on November 24, 2007
This IRiver Clix is about my 5th player in the last couple years.
In my latest search for the newest and the best, a GREAT FM tuner was high on my priority list. I exercise every morning for about 30 minutes. After a while no matter what mp3s I have loaded, they start sounding a bit tired. I began to listen to FM a lot and started getting annoyed at how many few stations come thru clear on my Samsung 4 gig flash player, if at all. After reading tons of reviews I was led to this IRiver player. WOW it's really REALLY a great player. The FM tuner is by far the best I have heard on any player Truly. I had two Cowons and they were THE worst! I think some companies JUST add FM just so it appears to have more features than an Ipod. In Cowon's case it's mostly just hiss that you hear. I am not knocking Cowon they do make some GREAT sounding players overall, JUST not for FM! Back to the Clix..the tuner is strong and gets a ton of stations I never got before. The GUI is just awesome..and surprisingly this thing is very easy and comfortable to operate with just 1 hand! If you are stationary and can use two hands, to me this has the best interface of any current player. It sounds CLEAR as a bell..the eq works well seems to add no distortion unlike the famous ipods! The screen is SO sharp and you can view it at any angle..both in the sun and at night. I just love this thing...and I will soon be selling my Samsung 4 gig player in favor of the Clix 2.

Having used the player more I have to comment about the battery life. I LOVE the player but was also surprised I think I only got about 6 hours of total battery life initially. However, I realized this 8gig model came with the screen ON by default, for 1 minute. That's WAAAY too long. With any new device you will want to mess with it a lot..so I guess that 1 minute screen ON was much too long. I have now set the BACK LIGHT now to 10 seconds and the battery seems to last MUCH MUCH longer. I saw a comment on a 4 gig Clix about changing SLEEP, to POWER DOWN I will try that as well. Don't know why IRIVER would ship this with the screen ON for 1 minute but lowering it to 10 seconds or even 5 ought to help the battery life out a ton. Other than that this player and IRiver are Quite solid and great! Actually the more I use it the more I love this player. But if you buy one be sure to change the back light time if you want the battery to last!

Really the Clix is a dark horse. I am in NY and had to travel all the way into the city to find one. That may be another plus..if you are the type that wants something a bit different than your neighbor, this IRiver will answer that call too. But more than anything, in my opinion it's the finest player currently available and seems very well made.
on December 1, 2007
Verified Purchase
I've had my iRiver Clix 2 8GB for a month now and I love it. I could look up and list all of its features, but you can probably find them yourself. These are the things that sold it to me:

Plays Ogg Vorbis files. Most of my music is in .ogg, so this was necessary if I didn't want to re-encode to .mp3.

Flash storage. I knew I would be carrying this player around and using it in the car. I didn't want to worry about damaging a HDD-based player going over bumpy roads or carrying it around in a bag, or maybe even exercising while carrying it.

Battery life. iRiver claims 24 hours of battery life for this player. You probably won't get quite that, but I generally get around 20 hours. I usually top up the player once a day, but if I forget, it is still ready to run for another full day at work and in the car.

Accessible via drag-and-drop. It's nice that you don't have to use special software to transfer files on and off the player. If you prefer to use Windows Media Player, it supports syncing to that as well. Also, you can delete files off the player using the player's interface. You can browse the player via the file folders that are on the player, or you can look through by artist, song name, album, and genre as defined in the ID tags on your music files.

Playlists. The clix supports playlists, but if you want named playlists you have to create them with iRiver's software. You can manipulate a "quick list" on the player on-the-go if you feel like spontaneously making a playlist. The clix also supports ratings for songs and can play a playlist of the songs you have rated the highest. Additionally, because of how you can browse your music by artist, album, song, and genre, you might find that it is easy enough to play songs that you would want to use a playlist for normally. For example, maybe you want to play all the songs on an album in track order? Browse to an album, click "Play All", and the Clix will play all of the songs in that album in track order. Want them in a random order? You can change to shuffle mode. Want to start at a certain song and then play the rest of the album that comes after? The Clix does that easily as well.

Some of the nice-to-have features that I have used are:

Ability to play videos. I didn't think I'd use it, but I have put a few music videos on the player and watch them on my lunch break sometimes.

Themeable. I love that you can put different themes on the Clix. The formats could be more accessible, but there are over 100 themes out there to choose from, so you are sure to find something you like. I switch out the theme on my clix every week for variety. You can also load a picture onto the clix and set it as your background. Additionally, you can set the clix's UI to any of four orientations: Landscape (0), Portrait (270), Landscape (180), and Portrait (90). You can also adjust the brightness of the screen and set the UI font to any TrueType font you have.

Some of the nice features that I haven't used yet are:

FM radio. I was hoping I could use this to listen to talk radio at work, but alas, the reception at my desk is non-existent.

Recording. The Clix can record from its built-in mic (for notes to yourself, or recording lectures) or from the radio.

Flash games. The Clix can play Flash games that are made for it. It comes with a few. I've never played them other than taking a quick look when I got it, but if I was stuck somewhere and bored, I could see how they would be a nice distraction.

Reads text files. If I didn't feel like printing out the file on paper or carrying my laptop, I could put the file on my Clix. I have never used this, but I suppose it might be nice if you wanted to store addresses, email addresses, or phone numbers.

Pictures. The clix can view pictures and you can set a picture as your background on the player. You can also create playlists of pictures for the player to cycle through.

Preset and custom EQs and Fade-in. The clix has preset EQs for different music types and you can also set your own.

Other comments:

The player is small. Smaller than a credit card, but thicker, obviously. I have relatively small hands and I can hold and operate the player with one hand comfortably and without fear of dropping it. You might think that with the buttons on the sides and the face of the player, you would accidentally click them, but it is easy to hold the player in your hand and click the buttons with your fingers without hitting anything you don't mean to.

The functions for the side buttons are written on the back. You might think this would be annoying and confusing, but there are only a few buttons and they are grouped together on different sides of the player. I had their positions memorized in less than a day. The bonus to this is that since there is no writing on the face of the player it looks very sleek.

The screen looks great and is bright. The clix comes with a screen protector already installed to protect the screen from scratches.

The Now Playing screen will display album art if you have it loaded into your .mp3 player's tag. iRiver's included software can do this for your files if you do not have it done already. Unfortunately, there is no album art support for .ogg files.

The front of the Clix is very shiny. This makes it look nice, but as soon as you touch it, it will have fingerprints on it. If you buy the player, you just have to be willing to accept that. On the upside, unless the player is has light shining directly on it and you are looking straight at it, you probably won't see the fingerprints anyway. You can wipe the fingerprints off the player easily enough, but it's a futile effort. Of course, you might want to buy a case for it, in which case this wouldn't matter.

Just about any setting you might want to adjust to your taste can be done via the player's interface. You can set any of the display options I mentioned above as well as change the screen brightness, whether the player goes to sleep or shuts down when it is inactive and how long it should wait, how fast long text scrolls in the interface, and more. Having said that, most of the defaults are pretty sensible.

The player comes with a mini CD of included software, some earbud headphones, and a standard-to-mini USB cable. The cable is how you get data onto and off the player and also how you charge it. The connectors are actually USB standard, so if you lose or break your cable, you should be able to find another one. The player supports USB 2.0, so transfers are quick if you have USB 2.0 ports on your computer. If you want to charge the player when you will be away from a computer, you will have to buy a charger. If you do, make sure you get a charger for the Clix 2, as the connector is not the same as the connector for the Clix 1. Of course, the Clix is capable of being charged and playing music, videos, etc at the same time.

Two minor downsides to this player: the volume buttons are not in the order you would think in the standard layout (lower volume is on the right, raise volume on the left as you look at the front of the player, eventually you get used to it), and the support from iRiver is a little spotty. I haven't tried to contact them, so I don't know how their customer support is, but their web sites could be better and the included documentation is somewhat sparse and poorly written/translated. The upside is that the clix and clix 2 are well supported by several enthusiast forums where people are willing to answer your questions and have probably already written step-by-step instructions to do what you want in the FAQs.

I would definitely recommend this player to anyone, but especially if you are interested in any of the features that distinguish it from others on the market.
Verified Purchase
**2nd EDIT** I think I paid $186 for the device, but it retailed at $240. The $300 it costs right now is ridiculous. I really love it (and it's still a joy to use, months later), but I wouldn't spend more than $240 on it out of principle. The new iPhone is $200.

**EDIT** In the video I mention that you can't listen to music while playing Flash games, which was true when the product was released. However, the new firmware update fixes that problem, so I apologize for not checking that out.

When I was shopping for a new, small mp3 player I really wanted to see more reviews that demo the device but also discuss the features, and so I thought I'd try doing one now that I have my new Clix!

I apologize for sounding dorky and my speech impediment (cluttering). This is my first crack at a video review and I did the best I could in one take (filming and editing it myself). Oh, and my nails are long because I play classical guitar.

Just to give you a quick rundown of the pros/cons...

Pros:
-Very nice battery life (Li-py)
-Extremely bright, high quality AMOLED screen
-Intuitive navigation (D-click and smart key work great)
-Fast! It's quick to charge, load content onto, and skimming pictures and videos and such on the device.
-Not obtrusive at all at the gym (lightweight, nice form factor, good with the misticaudio silicone case)
-Impressive sound quality (even on low-end headphones) and video quality
-Completely customizable (theme and font)
-Actually usable FM radio
-Flash games!
-You can create playlists on the computer (my Sansa c250 couldn't) or a quick list on the device
-Voice/FM radio recorder (can filter out noise for the mic)
-Stylish (and unique)
-Fun to use (I still haven't gotten bored with it)
-It actually has a very customizable equalizer

Cons (very nit-picky):
-Expensive (though well worth it)
-Hold button can be hard to get to
-You have to get used to the volume keys' orientation
-No bookmarking on podcasts
-The iRiver Plus 3 software is nothing special, but if you drag-and-drop music you have to rebuild the database on the device
-An output to TV would've been nice
-If you really want to be nit-picky, the screen could be a tad bigger, but then you'd lose some of the nice form factor and big easy-to-find buttons
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on December 17, 2007
I have had my iriver clix gen 2 8gbs for about two weeks now and think the world of the little player. I paid 200 dollars for the player, as right now iriver is having a promotion that knocks off 24 dollars of the price, also I bought the item from J and R audio.

First off let me address the complaint that the player costs too much for 8gbs, well that actually depends on how you look at it, yes for 50 dollars more you could easily get the zune 80 and for another 100 you could get yourself an archos 605 wifi 30gbs, but i believe the main reason why I bought this player is simply because, I wanted a great sounding music player.

I wanted a player that could hold it's own even with crappy headphones, this player does that and more, the srs wow function on the iriver seriously makes it absolutely incredible. I have played everything from kanye west to handel's messiah and thought the quality of audio was beyond comparison. It is worth mentioning that I owned an ipod classic, which i sold, to invest in my iriver, apple knows laptops but not really mp3 sound quality.

but i digress, if you want an excellent sounding mp3 player, (cnet gave it an 8.7) then get this little gem, the other facilities of the player are too numerous to mention from the fantastic fm radio to voice recording to even having flash sudoku.

also if you dont like the stock headphones, I would recommend switching them out for some vmoda bass freq headphones ($30 on amazon) from even better sound quality.
on December 28, 2007
Verified Purchase
The HW works well. Plays music and video well. The screen is very good for a MP3 player. Menu system is intuitive, which is good because the manual is terrible. Downloading TiVo content to the player is a 2 stage process, converson from TiVo to MPEG 4, then a iRiver utility to get it to play on the player.

The manual was obviously written by non-native english speakers. It is also confusing, sometimes it seems to contradict itself. Finally, there really isn't enough detail in the manual, I guess most people don't read manuals, but I'd like to have more detail on how to work the play, issues and resolutions, etc.

Support: I couldn't get the iRiver Clix utility to download video to the player (or even recognize it). The website's knowledge base is crude and I couldn't figure out how to get any type of support. The support email address listed in the site (for the USA) seems to be invalid, at least that's the message I got when I sent it an email describing my problem.

Fortunately, I've been able to work around or live with issues I have. If this player has any real problems or if I couldn't have gotten it to do what I wanted, there would be no way to get help (that I could find anyway).
on January 24, 2008
My Gen2 8GB Clix is only a few days old, but I like it quite a lot.

First impressions: It's tiny. The pictures you see of it online don't do it justice. Once you get it in your hands... the thing is small. If you want a light, compact MP3 player, the Clix is perfect. And since it is flash based (solid-state memory) in addition to being small, it's a great player for people who are working out or are constantly on the go.

The player face is very sleek. The screen is crisp. It's not very big, of course, but the player as a whole is smaller than a credit card. Navigating the player is very intuitive. A couple of the lesser-used options might take some figuring out, but they're very easy to access once you figure out how in a minute or two.

There's a programmable smart button which you can program to do a variety of different tasks when you push it. Currently, I have it return to the home menu. Definitely a nice feature to help navigate an already easy menu system.

The D-Click system they use is great. The face plate serves as four directional buttons (up/down/left/right) and there's no labels cluttering the face. As you move through the menu system, different icons will appear on the four sides of the screen which relate to the four buttons around the face. Just press the side of the face plate in that corresponds with the icon you want. After a few minutes, you begin to memorize the menus and can then rapidly click through the menus to get to where you want to be. Also, several different screens have additional menus if you hold down one of the sides. For example... holding "left" down while on the song-playback screen will bring up a variety of music playback options.

There's five buttons around the spine of the player. Two for volume, one for power, a smart button (the programmable one), and a hold slider. There's labels for these buttons on the back of device which is somewhat annoying at first. However, you'll remember the location of these buttons in a few hours and will be thankful that the labels are on the back of the device and not on the front.

I'm a fan of the rating system on the Clix. Since getting my music on the device, I've been assigning ratings to most every song (0 - 5 stars). This allows you to instantly generate a playlist based on rating. You can have the Clix play songs that are rated X stars or higher. So, if you want to listen to your favorite songs, you can have it create a playlist of 4 stars or higher, and it will play all 4 and 5 star rated songs. This allows you to create a variety of playback options. For example, if you only want to listen to some really good songs, set the playlist to 4 or 5 stars. If you want access to a larger variety of songs, then set it to 3 or 2. It also has your typical by artist, by album, and by genere playback abilities.

There's so much more I could say about it, but those are the biggest points in my experience thus far. I've been getting a decent battery life on a full charge (about two days of near-constant useage when not sleeping or driving).

One word of warning, however: if you are thinking about picking up the cradle... don't. The cradle only offers one very weak external speaker in addition to what the Clix can already do. Charging through the cradle is still done through your computer. The only thing that seems neat about the cradle is that it makes for a nice stand while the Clix charges (whoopdidoo?) The cradle only set me back twenty Washington's.

So... definitely get a Clix Gen2 8GB player... and definitely skip getting the cradle.
on January 7, 2008
This is my 3rd iRiver clix and the first Gen II. the first one from Amazon arrived with a dead screen. Amazon was quick to replace it. The second one had a battery life of 5 to 6 hours playing Audible books on low volume. I knew from my other iRivers that this was grossly subpar. After a couple of emails to iRiver, they agreed to repair. It took 3 months and 3 phone calls to get the unit back. The problem persists. Further emails to iRiver about a replacement have been ignored.

The product (when it works correctly) is great. We have loved our Gen I units and they have continued to operate well in spite of heavy use and abuse. I have little doubt that if I had been lucky in the draw of a Gen II unit I would be equally enchanted. However, iRiver has to have the worst support service in America making the warrenty worthless.
on December 26, 2007
Verified Purchase
This is our third MP3 player and I have to say this is the best I have seen. It is so easy to use and no quirks at all with Windows Vista compatibility. It looks big in pictures but it is a great small size, about like a credit card though a little thicker. The on/off buttons are easy, no hard pressing or guessing. You press the sides of the face plate to click through the menus. Great colors, easy to drag and drop songs. It does all the work for you. Just pop in the software disk and let it install, then it prompts you to look for songs on the computer and loads them before you have to do anything. You can delete or add others easily. I am very happy with my purchase and compared to others that I have had it is worth the price. I love iRiver!
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on December 29, 2007
I was a bit hesitant to actually buy this product, even with all the outstanding reviews online. I mean, it's the top rated mp3 player on Cnet, and that's gotta mean something, right? Right! I can't believe how amazing this mp3 player is! Not only is it very small (but not too small, like the iPod Nano, in my opinion) but it's very user friendly as well. The Clix 2 uses a sort of a touch panel to navigate, which is odd at first. After a few seconds, though, it's almost second nature.

The screen, in one word, is FANTASTIC. I do wish it was a bit bigger because of videos, but I can't knock it for what it is. It's got a fancy name for the screen, but that doesn't mean anything to 99% of us. I'll tell you, however, it's gorgeous. No matter how you tilt it, you always get a clear picture. Videos are nice and crisp, as well as pictures and album art.

Sound quality, which was my main concern, is absolutely INCREDIBLE!! This is the number one reason I would recommend this player. I can't describe how awesome music sounds on this little bugger. I've owned a few iPods in my time, as well as a Zune. This blows them all away, without hesitation. If you want great sounding music (as well as a kick-butt SRS WOW! equalizer system), buy this product!!

Enough said.
on January 1, 2008
Verified Purchase
I just got mine today, and I couldn't possibly be more in love with it. After my Sansa e260 broke, I was trying to decide between this and an ipod nano (gen 3). I decided that for the same price, I couldn't live without drag-and-drop files, so I went with this, and now all I can say is WOW.

Why I like it:
Drag and drop files (no iTunes, yay!)
the MOST GORGEOUS screen I've ever seen
a great interface (d-clix)
gorgeous look (no buttons on the front! trust me, it looks awesome)

I haven't found any major downsides yet, I'll amend the review if I do. It's rare for me to say this (I'm fairly cheap), and I know I couldn't say this about the ipod: this player is worth EVERY CENT.

See 1 answered question