on May 29, 2012
I first tried a pair of the Timberland Pro Direct Attach light brown boots in size 11D at a local store. They squeezed my feet a bit side to size, so I figured the wide version (11W) would solve the problem. But the local store didn't have the wide sizes Timberland Pro makes, nor did they have half sizes above size 10.

Amazon.com to the rescue! :) Here I found all the sizes in-stock in both in wide and regular. I ordered an 11W from Amazon. Since 11D was too tight side to side, then 11W should be just the ticket. I ordered in dark brown this time, a color the local store didn't stock.

But to my surprise the 11W turned out to be longer in addition to (much) wider! Didn't make any sense. Going from 11D to 11W should not change the length. But it did - these were now slipping around side to side and top to bottom. The only thing I can figure is going from light brown to dark brown must have affected something. Maybe the two colors are made in different parts of the world on different machines.

Back they went thanks to Amazon's great return policy and I went down to a 10.5W on the replacement order, figuring maybe they would get smaller in both directions. Sure enough, that is what happened. The 10.5W fit perfectly. Less wide side to side and and also less long front to back. I wound up then buying a second pair of the 10.5W from Amazon.com since the first fit so well. But... here we go again with Timberland's apparently loose calibration on their fabrication machines. Same shoe, same size, same color, but this pair was now slightly tight side to side. After a day of wearing they stretched out sufficiently and are OK.

At this point I only have a few days experience with the shoes, but I would buy again, just with the expectation that how a "10.5W" fits may vary a bit from order to order.
on July 31, 2012
These boots are comfortable from day one. I had another pair of Timberland Pro boots I purchased in 2004 and wanted an exact replacement. That style was no longer available and these appeared to be the closest match. The sole is taller and different on this pair - waffle stomper soles like to pick up 1/4 minus gravel and cherry pits left by the birds. The leather almost has a synthetic feel to it - I know it isn't but it just has a strange quality. The boots tend to have a wider than usual footbed - I like having room for my foot to move in my boot. If you have a normal size foot for your shoe size and like a snug boot, these might not be the ones for you. I got a great price on Amazon and wear these boots every day in comfort.

November 25, 2012 update: The sole is kind of falling apart -- from the edges. I wish I could have bought the old boots.

February 5, 2013 update: sole continues to chunk off. I can't recommend these boots.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on October 14, 2013
I typically find Amazon Reviews to be very helpful and more often than not I'd say the average rating is spot on, so I decided to order these boots along with a couple other pairs when looking for a replacement for my tattered Wolverines. In this case I can't believe how badly the average rating fit the product.

I was really surprised when these arrived and I opened the box. I've tried Timberland's before and they had a very respectable fit and finish. My initial reaction was, "These ones HAVE to be knock-offs." They look like they were hot-glued together by a 10 year old. I can't help but think back to a pair of leather moccasins I made from a kit at summer camp as a kid. Seriously, they're put together that bad. So here goes:

The good:
- The exterior looks pretty decent.
- It appears they would break in very fast as they are assembled just like tennis shoes.
- The price is reasonable for a pair of work boots.

The bad:
- There is no edging anywhere, pieces are just cut roughly to shape and sewn on with all the edges of the fabric and insulation showing. Check out the third product image that shows the boot from the back and look closely at what you can see of the inside of the tongue... That's what the whole inside of the boot is like. Some spots aren't covered with insulation at all.
- The insoles are cheap, flat foam. I've been wearing either Durashocks or SuperFeet Orange insoles for the last few years and these are a huge letdown.
- The footbed is hard plastic with big globs of hot-glue-like cement smeared all over on both boots and several big globs that need scraped off just to avoid big bumps rubbing against my feet.
- No speed-lacing hooks near the top of the boot, so laces need to be loosened considerably when taking off.

Other:
- These are NOT insulated with Thinsulate as listed, rather they use a fabric called Thermolite. I don't know how the two compare, so I won't list as a positive or negative, just something to take note of.
- The tag says "Made in Dominican Republic."

Disappointed overall and sending them back. Not sure how this got so many rave reviews.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on May 25, 2013
These are very well made work boots. The lug soles are high quality as is the leather. The medium width is wider than normal. I have a D width foot, and even with heavy socks, these boots are too wide. There is not much arch support (but that is fairly standard).
on March 14, 2013
the toe dont hold up too well for being on your knees. but the boot is plenty comfortable, just as advertised. i do recommend this boot.
on November 13, 2013
I don't know what to make of these boots. I've owned a lot of work boots, practically a new pair every nine to twelve months for twenty plus years, although I haven't had a set of Timberland boots in almost a decade.

First thing I noticed was that they came pre-scuffed in several places even though they were clearly brand new, including what looked like vice marks on the sole. No big deal, the scuffs are small and they were going to be work boots not dress shoes. Then I noticed the welt to the sole was gouged in a couple of places, mostly across the curves of the fronts. It didn't seem to effect the seal of the sole to the body of the boot, so again for work boots it should be fine. Then the leather... This stuff had a PVC like feel to it, as though it was coated in something. Weird, not like any other leather boot I've owned but perhaps some special waterproofing. Next the synthetic material upper pad on one of the boots was cracked a bit, not a lot, but something it usually takes a winter of wear to happen. All of that and as mentioned in other reviews lined with Thermolite not Thinsulate. And that was before I tried the boots on.

Well I needed new water resistant work work boots NOW, so I was ready to accept all of that if they fit. Many other reviews list this boot as fitting loose in the width. I have always worn 10.5 D (medium width boots) and I figured it would be fine, but if not it's getting cold so I could just grab some thick socks. So I lace them up, put them on and already it seems tight in the width. Really tight. Beyond "new boots need broken in" tight. I walk down the hall and back a bit, maybe 50 yards in total. Already I feel actual pain across the top width of my feet. What in the world! I've never had anything like this.

I can only hope that by some fluke I ended up with a pair of factory seconds and this isn't typical of Timberland boot these days. Either way back they go (thank you Amazon for your great return policy) and off I go to find some replacements.
on June 9, 2012
I'm very happy with this pair of boots! Nice fit (leaving just enough room for a boot sox), good support, good traction on my hilly Oregon property, and little or no break-in was required. A good boot for the price I'm happy to recomend to anyone...
on April 3, 2012
Love these boots! The sizes run about right, heavy firm, thick soles, and good ankle support. Decent insulation and water resistance. I get 1 year out of them working on the railroad walking on rough surfaces and big gravel/ballast all day. They wear out on the back of the heel for me.
on January 17, 2011
I bought these boots a few years back while working for UPS. I needed something light, comfortable, supportive, and long lasting.

I still wear these boots to this day! I'll be buying another pair shortly, but wanted to stress how much enjoyment I have gotten out of these.

The support is unmatched, they feel tight and full of cushion! Oftentimes I'll forget i'm wearing boots! The leather is great, minimal scratching over the years i've owned this pair. The strings have never frayed, nor has the boot encoutnered any tearing or breakage at the seams.

My only grip is the squeeking you sometimes get on a floor. These aren't a full blown waterproof boot, but having a high loft tread does helps to avoid most puddles. My feet only have gotten wet working in the rain or snow all day.

Overall i'm excited to be buying another pair and i'm glad to see this color is still available!
on March 19, 2015
I always used cheap brands and i used to hate working boots!, until i discovered Timberland PRO.This is the 3rd pair that I bought.
I started using the wheat colored, and it lasted 2 years using it 6 days at week for 8 hours . very comfortable boots and also very light , when new, they have very good traccion , gradually is loosing it with time but that is normal I guess. The last one I had the sole on the right side cracked, because they weared out .
This is my first time buying the brown one, and i love it. Today I had the chance to compare the traccion, hicking on a steep hillside against some coworkers , it was like I was climbing stairs meanwhile they were slipping like they had banana peels on their boots.
Highly recommend buying these boots, every situation is different, it works perfectly for me, I hope it works for you.