ improved 720P. On a positive note, video upscaling from Component is flat out amazing! (except 1080i, nasty a$$ ghosting everywhere) No odd color/contrast tweaking and no interlacing artifacts and jaggies. YUP, this thing smooths out jaggies pretty well (almost like a PS3 HD collection version of a game, there's still some minor ones but nothing severe). DVD players and such do improve, but why have them when you gots a PS3 or BD player that upscales it for much cheaper! Don't expect a great amount from S-Video and Composite, but they do display a reasonable improvement (they still have inherent artifacts such as dot crawl, rainbow banding etc.) Despite the overly complicated routing process, I'm happy with this setup and I'm selling my old Composite and Component HDMI converters to my friend who just went into the HDMI age with a new LCD.
on December 4, 2012
I bought bose Lifestyle system without VS2. I then purchased this "paperweight" for $300. I am running long HDMI to TV because I put all Bose & Cable equipment in closet (out of sight). HDMI on this unit is not up to 1.3 HDMI standard and it usually does not send video signal at all, and when it does finally "handshake", it is not stable and picture will come and go. Also, audio doesn not transmit through HDMI after going through VS2. Of course this would have been ok since I was going to use the Bose Lifestyle III for sound. I get video from DVD player, but not from cable or Directv box. So, I have to manually switch HDMI from VS2 to cable box to watch cable, and switch HCDM cables to watch DVD. WHAT A WATSE OF TIME AND ENERGY!!!!
on February 18, 2014
The VS-2 does an ample job of video up-conversion, and is easy to set up and run on your lifestyle system. The primary, glaring and foolish omission is that the unit is not an audio switcher. I cannot figure this out for a second. Why do HDMI switching with no audio? The Lifestyle system is limited to 1 digital optical input, so I thought they were finally addressing this issue here. It is a very disappointing discovery, and makes it hard to justify the extra money over the VS-1.!!!!!!!!!!!
on March 5, 2012
The Enhancer is easy to hook up and can be located on the back of a cabinet or the wall. One now has the capability to use HDMI cables to receive video input from the cable box and then send the signal to the TV via HDMI. Thr drawback is the Enhancer only handles video and not sound. A separate sound connection must also be made. The enhancer also has recepticles for the VCR, CD and other devices by way of RCA type plugs
on February 27, 2016
Big let down. I love bose stuff. BUT as others have noted, this doesn't pass audio thru the HDMI.
This means your source audio MUST run to the lifestyle head unit.
Luckily, I ran optic cable from my TV to my closet where the head unit will live.
Unfortunately, because of this, the unit won't be as useful for combining remotes, or onscreen menus.
SO, BIG waste of money. It's a brick in the back of my closet.
on October 6, 2013
it works. bought it as a replacement for a 2.5-year old one that just stopped working one day. unfortunately, there was no way around since our home theatre system is wired this way. I wish the original product lasted a bit longer... the good news is that the product didn't change at all in 3 years so it was easy to hook up.
on May 12, 2013
I bought the VS2 to try to minimize the rat's nest of cables behind my equipment shelf. What I didn't know was that it only handles video; audio must be sent through separate cables. It is also very unsightly, as all the cable connections are on top of the unit, in plain view. Once I had it all wired up as well as possible, I was using more cables than before, not fewer. It now sits on my junk shelf.
on March 9, 2009
Own the Bose Lifestyle 48 with the VS 2 Video Enhancer,1st VS 2 didn't work couldn't get signal from VS 2 to TV sent it back and Bose replaced it,2nd one worked.One year later decided to upgrade my TV,bought a 63" Samsung plasma TV,and a Sony Playstation now I find when I use the HDML cables from the VS 2 to the playstation and to the TV and to the cable reciever I don't get a picture.Called Bose couldn't fix the problem told me the bose had to be turned off and on for it to work,they called it handshaking problems with the VS 2 and couldn't fix it.Told me to switch to differnt cable hookup or I had to play the handshaking game.