Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PME Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro

Product Packaging: Standard Packaging|Change

on July 4, 2012
I bought this little guy to use with my Kenwood TM-D710A dual band ham radio. After cutting off the PS2 connector and soldering on a 1/8" headphone connector (and wiring up a 5V regulator in my car) I was good to go. This thing draws so little current, I just leave it on all the time and I don't have to wait for a lock time when I head off.

Works perfectly with my APRS setup and should work well for other things too. I will probably buy another on later this year for my high altitude balloon project.

I should also note that the receive did come with a wiring diagram with wire colors and pin locations called out, so you could use the connector or cut it off easily.
on March 1, 2008
I got this unit because it was recommended for a Nikon GPS project. The instructions required this puck to be ripped up and the working innards to be relocated to a tiny project box along with Nikon's MC35 cable innards. I am happy to report that this is a snappy SIRF Star III device which now contributes to lat long and UTC time stamps on the EXIF data on my Nikon D300..
on May 28, 2011
Compact SiRF Star III-based GPS mouse. Works with SiRFDemo PC program as well as other host GPS packages. This is firmware flashable. Serial and USB versions work equally well. The serial version has a serial cable yet it still requires some kind of power cabled to this serial cable. You can modify the cable and connector or purchase an adapter dongle that provides a DB-9 and power feature. The USB version needs no additional cables or connectors- just plug it in a USB port.
on September 29, 2012
I bought this unit after I read the other review about using it with a TM-D710A. This unit works superbly, and acquires FAST. Really fast. All you need to do is provide it with 5V and hook up the serial lines to the radio's 3/32" GPS cable, and you're good to go.

A 7805 regulator is cheap and easy for providing 5V from your vehicle's DC system. I used a small breadboard to wire it all up and stuffed everything in a small plastic box. Works like a charm for my mobile APRS/Digipeater setup.

(Edited to Add): The magnet in the base is not very strong at all, so be aware of that
on May 20, 2014
Bought the BR-355 gps puck almost two years ago to connect my Marine VHF radio to be able to use the MMSI emergency function. Works great and has been for two years. Picks up satellites quickly. Had to order the optional PS2 style cable and cut the end of to connect to radio. Also ordered a small power supply to power up the unit.
on May 10, 2015
This is a terrific device to add GPS functionality to VHF marine radios which have the NMEA signal input wires at the rear of the radio. Purchase this serial version of this device, add a 12-volt to 5 volt regulator and connect this up to your radio and to a 12-volt supply from your boat. Don't forget that voltage converter because this device expects 5-volts, not 12-volts! You'll need to snip off the PS-2 style connector and expose the wires. Search online and you'll find the wiring diagram for this device. Follow the wiring diagram for power in and signal out. As for the voltage regulator, if you look hard enough you'll find a smaller, compact inline converter that fits the bill quite nicely.
on August 10, 2014
Not such a good device, it works then it quites. The device/hardware is not the issue, it is the driver. The S/W driver is not bulletproof and using this for navigation on a yacht, with your PC and a Nav package is NOT a good idea, the driver will quit without warning and usually when you need it most in a tight spot. I replaced this with one from Rosepoint and it had a driver that was tested and bulletproof for use with Windows 7 and 8. It, worked perfectly.
on August 2, 2013
I don't have a chart plotter on my boat so I used this inexpensive receiver to provide GPS data (NMEA-0183) to my marine VHF radio. I simply cut the connector off and hard wired the receiver to a 5VDC supply (a little buck regulator I bought on amazon) and the radio's data buss. It quickly locked on to satellites and maintained reception no matter where I located the "puck" INSIDE my fiberglass boat. Worked great.
on September 16, 2013
I bought this to use as the speed sensor for a boat cruise control with an Arduino Mega 2560 board as the controller. It took me a while to figure out that this spits out a 5V RS232 signal (-5V to +5V) and my Arduino can only read TTL (0V to +5V). I added an inexpensive RS232 to TTL converter between the two and everything came to life. I am able to read and manipulate any piece of GPS data that comes out of the serial stream.

Here's a link to the converter I used. I removed the 9-pin connector and hard wired it for my own selfish purposes.
RS232 to TTL converter board DCE with Female DB9 3.3V to 5V

I have this one for testing and installed the GlobalSat MR350P permanently through a hole in the fiberglass in my boat. I love these things. I can switch back and forth between the two and my Arduino doesn't know the difference.
Globalsat Waterproof External Mount GPS Receiver without USB Cable Set - Globalsat MR350P
on May 3, 2015
After cutting off the connector and providing a very inexpensive 5 VDC power supply, the GPS receiver works very well with my ICOM 7100.radio. The TX and RX have to be swapped either at the GPS or going into the radio.

See 1 answered question