Truck Month Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc A. Sinclair Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Luxury Beauty The Baby Store Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Cash Back Offer DrThorne DrThorne DrThorne  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Outdoor Recreation

on July 2, 2010
I had a Samsung home theater in a box setup for three or four years and was only satisfied with the sound quality. It wasn't great but it was better than not having surround sound at all. I purchased these Polk satellite speakers about six months ago (maybe a little longer, my memory isn't perfect) after I had upgraded my receiver from the HTIB unit to a Yamaha receiver. I ran that receiver on the HTIB speakers and passive sub and thought it was an good improvement. A little while after that I found a really incredible deal I couldn't pass up on a 10-inch active Polk Audio PSW110 sub that drastically improved the sound even further. The problem with that purchase was that the low end wasn't matched to the highs and mids. A little while later I was doing research on some speakers and ran across the Polk Audio RM75 satellite speakers. I always do a lot of online research before I make a final decision so when I was looking at the Polk website for the RM75s I noticed the Polk Audio RM85 set. Whether I was suckered into it through the good marketing prose or not, I felt the RM85s were worth the extra money so I waited for a good deal and got them very soon after that. What a difference these RM85s make hooked up with the Polk PSW110 sub. The tonal quality of the matched speakers is incredible. For satellite speakers they reproduce a very good frequency range. I recently was listening to an A/V podcast that was talking about Audyssey MultiEQ room correction technology so I started looking for receivers with this technology. There are quite a few in price ranges that I don't want to invest in personally but I found a Denon AVR-591 5.1 Channel A/V Home Theater Receiver that was reasonably priced. That has completely changed the listening experience and taken it to a completely different level than I've ever had before. The combination of the Polk RM85 satellite speakers, the Polk PSW110 active sub and the Denon AVR-591 receiver with Audyssey MultiEQ room correction technology has been the best thing that has happened to my home theater ever! I can't imagine my room environment sounding any better than it does right now. I highly recommend these speakers.
on December 4, 2008
These speakers easily fill my enclosed bonus room that is over 400 sq ft with 10ft ceilings. The center channel holds its own even during action scenes. The left and right fronts do an excellent job of filling the room even though they are located twenty feet from one another and about twenty feet from my seating position. The speakers produce excellent and clear highs. Though small, the speakers have heft. Their appearance is sleek (my wife definitely approves). A subwoofer is surely needed. These paired well with my Klipsch 10'' sub. Movies sound VERY good.

I gave the speakers four stars because I'm not sure if they measure up to another set of speakers in their price range (Klipsch Quintet III's). For starters, the Quintets can handle more power and have binding posts instead of spring clips. Also, the dual-driver (two way) technology used in the left and right front speakers of the Polks is NOT used in the rear surrounds. In the case of the Quintet III's, every satellite is the same. That being said, if you can find a killer deal on the Polks like I did - pull the trigger!
on June 28, 2013
I unboxed all the speakers and started to try to figure out which ones go where since the 85 come with 2 made for the front and 2 for the rear. The instructions leave a little to be desired - you have to use your head to figure out - oh these are the fronts (ones with 2 sided speakers). They are marked as L/R - so that is not too bad. They sound way better than my old Onkoyo - BUT you DO need a sub - these have very limited mid-low and no low freq. I have briefly tested the volume to about as loud as I have ever listed to stuff (which is pretty loud as I love me some loud music) and they performed flawlessly. For the price I don't think you can beat them.

The do NOT have banana plug jacks - they are the spring loaded wire type jacks - but my larger monster speaker wire fit in them fine.
on February 1, 2009
After a couple of months now, I am even more pleased with this system than on "day 1". Any audiophile knows that it takes a bit of tweaking to get system components working smoothly. I get nothing but praise from family and friends. The sound compliments my new projection HD system. Only the actual theater beats it. Now planning to upgrade to 7.1 from 5.1 so that I can hear all the nuances from "Doubt" and "Slumdog" soundtracks.

I like the fact that Polk has such a wide variety of compatible options. I think I will get another pair of RM8's to add to my RM85 setup.

When I bought my system, I got a free Polk subwoofer. Blows away my Sony subwoofer. Any subwoofer can "boom", but the Polk seems to pleasantly glide down another octave when the deepest basss is required (this is all subjective - I haven't got any measurements to back this up). Bottom line. The system just sounds good - on all kinds of music, especially live piano, violin, voice, brass instruments,and drums.

The only negative - this system does not sound good to me with synthesized ambience, such as "concert", "jazz", provided on my receiver. Sounds like you are in a box. I avoid all that artificial sound and just use the natural Dolby or THX or other surround processing for awesome sound.

Update: I have long since upgraded this initial Polk system to higher end (and more) Polk components. I now have 3 x VM20 for L/R/Center, 4 x RM9 for surrounds, 2x RM8 Center High, 2 x PSW505 and 1 x PSW10 for a 9.3 system. The sound is so awesome, I can't even tell you. All driven by a massive Onkyo TX-NR3008 receiver.

The PSW505s are located left/right inside matching wooden louvered closets. The PSW10 sits behind the listeners and gets the LFE signal, with volume adjusted to give non-directional punch to the seating area. I can't say enough about having multiple subwoofers. I never perceive any bass distortion, even at ear shattering levels, because the load is shared among 3 of them. Yeah, man!
on June 11, 2015
These are probably excellent speakers for a smaller room than that for which I purchased them. Perhaps I did not read the product description closely enough (I thought I did), but they are much smaller than I expected. The center speaker, which perhaps is the most important one, is very small. The picture, in my opinion, misrepresents the size of the speakers, and I believe such photos should include a ruler or yardstick to get a better sense of scale. End result is that I am compelled to buy larger speakers, and probably visit Best Buy or other store where I can see the speakers and listen to them (making it likely I will make the purchase there and not Amazon). I caution readers to appreciate how small these speakers are, which I consider more appropriate for a typical bedroom or dorm room--but not a family room.
on May 30, 2013
I made sure to research these speakers before I bought them. I got them several months ago and wanted to put them through some of what I want from speakers. Everything that I have thrown at them from my surround sound system and my new 7.1 amp, has not made me wish I hadn't bought them. I had the 7.1 amp a few weeks with Sony speakers that I was never happy with. Then I bought these Polks and instantly the difference was noticeable. I have NOTHING critical to say about these speakers. I will always have Polk as part of any system I have in the future. Perfectly happy with these. I don't believe anyone that is contemplating buyer these could be unhappy by doing so!
on December 27, 2013
I purchased these speakers to setup in a small room that didn't allow for larger traditional speakers. While small in size, these are built for great clear sound. I gave these a 5 star rating because they easily beat other satellite speakers on both price and sound quality. I would pair these with a great sub (like one from SVS Sound) and you will not be disappointed. I recommend these for anyone wanting a basic setup price but wants premium quality sound from a set of speakers.
on February 15, 2014
These where smaller then I thought they where gonna be and so I was having my doubts but they where heavy and seemed well made! Then I hooked them up and was totally shocked at how awesome they sound! Totally clear with crisp highs and no distortion and I mean these things get loud! Couldn't be more happy! They are paired with a Yamaha 375 receiver and Polk PSW110 sub and what a great match! 16x20 living room and it rocks the house with movies or music!
on August 18, 2013
The Polk Audio RM85 speakers look great and match the specs provided. The speakers came with a mounting kit so they could be wall mounted or place on a shelf or table. The sound quality is excellent as well. I have another set of Bose and Panasonic speakers and these sound as good or better than those speakers. Well worth the money.
on March 18, 2014
I ordered this package because I got good review and the price is right. I basically is only using the 4 speakers to use them as my surround sound speakers. I haven't use my center speaker yet. But the price that I paid is actually better if I buy all 5 of them. I am using the RM8 for the Surrund left right. The RM7 for my Back surround. Work very well. The only complaint that I have is the speaker connectors are the pin connector. I wish they use the banana connector.