Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: GlobalSat DG-100 USB Datalogger
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer showtimemulti showtimemulti showtimemulti  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

Package Type: Standard Packaging|Change

on October 7, 2008
To be clear: This is a logger, not a navigation device. There is NO WAY to see your position(s) without connecting to a computer! This is by design.

I got the DG-100 mainly (solely?) for geotagging photos. I received it at worked, charged it on my work computer and left it on driving home. It was crazy-accurate, even showing my lane changes. Once I changed the settings to track altitude, I found that the altitude is not very accurate, so I turned it off. I believe that is a problem inherent to this entire category of devices, not this particular unit though.

EDIT: After reviewing log files, the altitude is accurate when you get a couple more satellites. If you filter out logs with only three or four satellite locks, the altitude is fine. End edit.

I geotagged a bunch of test photos, and it took me a long time to get that right. I had to use the Globalsat software to export the GPX file, after which point you can use any software you want to work with that file. The manual wasn't much help to me; I basically had to trial-and-error it. My problem was that the "Export to GPX" was buried in a menu, rather than one of the more obvious toolbar choices (which are KML, CSV, or TXT). Once I got that right, I saved the GPX to my photo folder and used Google's GPicSync to tag the photos. It worked perfectly, and tagged the RAW files as well as JPGs (I use Canon 400D). All in all, within an hour of sitting down with the device I had tagged photos, and now that I know the process, it'll only take a few minutes at the end of each day of shooting.

Edit: The Globalsat software cuts your logs into chunks of between 40 and 65 tags (advertised as 95? I haven't gotten 95 yet). You have to load the files, check them or select all from file menu, then load map points from Map menu, THEN export. This will export the points from all of the files, not just one, to the GPX. Cumbersome, but workable. Also, with Windows Vista the provided Prolific driver failed after I restarted. I uninstalled, let Windows find new hardware and search for the driver on the internet. That driver continues to work. End edit.

Note: Older versions of this software did not export to GPX. Throw the CD that comes with it away and download the latest version, and it works fine.

Pros:
Charges through USB (also optional car charger)
Very accurate (to be expected with SiRF III chipset, any SiRF III device should be equally accurate)
Three fully-customizeable modes
Push-button manual logging
Long-life, chargeable batteries, or regular AAs if you have to
Physically very solid build. I'm not afraid to throw it in my rucksack pocket and go hiking. (Edit: I have since dropped it. The battery cover popped off, but nothing broke and it works. However, I'm concerned that the battery cover is a weak point. I'd like to find out if Globalsat offers parts, so I can get a couple covers to spare. I'm pretty sure I'll drop it a few more times in its life. End edit)
Can be used as GMouse. Not useful to me, but if you need it, it's there.

Cons:
Included software works, but is clunky (Edit: after a few days of practice, it's second nature now. End edit)
Included software does not directly geotag photos (but this is minor, since exporting to GPX and then using GPicSync or other software is very easy)
No bluetooth

Edit: As of December 2011 I still use this every day, now with Win7, and it still works fine.
on August 3, 2007
I bought this device a few weeks ago and I'm really happy with it: the produced GPS data is very accurate and the batteries held more than 30 hours of logging. The Windows Software that comes with it is ok, not great but functional. There are also some open source tools so that you even can make it work under Linux and maybe even Mac OS X (altough I didn't test that myself, I gave up because the USB-Driver made problems under Mac OS X). During a city trip to Munich I was using the DG-100 while taking pictures with my Canon EOS 400D and after this imported the pictures to Gallery2. Now a map shows all the places where I took pictures in Munich, amazing! If you need a step-by-step guide to geotag your pictures with GPS data from this device and how to use Gallery2 to show them on a map, you might want to read my blog on squix.ch Just have fun with it!
on March 30, 2016
I was looking for a device to use to geotag my photos. I chose this solution due to price, battery life and the inclusion of rechargeable batteries. Overall, I am happy with it, but knocked a star off for the software. Here is a quick summary:

The Good:
It just works
It seems to be accurate
Can easily switch between three different capture intervals
Long battery life (30 hours, I have not test this fully yet.)
Easy to output a variety of different GPS formats like GPX

The Bad:
It charges via USB which is good, but there is really no way to tell when it is fully charged. You just plug it in for a while and wait. Not idea.
If you change the capture intervals, you need to restart the unit. Not really painful but annoying
The software - The included software is terrible. The open source software [...] is somewhat better, but it is still a bit unstable. However, it does offer the flexibility of outputting in a variety of formats

In summary, this device works fine, but has some limitations. All that said, you have to remember that this device costs less than $50. I am happy with my purchase and it has worked great with Adobe Lightroom 6 for geotagging.
on May 5, 2016
What is this garbage? The software only works on operating systems that are years old, and when you find a computer that it will work on, it's the worst software ever, with ridiculous configuration needs incredibly intuitive, and very hard to get work. Plus constant pop-up errors. I had a much better AMOD tracker back in 2008 - the hardware was built much better as well. Unfortunately they don't make that anymore.

Sorely disappointed. For the money they are charging for this cheaply made product, it should have excellent software where you just plug it in and read the files off of it as if it's an external drive or memory storage, just like I used to with my old device years ago.
on December 6, 2013
This is EXACTLY what I wanted. For Battery life, just recently 2 AA lasted me about 26hrs. And according to the PC based software(more on the later) it records GPS points at predetermined intervals. Last year i used it on a cruise, and just left it in a plastic bag on the balcony. then put it in my shore bag for excursions. And a few weeks ago I took it on a 3K mile road trip. I only used 4 AA batteries for the entire road trip and i even forgot to turn it off one night in the hotel.

I highly suggestion getting DGManager for using the device. Its far superior than the junk it's packaged with. In the software, you find the "Port" the device is plugged into. For my pc the usb port was "Port 10." you import your data from the device, which is organized by segments of travel ( the device creates a new data set every time it loses a gps signal or powered off for a about 10 seconds). Then the software can superimpose the data points on an interactive google maps, show you speeds and distances, and also group several data sets into one big group. We took the 20 or so data sets from our 1 week cruise and grouped them into one big data file, and about 5 data sets into the road trip file.

and yes, there is no display on the device. You don't need it. just power on and throw in the top of your bag.
review image review image review image review image review image
on May 6, 2016
I've had so many problems connecting this thing to my mac, the software is just awful. That being said, once you figure out how to get it to work and you get over all of the syncing and configurations problems, it's really a fantastic GPS logger. It stores a lot of data points and is very accurate. I'm using it for geotagging photos and it's a good cheap alternative to buying an expensive GPS camera unit.
on April 11, 2010
The transfer software from device to computer must be improved.
It doesn't work properly on Windos 7 OS.
Already available a third-party software called DGManager
[...]
on January 30, 2013
this works very well. Had to use a online toolbox to get it to work with Google Earth, but more accurate than I thought it would be.
on January 19, 2016
When will you have more avaliable? I need 6 more!
on March 13, 2016
Works great. Download info. mediocre.