on October 30, 2008
Verified Purchase
This HD Radio/clock alarm meets my needs, and it a good deal for the price.

PROS:
Great reception either HD or regular FM
Nice sound
2 Programmable alarms
Remote control
IPOD dock

CONS:
Alarm controls hard to navigate
Can't use many radio or remote controls for IPOD
Can't see IPOD playlist on radio display screen
Display screen clock too small for bad eyes

The radio has good sound quality and great reception for both HD and regular stations. There aren't many HD stations where I live (Boise, ID). I only listen to NPR though, and it solved the reception problem I had bought two other new clock radios to solve. (An external antenna probably would have done as well, but HD is a nice feature.) Another great thing is I can set the first alarm to come on at low volume, then the second to come on a few minutes later at higher volume. Now I wish it had more than two alarms to set, so I wouldn't have to change settings. Setting the alarm is a bit of a pain. It gives you only about 5 seconds to start adjusting before it gives up on you and jumps out of Set mode. Also you have to use one set of buttons to set the time, different buttons to set the volume, and yet another button to advance between things to set. If you don't push the right button in 5 seconds it jumps out and you start over. While on a trip recently my wife couldn't figure it out and I couldn't explain it adequately over the phone. It's that hard to do.

The IPOD functionality also is clunky. You have to use the IPOD's controls to do anything other than advance to the next song, and it doesn't show your playlist on the radio display screen. You have to try and make it out on the IPOD's display. The speakers sound great with the IPOD, though.

Apart from the clunky alarm controls, this HD radio is good quality for a very good price (especially because I got a [...] rebate--but that offer expired the end of Sept.) If Jensen addressed a few of the usability issues, this would be a terrific product.
on January 24, 2009
1/23/2009: I received the JiMS-525 in August 2008. It works well with a 3-year old iPod Mini 6 GB. The sound is okay but I was hoping for more. My wife witnessed the 27:27 A.M. issue with the clock a couple of times. The speaker noise after shutoff is noticeable but no big deal.

In December, we tried it with a 4th Generation Nano. It plays but does not charge - how annoying. Furthermore, the Nano does not shut off automatically when you turn off the radio. The Nano screen may be blank but it stealthily keeps playing until the battery is completely drained. Apparently, the JiMS-525 uses FireWire for charging. New iPods support USB only. The new Nano also does not charge in a 3-year old JBL On Stage. I did not get a response to an email so I called Jensen/Spectra Merchandising ([...] 773-202-8408, 1-800-777-5331). They acknowledged the issue and said to send it back and they will replace it with the updated version, JiMS-525i (listed some places as JiMS-525A). The Rep. was very pleasant.

I'm looking forward to trying the new "iTunes Tagging" feature. I'll comment further once we receive the JiMS-525i.

2/14/2009: I received the replacement Jims-525i about two weeks after sending back the old model (Jims-525). It charges and plays the Nano 4th Gen. The sound is about the same, good but not great. iTunes tagging is cool but available for only a few stations so far.

I am pleasantly surprised that Spectra/Jensen replaced it for free. I had the old model longer than the 90-day warranty. I give very high marks to their Customer Support.

The new model has the same set of dock adapters as the old model. I was hoping the new model would include a matching black adapter for the iPod Nano 4th Gen. The white adapter included with the Nano fits well.
on October 18, 2008
I have looked long and hard for an HD radio with an iPod dock, so I was glad to find this one. Sound quality is good. The remote control is very handy.

I had trouble tuning in the local HD radio station until I picked up a cheap indoor dipole antenna from Radio Shack (plus adapter) and mounted it in the T shape on the walll behind my bed's headboard.

My iPod Nano works great in the dock, but my second generation iPod Touch produces sound through the tiny iPod speakers and not through the radio speakers, even though the radio display shows that the iPod is connected.

Unlike my non-HD iPod docking radio from Phillips, which plays the iPod Touch correctly. Also, this radio lacks the display brightness control found on the Phillips radio.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on July 1, 2008
Very nice product. I am very picky and will only keep electronics meeting my expectations. The sound is excellent. The HD Radio is an asset I didn't realize was so available on the air. You can hear the difference. The alarm clock interface is user friendly. It also has an output which I send over to my larger stereo sometimes and it can send its alarm clock alert through your stereo when attached. kinda cool.
M only concern is if I ever get an iPhone, it probably isnt compatible. I understand they have a new unit that will but isn't out yet and I just couldn't part with this to wait!
on April 6, 2009
I was looking for an iPod dock alarm clock, and I managed to find this one after weeks of online searches and store browsing.

I have a classic iPod Video (5th generation, 30gb) and this radio worked perfectly with my iPod both in controlling the iPod as well as charging it. It also has a separate input for your third party MP3 players, and video out for those that want to watch videos on a TV while using the radio as the speakers and keeping your iPod charging. For those with iPods, this is a full-featured radio and I assure you that you won't be disappointed with the capabilities.

The sound quality is fantasic for such a small unit. The FM radio (honestly, I don't use AM radio, so I can't comment on the AM radio) is simply perfect for my needs. The HD tuner worked well and having 20 presets seemed to fit my needs as I only had about 19 total stations in my area.

The alarms (there are two settings) do offer a good deal of personalized settings, but there are a few minor issues (in my opinion) here: 1) The alarm only stays active for an hour after you set the time and 2) The snooze timer is not adjustable. Otherwise, the alarms are well featured including wake to iPod, Radio or Buzzer, two independent time settings, alarm volume setting, and an escalating alarm sound.

The remote is small and there is a slight delay when you press the buttons, however I am not normally used to having a remote for my alarm clock, so having a remote at all was a true bonus for me.

The only other complaint I have is the brightness of the display. There are only two settings and honestly, they are both a little too dim for my needs. Those that are worried about the clock lighting up the room need not worry.

I feel that the value of the system far exceeds the cost in this case, if nothing else for the fact of the HD radio. Make no mistake, this device stands out from amongst the pack of other alarms... IMHO 2nd only to a BOSE system.
on December 23, 2008
Don't get this. I've gone through 2 of them and withing 1 week both exhibit the same problem. If your alarm goes off at 7am and continues to play the radio till 7:24am, the clock will freeze up and display 27:24 as the time from then on. The only way to reset is unplugging the power cord and resetting everything. This thing should be recalled to fix this issue.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on March 3, 2009
I bought this on sale for $88. Originally I thought I had a steal of a deal, then I opened the box. Actually the features are quite nice. It does scrolling song titles from the radio, does include HD FM, works with Itouch 2G Ipods, has an aux input, a SVHS output for video, and has a remote. The unit feels quite sturdy which I thought would help the bass response, but unfortunately does not. Right out of the box the display had segments that would not display. The 30 pin connector would not work with my case on my Itouch. There were other brands of docking stations that I tested that it would not work on, but most of them would. When I did get it to work, I found that the only functions it would perform on my Itouch was play/pause, and next/previous songs. I tried to convince myself that I could live with it, but the sound quality was just way too sub par. It reminded me of my first set of speakers I bought for my home computer for $10. I'm returning it for something with better sound, even if I have to sacrifice some functionality.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on August 12, 2009
Worked ok for a few months, then the display stopped working. I can't see what time it is or what station or song is playing. Of course it's no longer under warranty.

Nice features, but useless when the item stops working.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on December 14, 2008
Just got the radio. It's fun to see what HD stations are available

PROS: relatively inexpensive - contrary to what's listed in the instructions, the radio WILL turn on directly into an HD subchannel - the alarm settings include a volume control, so you won't inadvertently blast yourself in the morning if you changed the volume the last time you listened to the radio

CONS: the memory presets can only be set and accessed thru the remote - what happens if/when you lose the remote? - there's a delay when pushing any control button (volume, changing stations, etc) - have to play with the reception/antenna a bit
on August 31, 2008
It sounds nice, but has a distinct buzzing noise for a second or two when it turns off. I returned the first radio, thinking it was defective, but the replacement makes an annoying buzzing sound as well.

Your Recently Viewed Items and Featured Recommendations